You know what’s handy? Waking up in the morning, firing up your phone/computer and being able to scan a super quick (but curated) rundown of the best of what lies ahead. So here it is, our list of fun things to do in Los Angeles for today, Wednesday, October 17, 2018.
May it lead you to adventure!
[IMPORTANT: Want our latest ‘things to do’ rundowns sent straight to your email inbox? Sign-up for our newsletter program]
Keep in mind for some of the ticketing options we utilize affiliate links and receive a commission if you purchase through our links (affiliates noted in parenthesis).
1. [11 a.m.] Visit the Annenberg Space for Photography as it welcomes its newest exhibit The National Geographic Photo Ark, a multi-year project led by Joel Sartore to photograph every living species throughout the world’s zoos and wildlife sanctuaries. The exhibit opens on October 13 and continues through January 13. Hours for the space are Wednesday and Friday through Sunday. FREE
2. [6:05 p.m,] Griffith Observatory offers a Sunset Walk & Talk one evening a month led by a Park Ranger and museum guide. FREE
3. [7 p.m.] The Garvey Ranch Observatory will host an evening of astronomy with members of the Los Angeles Astronomical Society. Guest will have a chance to go into the dome to view the stars, enjoy a star party on the lawn, and learn how to build their own telescope. The observatory is open to the public on Wednesday nights only. FREE
4. [7 p.m.] Every Wednesday The Continental Club in DTLA features live jazz hosted by Matthew Yeakley plus complimentary mini cupcakes from Big Man Bakes. No cover!
5. [7 p.m.] Critically acclaimed, avant-garde haunt Creep returns with ‘Awake.’ The walkthrough thrusts participants through a 75-minute series of horrific situations in a shockingly cinematic fashion. As a result, you are placed face-to-face with your worst fears, presenting an incredibly unique and intimate horror experience. Happening at ROW DTLA on select Wednesdays through Sundays.
6. [8 p.m.] It’s trivia night at Grand Central Market this Wednesday on the Broadway side of the food hall.
7. [8:30 p.m.] The Super Serious Show is a comedy event produced by CleftClips featuring both established and up-and-coming talent performing an array of stand-up, sketch and musical comedy. Happening at The Virgil.
8. [various] DTLA Film Fest (Oct. 17-21) happening at Regal L.A. LIVE and various other venues near by will screen 31 feature films, 77 short films, TV pilots and webseries episodes. This year will also mark the launch of Immersive, the festival’s first VR-AR series.
9. [various] L.A.’s pop-up museum catalogue is growing larger this fall with The Pizza Experience – a multi-sensory pizza themed walkthrough. Explore giant installations, an oversized cheese pool, a pizza hall of fame, pizza theme-flavored snacks throughout, actual pizza slices and more. The Pizza Experience runs through January 29. Check for discounted tickets before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
10. [various] Los Angeles’ favorite pampering bi-annual event Spa Week is back, with some of the best relaxation and self-care deals to be found from top spas for just $50.
DEAL OF THE DAY: Use the promo code WINGS18 to save $10 on online tickets to this Saturday’s Hot Wings & Craft Beer Fest at Santa Anita Park, featuring an assortment of creative wing samples, plenty of cold brews, and racing action.
Want more ideas for upcoming things to do in L.A.? Check out our Los Angeles events calendar.