You know what’s handy?
Waking up in the morning, firing up your phone/computer and being able to scan a super quick (but curated) rundown of the best of what lies ahead. So here it is, our list of fun things to do in Los Angeles for today, Thursday, August 16, 2018.
May it lead you to adventure!
[IMPORTANT: Want our latest ‘things to do’ rundowns sent straight to your email inbox? Sign-up for our newsletter program]
Keep in mind for some of the ticketing options we utilize affiliate links and receive a commission if you purchase through our links (affiliates noted in parenthesis).
1. [11 a.m.] British artist Lucy Sparrow has transformed the second floor of the Standard in DTLA into Sparrow Mart a supermarket art wonderland fill with over 31,000 adorable felt-covered food replicas all for sale. Part art installation, store and loads of photo worthy moments, Sparrow Mart open Aug 1-31 (closed on Mondays) is free to attend on a first come first serve basis. FREE
2. [4 p.m.] Third Thursdays on Brand Avenue in Glendale, features music, food, drinks, DIY activities, artisanal vendors and an after hours at the Museum of Neon Art.
3. [5 p.m.] Echo Park Rising celebrates the creativity, diversity, music and businesses of Echo Park with a four-day celebration (Aug 16-19) featuring food, drink, and amazing live music. Opening ceremonies take place at Laveta Stage today at 4:45 p.m. FREE
4. [5 p.m.] The El Segundo Art Walk taking place every third Thursday of the summer months, allows the public to get to know 40 artists in 30+ venues in downtown El Segundo. FREE
5. [7 p.m.] The Wiltern will host a Grease 40th Anniversary Celebration with a movie screening, live professional dancers and an after-show dance party this Thursday. Check for discounted tickets before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
6. [7 p.m.] Sizzling Summer Nights at The Autry returns for weekly nights of salsa and Latin fusion music, complimentary dance lessons, museum access, tacos and margaritas.
7. [8 p.m.] Enjoy free family-friendly outdoor movies in Malibu thanks to Screen on the Green at Trancas Country Market every Thursday through September 13. This week What About Bob? will be screened. FREE
8. [8 p.m.] Skirball’s annual Sunset Concert Series features six Thursday night concerts with eclectic and inspiring artists from July 26 to August 30. Ranky Tanky is set to perform this week.
9. [ 9 p.m.] Every first and third Thursday of the month Brennan’s in Marina Del Rey hosts their famous turtle races. Since 1974, this tradition brings these little speedsters out of their sanctuary (located in the bar) for an exciting game that support charities. Race starts at 9 p.m.
10. [various Free museum days: Pasadena Museum of California Art (from 5 to 8 p.m.), Japanese American National Museum (all day), MOCA Grand & MOCA Geffen (from 5 to 8 p.m.), Skirball Cultural Center (noon to 5 p.m.) and Long Beach Museum of Art (3 to 8 p.m.)
DEAL OF THE DAY: $4.50 tix to the Long Beach BBQ Fest Aug. 17-19 (via Goldstar)
Want more ideas for upcoming things to do in L.A.? Check out our Los Angeles events calendar.