You know what’s handy? Waking up in the morning, firing up your phone/computer and being able to scan a super quick (but curated) rundown of the best of what lies ahead. So here it is, our list of fun things to do in Los Angeles for today, Monday, March 9, 2020.
*** SPECIAL NOTE: On March 4, 2020 Los Angeles County declared a local health emergency in response to new Novel Coronavirus Activity (COVID-19). Per LA County’s press release, although individual risk of county residents contracting COVID-19 remains low, now is a good time to educate yourself on how the virus spreads and go over preparations you should make should the situation escalate, and more extreme measures (such as mandated social distancing) become a requirement. The County’s website has many excellent resources, including an F.A.Q. on COVID-19, and general steps you can take to stop the spread of illness, including a guide on proper hand washing. ***
[IMPORTANT: Want our latest ‘things to do’ rundowns sent straight to your email inbox? Sign-up for our newsletter program]
Keep in mind for some of the ticketing options we utilize affiliate links and receive a commission if you purchase through our links (affiliates noted in parenthesis).
1. [11 a.m.] Stop by La Luz De Jesus Gallery located inside the Soap Plant/Wacko complex for Everything but the Kitschen Sync an annual juried exhibit of over 160 pieces from 70 artists. The exhibit runs through March 29, 2020. FREE
2. [7 p.m.] Nerd Nite is a monthly event held in more than 100 cities worldwide offering 20-minute fun-yet-informative talks, all in bar settings. On Monday the series comes to The Burbank Pub with presentations on air pollution, the Mars Rover, and Medusa.
3. [7 p.m.] Insight LA hosts their weekly evening Eastside/Hollywood Forever Cemetery Sitting Group.
4. [7 p.m.] The Secret Show is a free comedy performance every second Monday of the month at The Blind Barber in Highland Park. FREE
5. [7:30 p.m.] The Tiki Bar Comedy Show comes to the Bamboo Club in Long Beach.
6. [7:30 p.m.] Astronomy on Tap hosted by Caltech Astronomy happens once a month at Der Wolf in Pasadena. Professionals will give informal talks about a variety of topics while enjoying German beers with the public.
7. [8 p.m.] Write Club LA brings its spoken word battle format to Angel City Brewery.
8. [8 p.m.] Hot Tub With Kurt And Kristen at The Virgil is one of the most popular weekly variety shows happening on a Monday in Los Angeles.
9. [various] The 22nd Annual NOIR CITY: HOLLYWOOD film festival returns for 10 nights March 6-15 of screenings. Egyptian Theatre in Hollywood, Aero Theatre and American Legion Post 43 will all take park in the festival.
10. [various] Cava Discovery Week gives Angelenos a chance to taste and learn about the popular sparkling wine from Spain. Presented by D.O. Cava from March 9-15 top bars and restaurants will be offering curated food pairings, wine flights, and happy hour specials.
#SPONSORED DEAL OF THE DAY: $2.50 tix to the Long Beach Crawfish Festival (via Goldstar)