You know what’s handy? Waking up in the morning, firing up your phone/computer and being able to scan a super quick (but curated) rundown of the best of what lies ahead. So here it is, our list of fun things to do in Los Angeles for today, Friday, December 7, 2018.
May it lead you to adventure!
[IMPORTANT: Want our latest ‘things to do’ rundowns sent straight to your email inbox? Sign-up for our newsletter program]
Keep in mind for some of the ticketing options we utilize affiliate links and receive a commission if you purchase through our links (affiliates noted in parenthesis).
1. [noon] Artist Ken Salter brings his experiential installation Garden of Strange Loops: So Tonight that I Might See to Gallery 30 South in Pasadena. The exclusive exhibit will allow guests to interact with a “Reflecting Pool” while sensors track the guests movements and transform them into one-of-a-kind psychedelic images in an instant. Events will be held through January 27, 2019.
2. [3 p.m.] Step into a world of limitless creativity and unlock new realms of photography inside Canon PORTALS, coming to Third Street Promenade in Santa Monica (Nov. 29 – Dec 16). The ongoing series of events features photo-walks, workshops, and on-site camera experts. FREEx
3. [3 p.m.] Join Refinery29 in an immersive installation during 29rooms at The Reef (December 5-9). The event will feature 29 different interactive spaces created by artists both local and international. Experience include anonymous palm reading, sound bath, a blindfolded multi-sensory ASMR tunnel, live dance performances, and more.
4. [3 p.m.] Winterfest at Santa Anita Park kicks off the holiday season in style. This family friendly event includes a visit from Santa Claus, horse drawn carriage rides a Santa’s Village and petting zoo, carolers, seasonal foods, 80+ vendors and much more. Winterfest continues Thursdays through Sunday from November 23 through December 2. Check for discounted tickets before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
5. [sundown] Grand Park’s Winter Glow is a month-long nighttime light attraction featuring 19 large scale interactive light installations by local artists. Open to the public from December 1 – 25, 2018. FREE
6. [6 p.m.] The Echo Park Craft Fair returns to Mack Sennett Studios in Silver Lake on December 7-9 with over 120 curated artist, makers and food vendors. Friday is preview night!
7. [6 p.m.] Holiday Concerts in the Pasadena Playhouse District, takes place on Friday nights from November 30 through December 21. This week Little Brazil will perform in Vroman’s Courtyard FREE
8. [7:30 p.m.] The Griffith Observatory hosts a monthly forum where some of the most amazing phenomena in the known universe are explained and discussed. It’s called All Space Considered and it takes place on the first Friday of every month. FREE
9. [8 p.m.] The Pacific Opera Project presents “La bohème,” or “The Hipsters” throughout the month of December. Set to current times the show follows the story of several Los Angelenos during a cold SoCal winter as they tackle the city’s housing crises, love, jealousy and more. Happening on select days this month at Highland Park Ebell Club. Check for discounted tickets before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
10. [various] Since its the first Friday of the month check out all the cool events happening around town including block parties and art walks for First Fridays.
DEAL OF THE DAY: $25 tix to Enchanted: Forest of Light at Descanso Gardens
Want more ideas for upcoming things to do in L.A.? Check out our Los Angeles events calendar