Welcome to 2020, Angelenos!
You know what’s handy? Waking up in the morning, firing up your phone/computer and being able to scan a super quick (but curated) rundown of the best of what lies ahead. So here it is, our list of fun things to do in Los Angeles for today, Wednesday, January 1, 2020.
May it lead you to adventure!
[IMPORTANT: Want our latest ‘things to do’ rundowns sent straight to your email inbox? Sign-up for our newsletter program]
Keep in mind for some of the ticketing options we utilize affiliate links and receive a commission if you purchase through our links (affiliates noted in parenthesis).
1. [8 a.m.] The annual Pasadena Tournament of Roses Parade has been a beloved tradition since 1890. On new years day the parade will cover a five-and-a-half-mile route with ticketed and free viewing spots.
2. [10 a.m.] Free admission to The Autry on New Year’s Day. FREE
3. [10 a.m.] Post-NYE Bender Brunch Featuring Live Music From The Storytellers & Wild Mountain Mystics at Spoke Bicycle Cafe.
4. [10:50 a.m.] Oshogatsu Family-Festival in Little Tokyo takes over downtowns Weller Court Shopping Center and Japanese Village Plaza with live entertainment, traditional food vendors, mochi making, music and more. FREE
5. [11 a.m.] Petty Cash Taqueria & Bar’s annual New Year’s Day Bartender’s Brunch keeps the party going with drink specials from guest bartenders, DJ playing music all day, and a complimentary champagne toast every hour on the hour.
6. [noon] The Jazz Cartel Quintet live at the Imperial Western Beer Company.
7. [2 p.m.] It’s the final day of Queen Mary Christmas. The special event will see Christmas spirit lining the famous Long Beach vessel and activities include a 26 feet tall Christmas tree, variety of holiday activities, an outdoor skating rink, live entertainment and much more.
8. [5:30 p.m.] Descanso Gardens’ Enchanted Forest of Light returns for another installment with a host of interactive displays and nighttime activities from November 17 through January 5, 2020.
9. [8 p.m.] The LA Phil presents A Viennese New Year with Zubin Mehta at the Walt Disney Concert Hall.
10. [various] The El Capitan Theatre is the prime spot to see Star Wars: Rise of Skywalker, audiences will be treated to exclusive experiences that include the Evolution of the Stormtrooper™ costume exhibit plus costumes from the new movie. Before each movie, ticketed guests can also snap a photo with First Order Stormtrooper™ at a meet-and-greet and enjoy an all-new laser and light show. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar) Open on Christmas too!