You know what’s handy? Waking up in the morning, firing up your phone/computer and being able to scan a super quick (but curated) rundown of the best of what lies ahead. So here it is, our list of fun things to do in Los Angeles for today, Thursday, March 7, 2019.
May it lead you to adventure!
[IMPORTANT: Want our latest ‘things to do’ rundowns sent straight to your email inbox? Sign-up for our newsletter program]
Keep in mind for some of the ticketing options we utilize affiliate links and receive a commission if you purchase through our links (affiliates noted in parenthesis).
1. [11 a.m.] Head to Hauser & Wirth Los Angeles to check out ‘Annie Leibovitz. The Early Years, 1970 – 1983: Archive Project No. 1,’ an extension of the 2017 survey of the same title presented by the LUMA Foundation at the festival Rencontres d’Arles, France. The exhibition features more than 4,000 photographs taken between 1970 and 1983, spanning the artist’s early photojournalistic work for Rolling Stone Magazine to some of her most iconic portraits. ‘The Early Years’ will remain on view through April 14, 2019. FREE
2. [11 a.m. & 6:30 p.m.] Planned Parenthood’s Annual Food Fare kicks off at Santa Monica’s Barker Hangar on March 7 featuring over 150 of Southern California’s best restaurants, caterers and libation purveyors all in support of Planned Parenthood Los Angeles (PPLA) initiatives.
3. [noon] Obvious Plant’s Museum of Toys will house over 100 items created by comedian Jeff Wysaski including fake toys, actual toys with new names, and actual toys with fake facts. The show runs March 1-17 at Start Los Angeles, in Harvard Heights.
4. [4 p.m.] An installation created by design firm and technology studio VT Pro Design gets a West Coast debut at ROW DTLA. Telestron is two large-scale robotic conductors creating geometric shades through light and shadows all around guests in a seven minute light show. Open to the public Wednesday through Sunday with the end date of March 28. FREE
5. [5 p.m.] March is Women’s History Month and the historic Hotel Figueroa is partnering with LoveMade + Auragami this Thursday for an evening of healing, meditation, discussions, and workshops focused on self-love lessons. Complimentary snacks and beverages from SZENT, B.O.S.S. Food Co., and TruWomen will be provided. All guests will leave with gifts from Mecca Candle Co., FaceTory, and LOVLUV.
6. [6 p.m.] The Mar Vista Artwalk “Block Party” returns with over 65 artists and vendors, live painting, live music and more on Venice Blvd between Grandview and Inglewood. FREE
7. [6 p.m.] Head to Downtown San Pedro for First Thursday Art Walk featuring street vendors, food trucks and after hours at art galleries in the Artist District.
8. [various] Delusion: The Blue Blade is an immersive play that puts in the center of a time travel adventure narrative. After a successful run last fall, the new ‘director’s cut’ edition of the play will run through March 17 on select nights.
9. [various] The 8th Annual Wild & Scenic Film Festival comes to Laemmle in Santa Monica and Pasadena from March 6-7 for screenings of short films centered on the great outdoors.
10. [various] Dan Savage’s HUMP! Film Festival returns on select dates from February 28 through March 9. The nationwide festival showcases five-minute sex-positive ‘dirty movies’ on the big screen of The Downtown Independent in celebration of creative sexual expression.
#SPONSORED DEAL OF THE DAY: $39 tix to Cirque du Soleil Amaluna at the LA Waterfront in San Pedro
Want more ideas for upcoming things to do in L.A.? Check out our Los Angeles events calendar