You know what’s handy? Waking up in the morning, firing up your phone/computer and being able to scan a super quick (but curated) rundown of the best of what lies ahead. So here it is, our list of fun things to do in Los Angeles for today, Sunday, December 16, 2018.
May it lead you to adventure!
[IMPORTANT: Want our latest ‘things to do’ rundowns sent straight to your email inbox? Sign-up for our newsletter program]
Keep in mind for some of the ticketing options we utilize affiliate links and receive a commission if you purchase through our links (affiliates noted in parenthesis).
1. [10 a.m.] Unique Markets brings their holiday shopping experience to the Santa Monica Pier on December 15-16. Explore over 200 independent businesses, snag a free tote bag, participate in DIY workshops and plenty more during this weekend long gathering.
2. [10 a.m.] LACMA will host an opening ceremony for The Jeweled Isle: Art from Sri Lanka, the first comprehensive survey of Sri Lankan art organized by a U.S. museum. Guests will witness an oil lamp lighting ceremony followed by traditional Sri Lankan dances and drumming by the Sri Lanka Foundation Performing Arts and Thath Jith Dance Company. FREE
3. [11 a.m.] Winterfest at Santa Anita Park kicks off the holiday season in style. This family-friendly event includes a visit from Santa Claus, horse drawn carriage rides a Santa’s Village and petting zoo, carolers, seasonal foods, 80+ vendors and much more. Winterfest continues Thursdays through Sunday from November 23 through December 23. Check for discounted tickets before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
4. [11 a.m.] Hera Collective Holiday Marketplace returns for a shopping event highlighting talented female makers in LA. 10% of all ticket sales will be donated to ProjectQ.
5. [noon] Today is the last day to check out Canon PORTALS at Third Street Promenade in Santa Monica (Nov. 29 – Dec 16). The special photography experience features photo-walks, workshops, and on-site camera experts. FREE
6. [1:45 p.m.] There’s a Holiday Pet Pageant happening right in the heart of the Arts District Triangle this Sunday where pets will experience a photoshoot that will be entered into a contest where 12 winners will be selected for a 2019 calendar. There will be food trucks and live entertainment at this event.
7. [3, 5 & 7 p.m.] Christmas at the Bradbury Building is back for 2018 featuring KITKA, a women’s vocal ensemble that will take advantage of the acoustics of The Bradbury’s majestic five-story atrium to perform seasonal music from a wide variety of Eastern European and Eurasian traditions.
8. [4 p.m.] There is a special reception at Sowden House on Sunday featuring food, drinks, and entertainment related to the Sowden House and its unique history.
9. [5:30 p.m.] Descanso Gardens’ Enchanted: Forest of Light returns for another installment with a host of interactive displays and nighttime activities from November 18 through January 6, 2019 daily. This seasonal event runs daily. Check for discounted tickets before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED(via Goldstar)
10. [all day] Holiday Shop at the Block is going down at ROW DTLA December 15-16 with promotions, pop-ups and more. A percentage of the proceeds from the weekend sales will go to the LA Mission.
DEAL OF THE DAY: $18 tix to the LA Art Show 2019
Want more ideas for upcoming things to do in L.A.? Check out our Los Angeles events calendar