You know what’s handy?
Waking up in the morning, firing up your phone/computer and being able to scan a super quick (but curated) rundown of the best of what lies ahead for the day at hand in the city you live in. So here it is!
Below is our quick link list of 10 fun things to do in Los Angeles for today, Friday, August 18, 2017. May it lead you to adventure!
[IMPORTANT: Want our latest ‘things to do’ rundowns sent straight to your email inbox? Sign-up for our newsletter program]
Keep in mind for some of the ticketing options we utilize affiliate links and receive a commission if you purchase through our links (affiliates noted in parenthesis).
1. [4 p.m.] FIGat7th Downtown Festival will return to transform the popular shopping destination into an intimate music venue with live performances by leading pop, rock, American roots, soul and alternative artists. FREE
2. [5 p.m.] The Long Beach BBQ Festival (August 18-20) is an annual weekend-long party featuring music, dancing, and a massive selection of top BBQ, including an All-You-Can-Eat VIP Rib Village. Check for discount tickets before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
3. [5:30 p.m.] Sip wine perched on a iconic L.A. hill that’s also home to an architectural gem at The Barnsdall Art Park’s annual Wine Tasting Nights. Now in its ninth year, the series feature tastings of boutique artisanal wines, along with food trucks, amazing food pop-ups and this Friday includes music from KCRW DJ Marion Hodges.
4. [7 p.m.] The Music Center’s Dance DTLA series returns this week with Dance Downtown: Argentine Tango at Grand Park. FREE
5. [7:30 p.m.] The Chocolate and Art Show heads to Los Angeles this Friday August and Saturday for an indulgent art show featuring LA’s best up-and-coming artists, photographers and creators showcasing their work. In addition, there will be live body painting, booth vendors, live music, face-painting, and of course lots of free chocolate.
6. [8 p.m.] Join the Los Angeles Philharmonic for an evening of music and fireworks at The Hollywood Bowl. During Tchaikovsky & Fireworks, the LA Phil along with conductor Bramwell Tovey will perform some of Tchaikovsky’s greatest hits including Eugene Onegin, The Nutcracker and Sleeping Beauty. The night will conclude with the 1812 Overture and a dazzling fireworks extravaganza.
7. [8:30 p.m.] The Music Center on Location comes to the Ford Theatres starting this Friday for three days of top-notch dance and musical performances. Tonight kicks off with choreographer Aszure Barton’s Awáa.
8. [dusk] Pershing Square continues their free summer movie screenings this Friday with Cell. FREE
9. [9 p.m.] 818Day returns with a celebration of the San Fernando Valley and all of its unique character. Top Valley DJs will be spinning Hip Hop to Acid House tunes and drinks are sure to be served.
10. [various] Echo Park Rising returns for its seventh year (August 17-20) with hundreds of up-and-coming bands to play at venues that include The Echo, The Echoplex, Stories Bookstore, Lost Knight, Little Joy and other more. FREE
DEAL OF THE DAY: $50 tix for Cirque du Soleil: LUZIA at Dodger Stadium
Want more ideas for upcoming things to do in L.A.? Check out our Los Angeles events calendar.