You know what’s handy?
Waking up in the morning, firing up your phone/computer and being able to scan a super quick (but curated) rundown of the best of what lies ahead. So here it is, our list of fun things to do in Los Angeles for today, Thursday, July 12, 2018.
May it lead you to adventure!
[IMPORTANT: Want our latest ‘things to do’ rundowns sent straight to your email inbox? Sign-up for our newsletter program]
Keep in mind for some of the ticketing options we utilize affiliate links and receive a commission if you purchase through our links (affiliates noted in parenthesis).
1. [5:30 p.m.] Sizzling Summer Nights at The Autry returns for weekly nights of salsa and Latin fusion music, complimentary dance lessons, museum access, tacos and margaritas. This week Echo Park Project will perform.
2. [6 p.m.] Downtown Art Walk brings art enthusiasts and locals together every second Thursday of each month to take part in gallery tours, shop the art mart and sample nearby food trucks, and experience the overall flavor of the downtown Los Angeles Historic Core.
3. [6:30 p.m.] KCRW’s Summer Nights series is coming to the Hammer Museum for three nights of free music this July featuring live music and DJ sets alongside happy hour food trucks and cash bars. The week Still Woozy, Neil Frances and KCRW DJ Jeremy Sole will perform. FREE
4. [6:30 p.m.] Baldwin Hills Crenshaw is hosting free movie screenings this summer alongside live music, fun games and food trucks. Kicking off the event is Love Jones. FREE
5. [6:30 p.m.] Skyline Sound + Cinema partners with The Bloc, ALT 98.7 and Alamo Drafthouse Cinema for a screening of I,TONYA this Thursday.
6. [7 p.m.] French-based music label Kitsuné is collaborating with the NoMad Hotel for Kitsuné Afterwork, musical evenings taking place on the rooftop of the elegant, recently opened hotel in Downtown Los Angeles. Andre power and Them Jeans will continue the summer session. FREE
7. [7 p.m.] Back for the 15th year in a row, The Independent Shakespeare Co. presents Shakespeare in the Park at the Old Zoo in Griffith Park with free performances Wednesday through Sunday of A Midsummer Night’s Dream. FREE
8. [7 p.m.] Celebrate summer as you enjoy the arts during Symphonic Thursdays, a series of four free concerts taking place at Marina del Rey’s Burton Chace Park during July and August. Kicking off the series is Opera at the Shore – The Marina del Rey Orchestra plays arias from popular operas. FREE
9. [8 p.m.] Perfect for dog lovers, Mutt House is a musical centered around a doomed animal shelter, a boy named Eddie and six zany mutts working together to save the shelter they all call home. Performing at the Kirk Douglas Theatre in Culver City from July 15 through August 5 with previews beginning this week on July 10.
10. [various] Free museum days: Japanese American National Museum (from 5 to 8 p.m.), MOCA Grand & MOCA Geffen (from 5 to 8 p.m.), Skirball Cultural Center (noon to 5 p.m.), Long Beach Museum of Art (3 to 8 p.m.) and USC Pacific Asian Museum (5 to 8 p.m.)
DEAL OF THE DAY: $25 tix to Brew at the Zoo (via Goldstar)
Want more ideas for upcoming things to do in L.A.? Check out our Los Angeles events calendar.