Los Angeles provides no limit of things to do, some awesome and some not so awesome.
Since time is precious in this fast paced city we curate a list of things to do in Los Angeles for every weekend that’ll help you decide how you want to spend your limited supply of attention (not to mention dollars!).
This weekend (August 18 – August 20) includes Echo Park Rising, Muse ’til Midnight at LACMA, a Soapbox Race in Elysian Park, an Art Deco Festival, the Chocolate & Art Show, and MUCH more.
Also remember you can always go to our L.A. events calendar page to get an updated rundown of what’s happening around the city.
[IMPORTANT: Want our latest ‘things to do’ rundowns sent straight to your email inbox? Sign-up for our newsletter program]
Keep in mind that while we retain complete editorial control of our content, for some of the ticketing options provided we utilize affiliate links and receive a commission if you purchase through our links.
Friday August 18th, 2017
1. The Long Beach BBQ Festival (August 18-20) is an annual weekend-long party featuring music, dancing, and a massive selection of top BBQ, including an All-You-Can-Eat VIP Rib Village. Check for discount tickets before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
2. Echo Park Rising returns for its seventh year (August 17-20) with hundreds of up-and-coming bands to play at venues that include The Echo, The Echoplex, Stories Bookstore, Lost Knight, Little Joy and other more. FREE
3. Join the Los Angeles Philharmonic for an evening of music and fireworks at The Hollywood Bowl. During Tchaikovsky & Fireworks, the LA Phil along with conductor Bramwell Tovey will perform some of Tchaikovsky’s greatest hits including Eugene Onegin, The Nutcracker and Sleeping Beauty. The night will conclude with the 1812 Overture and a dazzling fireworks extravaganza.
4. Beach Movie Nights at Dockweiler Youth Center is an all ages free movie screening by the water. This week they will screen Moana. FREE
5. Experience all things Korean during KCON 2017 at the Los Angeles Convention Center. There will be vendor booths, Korean food, performances, loads of celebrity appearances and more.
6. KCON Food Street by KTOWN Night Market (August 18, 19, and 20) is three days of Asian-inspired street food as part of KCON. Admission is free and 30+ vendors like Bibigo, Seoul Street, Rice Balls of Fire, Belly Bombz, Bling Bling Dumpling, Boba Bear, Hot Stars and more will be on hand for all your Asian cravings.
7. Garbage Pail Groundlings is the latest main stage show at the renowned LA theater. The show is filled with sketch comedy, improv and a cast of growing comedians who’ve made appearances in movies like Ted and television shoes like Workaholics. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
8. The Music Center’s Dance DTLA series returns this week with Dance Downtown: Argentine Tango at Grand Park. FREE
9. FIGat7th Downtown Festival will return to transform the popular shopping destination into an intimate music venue with live performances by leading pop, rock, American roots, soul and alternative artists. FREE
10. Enjoy some free Shakespeare this summer when the Independent Shakespeare Co. returns for the 8th year in a row with free/donation-based performances at the Old Zoo in Griffith Park. The Two Gentlemen of Verona Wednesday through Sunday.
11. The Chocolate and Art Show heads to Los Angeles this Friday August and Saturday for an indulgent art show featuring LA’s best up-and-coming artists, photographers and creators showcasing their work. In addition, there will be live body painting, booth vendors, live music, face-painting, and of course lots of free chocolate.
12. The 4th Annual Burbank Comedy Festival runs August 13 – 19 and will feature Hal Sparks, Jeff Garlin, Carol Leifer, Kel Mitchell, Mary Lynn Rajskub, Joey Diaz, and many more.
13. 818Day returns with a celebration of the San Fernando Valley and all of its unique character. Top Valley DJs will be spinning Hip Hop to Acid House tunes and drinks are sure to be served.
14. Pershing Square continues their free summer movie screenings this Friday with Cell. FREE
15. The Music Center on Location comes to the Ford Theatres starting this Friday for three days of top-notch dance and musical performances. The lineup features Aszure Barton’s Awáa, Jacob Jonas The Company + Tim Hecker with Kara-Lis Coverdale, and Rufus Wainwright.
16. Grand Performances presents free musical performances in DTLA. This weekend the series continues with Cameron Graves and Leon Ware Tributeo. FREE
17. Sip wine perched on a iconic L.A. hill that’s also home to an architectural gem at The Barnsdall Art Park’s annual Wine Tasting Nights. Now in its ninth year, the series feature tastings of boutique artisanal wines, along with food trucks, amazing food pop-ups and this Friday includes music from KCRW DJ Marion Hodges.
18. Shakespeare By The Sea returns with free performances for the summer. This Friday day they’ll be performing Macbeth at Point Fermin Park in San Pedro. While admission is free encourage donations to help support the play. FREE
Saturday August 19th, 2017
19. Muse ’til Midnight happening at LACMA units hundreds of art lovers for the ultimate late-night summer party! This year the event will celebrate Latin American and Latino art in Los Angeles with the new Chagall show and four other LACMA exhibits with separate music and party areas.
20. BuskerFest will rock out at Long Beach’s East Village Arts District, this free celebration brings musicians into the streets with performances by up and coming bands such as Milo Greene, WARGIRL, Joachim Cooder, and Bob Forrest and Mike Martt of Thelonious Monster. FREE
21. Family Day: Art for Good comes to The Hammer Museum in Westwood for a day of art, music, improv, performances and more. Guests can also create protest posters and sound makers for a peaceful procession through the museum! FREE
22. Marina Movie Nights returns to Burton Chace Park in Marina del Rey for a free screening of The Jungle Book. FREE
23. The Nisei Week Japanese Festival is happening from August 19 through 27 with unique cultural celebrations in historic Little Tokyo that includes a Gyoza Eating Championship, cultural exhibits, demos, food and more.
