Happy new year’s eve, Angelenos!
You know what’s handy? Waking up in the morning, firing up your phone/computer and being able to scan a super quick (but curated) rundown of the best of what lies ahead. So here it is, our list of fun things to do in Los Angeles for today, Tuesday, December 31, 2019.
May it lead you to adventure!
[IMPORTANT: Want our latest ‘things to do’ rundowns sent straight to your email inbox? Sign-up for our newsletter program]
Keep in mind for some of the ticketing options we utilize affiliate links and receive a commission if you purchase through our links (affiliates noted in parenthesis).
PUBLIC TRANSIT REMINDER: To help you celebrate the holidays safely, all Metro bus and rail lines will provide free service on New Year’s Eve. The free rides start at 9 p.m. on Tuesday, Dec. 31, 2019 and go until 2 a.m. on Wednesday, Jan. 1, 2020. All Metro Rail Line Stations with faregates will be unlatched and fareboxes and validators will not deduct fare. More info here.
1. [9:30 a.m.] Kidspace Noon Year’s Eve is an early celebration for the little ones. Ring in the “noon year” with a party featuring live DJs, party hats, dancing and more as you countdown at the strike of noon.
2. [3 p.m.] Alcove & Big Bar have a unique annual tradition for NYE, their team of expert mixologists will offer a new “timezone cocktail” every hour staring at 3 p.m. and until the clock strikes midnight here in L.A. They’ll also be changing the music every single hour. In all, that’s ten time zones, ten cocktails, and ten playlists. Things kick off in Paris! No cover charge.
3. [6 p.m.] Head to the L.A. Zoo for a family-friendly New Year’s Eve celebration. Guests will have a chance to enjoy the L.A. Zoo Lights, dine on a dinner buffet, take a carousel ride, dance to DJ-spun tunes and watch a live broadcast of the Times Square ball drop. There will also be complimentary champagne and sparkling apple cider for toasting.
4. [7 & 10:30 p.m.] Broadway star Kristin Chenoweth, sends 2019 out with a bang at the Walt Disney Concert Hall, with two performances full of memorable songs throughout her career – including music from her new album, For the Girls. Arrive early and visit the festive NYE lounge for champagne and specialty cocktails to toast the New Year. Check for discounted tickets before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
5. [8 p.m.] Celebrate the New Year by boarding The Queen Mary and enjoying DJ sets, multiple themed experiences, a fireworks show and more.
6. [8 p.m.] Grand Park New Years Eve Celebration is our city’s flagship free NYE event with music across two stages, food trucks, photo booths, a light installation and more. FREE
7. [9 p.m.] Minimal Effort returns for another NYE night of techno and house music, this time featuring Sirus Hood, Ross From Friends, Sharam, Doc Martin, techno Lee K, and option4, along with B2B sets from Lubelski and RYBO, Detlef and Latmun, and Bart Skils and his special guest Layton Giordani spread across four stages.
8. [9 p.m.] Ring in the New Year at Prohibition. The event, now in its eighth year, will see L.A.’s Union Station transformed into a massive entertainment hub featuring burlesque shows, a live jazz ensemble, DJs, and headliner RAC.
9. [various] If VR and gaming are more your speed, check out Two Bit Circus’ during NYE. For $99, guests can get unlimited games in the venue’s midway and arcade areas, tickets to a show, two drink tickets, a champagne toast at midnight, and late-night food. Limited VIP reservations are also available, with guarantee seating, a private bar, and/or bottle service. You’ll have to call ahead to snag VIP.
10. [various] Echo Park mezcaleria, Bar Caló will be open for New Year’s Eve with no cover and a DJ tunes all night. There is a shareable food menu featuring goodies like a nacho platter, a taco platter, chips with assorted dips and more. Their full drink menu will be available and guests will have a choice of a complimentary champagne or mezcal to toast at midnight.
#SPONSORED DEAL OF THE DAY: Ring in the New Year at Skyspace, Los Angeles’ highest venue! Enjoy two floors of entertainment from three DJs, two open-air terraces, four-hour open bar, appetizers and unlimited Skyslide rides. VIP Booths are available on both floors and include admission for eight people, plus two bottles and three prix fixe appetizers for eight people. Make your plans now!