You know what’s handy? Waking up in the morning, firing up your phone/computer and being able to scan a super quick (but curated) rundown of the best of what lies ahead. So here it is, our list of fun things to do in Los Angeles for today, Thursday, January 9, 2020.
May it lead you to adventure!
[IMPORTANT: Want our latest ‘things to do’ rundowns sent straight to your email inbox? Sign-up for our newsletter program]
Keep in mind for some of the ticketing options we utilize affiliate links and receive a commission if you purchase through our links (affiliates noted in parenthesis).
1. [7 a.m.] The Roadium Open Air Market in Torrance hosts Thrifty Thursday every month featuring vintage vendors and DJ-spun tunes.
2. [3 p.m.] The annual LA Kings Holiday Ice happening at L.A. LIVE’s Microsoft Square is a daily outdoors holiday skating rink. Open November 30, 2019 through January 12, 2020.
3. [6 p.m.] The Downtown Art Walk brings art enthusiasts, art galleries and locals together every second Thursday of each month for a night of exploration. FREE
4. [7 p.m.] The Underground Jazz Sessions at The Continental Club. FREE
5. [7:30 p.m.] Couples Therapy features stand-up couples (romantic or just friends) doing sets together. Hosted by real-life married couple Naomi Ekperigin and Andy Beckerman the show takes over The Virgils stage with four additional couples.
6. [7:30 p.m.] Seinfeld Trivia at The Friend Bar in Silver Lake.
7. [8 p.m.] Head down to Scum and Villainy Cantina in Hollywood for Cosmic Karaoke night. There is no cover for this event.
8. [various] Free museum day: Japanese American National Museum (from 5 to 8 p.m.), MOCA Grand & MOCA Geffen (from 5 to 8 p.m.), Skirball Cultural Center (noon to 5 p.m.), USC Pacific Asian Museum (5 to 8 p.m.) and Long Beach Museum of Art (3 to 8 p.m.) FREE
9. [various] Turning Old into New: Days Makers Residency & Fabric Donation at ICA Los Angeles. Artist Milan DelVecchio and choreographer / costumer designer Jmy James Kidd will be in residence at the gallery this week offering hands-on guidance to make your own functional or decorative mat / 2-dimensional fiber art pieces. FREE
10. [various] Santa Monica Restaurant Week returns January 6-12 with over 35 restaurants creating a unique dish with one unifying star ingredient, the kumquat. Scroll down to our Food Pick of the Week for highlights and suggestions.
#SPONSORED DEAL OF THE DAY: $21 tix to Chamber Music and Wine Tasting at Walt Disney Concert Hall (via Goldstar)