You know what’s handy? Waking up in the morning, firing up your phone/computer and being able to scan a super quick (but curated) rundown of the best of what lies ahead. So here it is, our list of fun things to do in Los Angeles for today, Wednesday, December 5, 2018.
May it lead you to adventure!
[IMPORTANT: Want our latest ‘things to do’ rundowns sent straight to your email inbox? Sign-up for our newsletter program]
Keep in mind for some of the ticketing options we utilize affiliate links and receive a commission if you purchase through our links (affiliates noted in parenthesis).
1. [10 a.m.] LA Auto Show returns with thousand cars on display. From Nov. 30 to Dec. 9 experience various car exhibits, model debuts and more at the LA Convention Center.
2. [3 p.m.] Step into a world of limitless creativity and unlock new realms of photography inside Canon PORTALS, coming to Third Street Promenade in Santa Monica (Nov. 29 – Dec 16). The ongoing series of events features photo-walks, workshops, and on-site camera experts. FREEx
3. [3 p.m.] Join Refinery29 in an immersive installation during 29rooms at The Reef (December 5-9). The event will feature 29 different interactive spaces created by artists both local and international. Experience include anonymous palm reading, sound bath, a blindfolded multi-sensory ASMR tunnel, live dance performances, and more.
4. [5:30 p.m.] Descanso Gardens’ Enchanted: Forest of Light returns for another installment with a host of interactive displays and nighttime activities from November 18 through January 6, 2019 daily. This seasonal event runs daily. Check for discounted tickets before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED(via Goldstar)
5. [sundown] Grand Park’s Winter Glow is a month-long nighttime light attraction featuring 19 large scale interactive light installations by local artists. Open to the public from December 1 – 25, 2018. FREE
6. [6 p.m.] BLVD Kitchen in Sherman Oaks will host an open house this Wednesday inviting guests to enjoy wine, hot cider, bountiful samples from chefs and preview upcoming culinary classes. The store front will also have 10-25% off on gifts.
7. [7 p.m.] This Wednesday the New York Times celebrates their new section Past Tense, and its first issue, California: A State of Change, with a live event at the Japanese American National Museum. The evening features a boozy reception followed by readings from Times journalist Amanda Hess, critic at-large Melena Ryzik, and Surfacing reporter Walter Thompson Hernandez. PLUS: Listen in on a conversation between novelist Walter Mosley and “Song Exploder” podcast host, Hrishikesh Hirway. Use the promo code SONGEXPLODER to get 50% off tickets.
8. [7 p.m.] Underground Jazz Sessions at The Continental Club.
9. [7:30 p.m.] For The Record presents the world premiere production of Love Actually Live at The Wallis. The musical will bring one of the most beloved holiday movies to life through an all-star cast and 15-piece orchestra. Playing December 4-31. Check for discounted tickets before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
10. [various] Today is National Repeal Day, the anniversary of the end of prohibition. To celebrate, a number of L.A. bars are offering drink discounts and parties. Check out the bottom portion of our week t0-do list for a bunch of ideas for Repeal Day specials.
DEAL OF THE DAY: $25 tix to Enchanted: Forest of Light at Descanso Gardens
Want more ideas for upcoming things to do in L.A.? Check out our Los Angeles events calendar