You know what’s handy? Waking up in the morning, firing up your phone/computer and being able to scan a super quick (but curated) rundown of the best of what lies ahead. So here it is, our list of fun things to do in Los Angeles for today, Saturday, October 12, 2019.
May it lead you to adventure!
[IMPORTANT: Want our latest ‘things to do’ rundowns sent straight to your email inbox? Sign-up for our newsletter program]
Keep in mind for some of the ticketing options we utilize affil®iate links and receive a commission if you purchase through our links (affiliates noted in parenthesis).
NOTE: Whatever you plan on for today, be sure to stay updated on the latest alerts from LAFD regarding the #SaddleRidgeFire and associated evacuations or freeway closures. Stay safe!
1. [9 a.m.] 14th Annual Los Angeles Archives Bazaar is an L.A. history buff’s dream. Local institutions and archives will have experts on hand to show off rare collections and answer questions, plus guests can enjoy a day-long program of presentations and workshops.The event is free, but USC campus parking rates apply.
2. [9 a.m.] Head to this year’s IndieCade to check out independent video games from around the world. Guests will be able to preview and play games, join in on forums and workshops with the signature event “Night Gaming”, featuring gameplay underneath the night sky. Happening Oct. 10-12.
3. [9:30 a.m.] The Natural History Museum’s latest exhibition dives into the scientific inspiration behind some of Hollywoods most terrifying creatures. “Natural History of Horror” opens October 10 and runs through April 19, 2020. It includes rare movie props, film footage, activities and museum specimens.
4. [11 a.m.] The DTLA Oyster Festival is a two-day event at Grand Central Market (organized by Oyster Gourmet) bringing oyster farmers and oyster lovers together to celebrate all-things-oyster. For guests, it’s an opportunity to shuck their way through a variety of oyster source from farms all over the United States. Admission is free, with oysters available for purchase.
5. [1 p.m.] Come celebrate the third birthday of Frogtown Brewery with live music, art, food, a beer garden, as well as a slew of exclusive beer releases in bottles, cans, and tap.
6. [11 a.m.] The 14th annual Pasadena ArtWalk brings an afternoon of art, music and activities to the Playhouse District in Old Pasadena. The free event highlights some of the top Southern Californian visual artists showcasing their work in painting, sculpture, watercolor, photography, mixed media, ceramics, jewelry, drawings, and printmaking. FREE
7. [11 a.m.] The Original Farmers Market’s annual Fall Festival happening October 12-13 offers plenty of family-friendly fun, including a pumpkin patch, petting zoo, arts and crafts, pie-eating contests, and plenty of live music.
8. [11 a.m.] Culver City Art Walk and Roll Festival returns with a block party on Washington Blvd featuring distinguished artists, live music, eclectic food trucks, wine and beer gardens, tastings, fun kid’s activities, interactive art experiences, and more. FREE
9. [5:30 p.m.] Rancho Santa Ana Botanic Garden’s family-friendly night time event Things That Go Bump in the Night (October 11-12) invites the public to explore the grounds, get to know nocturnal animals that call the garden their home and capture a view of night-blooming flowers and carnivorous plants.
10. [6:30 p.m.] Spooky season is in full effect at San Fernando Valley Halloween Drive-In Nights, where you can enjoy a classic horror film at the Lake Balboa Complex. Park your vehicle, listen to the movie via your radio speakers, and take in a double feature to match the season. For Saturday, October 12, The Addams Family and The Exorcist will be screened. Check for discount tickets before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
#SPONSORED DEAL FOR THE DAY: $69 tix to Halloween Horror Neights at Universal Studios (via Goldstar)
The Best Things to do in L.A., straight to your inbox! Sign Up For Our Email List And You Receive...
- Two emails a week, Monday AM and Thursday AM.
- Monday: The best of the week ahead. 30+ ideas.
- Thursday: What to do this weekend. 30+ ideas.
- Occasional emails with special offers and messages from promotional parters.
- Optional emails for daily to-dos, travel tips, food recommendations, and deals.Basically, just think of us as your friend making some fun suggestions for what you might like to check out this day or week or month in L.A. Sign-up in the form below to join over 66,000 Angelenos who already subscribe!