You know what’s handy? Waking up in the morning, firing up your phone/computer and being able to scan a super quick (but curated) rundown of the best of what lies ahead. So here it is, our list of fun things to do in Los Angeles for today, Monday, October 8, 2018.
May it lead you to adventure!
[IMPORTANT: Want our latest ‘things to do’ rundowns sent straight to your email inbox? Sign-up for our newsletter program]
Keep in mind for some of the ticketing options we utilize affiliate links and receive a commission if you purchase through our links (affiliates noted in parenthesis).
1. [7 a.m.] In celebration of Indigenous Peoples Day (formerly Columbus Day) this Monday head to the Los Angeles Civic Center for a sunrise ceremony, Native American powwow, 5K run, a performace by Native American rock group Redbone and more. Activities take place all day. FREE
2. [9 a.m.] There’s a Great Pumpkin Hunt happening at the South Coast Botanic Garden daily featuring an imaginative scavenger hunt, light hiking, a pumpkin shop and access to the gorgeous 87-acre grounds. Great for families. Halloween costumes are welcome.
3. [6 p.m.] The Gay Poppers Sunset Salon Series presents Transport//Connection: Experimental video, sounds, and performance centering the expansiveness of Black art. FREE
4. [7 p.m.] Lenny Kravitz plays the Hollywood Palladium.
5. [7 p.m.] Paint Nite at Iron Triangle Brewing.
6. [7 p.m.] Head to Frogtown’s artist-run space Tin Flats every Monday and Tuesday now until Nov. 27 for a free drive-in movie screening curated with some very special programming. Presented by The French Los Angeles Exchange, this project presents films, performances and exhibitions from artists in the program, as well as a film that echoes their own work. FREE
7. [various] Beyond Fest, Los Angeles’ strangest, scariest, and largest genre film festival returns Sep. 26 to Oct. 9 with another year of bold programming. Sharing a newfound partnership with Hulu and Shudder, 2018’s program boasts an absolutely massive lineup – the festival’s biggest yet – of fan-favorites, nightmares, and oddities, along with bold premieres.
8. [various] L.A.’s pop-up museum catalogue is growing larger this fall with The Pizza Experience – a multi-sensory pizza themed walkthrough. Explore giant installations, an oversized cheese pool, a pizza hall of fame, pizza theme-flavored snacks throughout, actual pizza slices and more. The Pizza Experience runs through January 29. Check for discounted tickets before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED(via Goldstar)
9. [various] Take a break from your dietary restrictions at Cheat Day Land, Los Angeles’ newest pop-up museum celebrating the snacks and treats that we dream of during our workouts. Featured installations and experiences ranging from a donut gym with pastry dumbbells to a life-size cereal bowl, an art gallery, and much more. Cheat Day Land is here for an entire month, from October 1-31. Check for discounted tickets before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
10. [various] Two Bit Circus a new “Micro Amusement Park,” inside a 50,000-square-foot warehouse in the Arts District hosts a wide range of gaming activities including VR experiences, classic arcade games, and Story Rooms.
DEAL OF THE DAY: Santa Anita Park’s first ever Bacon Bash offers live horse racing action unique bacon-inspired bites, and craft beer samplings, all on Sunday, October 14. We Like L.A. readers can save $10 on tickets by using the special promo code BACON18 when purchasing tickets.
Want more ideas for upcoming things to do in L.A.? Check out our Los Angeles events calendar.