24. The Queen Mary Presents the 13th Annual Art Deco Festival (August 19-20). Guests will get a chance to “cruise” back in time to the 1920’s while enjoying themed bars, a vintage bazaar, art deco lectures & swingin’ dance parties. Check for discount tickets before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
25. Taste of Brews Long Beach hosted at the Shoreline Aquatic Park, is the premiere craft beer festival where you can drink unlimited beer and cider while enjoying the cool ocean breeze. The event also includes gourmet food trucks and will be attended by some of the most popular local breweries, such as Fireman’s Brew, Rock Bottom, Yorkshire Square and Barley Lodge.
26. KCRW’s 2017 edition of Summer Nights is a free all ages outdoor music series happening throughout the summer. This Saturday they’ll takeover the California African American Museum with KCRW DJs Aaron Byrd and Garth Trinidad. FREE
27. Opening Night for Drinkin’ Smokin’ & West Coastin’ — A Group Love/Hate Letter to LA at Think Tank Gallery will examine Los Angeles and all its stereotypes. Billed as “A Group Love/Hate Letter to LA,” Drinkin’ Smokin’ & West Coastin’ will feature a plethora of fun events, including a “Comedy, Cake & Cannabis Night,” a brunch event with Roscoe’s House of Chicken ‘n’ Waffles, a ‘zine fest, Escape Rooms and much more.
28. The Wallace and Ilegal Mezcal will collaborate in a cocktail class at Bar & Garden. The free class is all about mezcal! Guests will learn how to make their very own cocktails from 2 to 4 p.m.
29. Street Food Cinema this Saturday features two screenings on Saturday: Pitch Perfect – 5th Anniversary at Will Rogers State Historic Park Pacific
Palisades and Selena at Los Angeles State Historic Park. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
30. Unique LA returns to the Westside with their summer market taking place at Santa Monica’s Barker Hangar on August 19 and 20. Unique LA will offer wares from over 150 local and independent designers and makers.
31. Brouwerij West’s Popfuji summer concert series continues with its third concert of the summer with headliner The Secondmen and supporting bands Toys That Kill, Avi Buffalo and The Do-It’s. To make the day even sweeter, Popfuji III will also offer $5 Brouwerij West craft beers! And there will be food trucks on hand to satiate your hunger.
32. Spend the night enjoying a classic film beneath the stars during Cinespia at Hollywood Forever Cemetery. This weekend they will screen Some Like it Hot.
33. Los Angeles brand Project Social T is having a sample sale with items starting at $5. Keep in mind its cash only so stop by the atm before heading to the sale.
34. If you love spicy flavors head to Anaheim for the CA Hot Sauce Expo on August 19 and 20 to try some unique eating challenges such as the Spicy Taco Hell Challenge and the Spicy Pizza of Doom Challenge. Taking place at the City National Grove of Anaheim there will also be a Chihuahua beauty pageant, masked Mexican wrestling, and a cocktail competition where guests will have the chance to create a cocktail within 90 seconds.
35. Movies on the Green bring free screenings of popular films to the Lou Bredlow Pavilion in Warner Center Park in Woodland Hills every Saturday in the summer. This weekend they will screen Beauty and the Beast (2017 live-action version). FREE
36. There is an opening reception for Brandi Milne’s ‘Once Upon a Quiet Kingdom’ at Corey Helford Gallery. Checkout pop surrealist artwork laden with confectionary colors, sweetly surreal images, and sugary temptations like pastries, lollipops and candy canes this show is sure to be a visual stunner. FREE
37. Shakespeare By The Sea returns with free performances for the summer. This Saturday they’ll be performing The Taming of the Shrew at Point Fermin Park in San Pedro . While admission is free encourage donations to help support the play. FREE
38. To Live And Buy in LA, Super Summer Sample Sale happening at the ROW DTLA is a blowout sale for a good cause. Shop brands Garrett Leight, Buck Mason, Staud, Christy Dawn, Marais, Solid & Striped, Live the Process, Rosa Shop Vintage at a steep discount with a percentage of the sales going to local charity, A Walk on Water.
39. L.A.’s only live animated comedy show Picture This! is back with a free show on Saturday at The Virgil where the bar will be fully stalked and a taco truck will be parked outside for your dining pleasure. FREE
40. Summer of Music at Redondo Pier host free concerts every Thursday and Saturday highlighting a slew of genres. This week Elwood Moon will perform. FREE
41. Eat|See|Hear brings a screening of Raiders of the Lost Ark at La Cienega Park in Beverly Hills. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
42. The Vanishing Trading Post, an eclectic pop-up market, is coming to Downtown Los Angeles’ Arts District for one day only with shopping, live music, food trucks, a vintage car cruise-in, live haircuts from the famous singing barber of Railcar Barber Shop and more!
43. KX Festival is a free summer two-day event promoting Korean culture through live entertainment, products, food and more taking place at the Levitt Pavillon. FREE
Sunday August 20th, 2017
44. The Red Bull Soapbox Race Los Angeles comes to Elysian Park this Sunday for an exciting day of unique racing. Experienced and amateur drivers will unite and race their homemade soapbox cars down the twists and turns of Angels Point Road for this annual global event. FREE
45. Girl Cult Festival is a full day of dancing, discussion and most importantly female empowerment. Presented by Galore, the all-female lineup of musicians, speakers and panelists will cover fashion, the business of beauty, and social influence. Performers include Chloe x Halle, Willow Smith, Dorothy and more. The speaker series will feature Tyra Banks, Kimora Lee Simmons and daughter Ming, Gigi Gorgeous and more. Happening at the Fonda Theatre.
46. Los Angeles Comic Book & Science Fiction Convention at The Reef. Hosted in DTLA, the convention will feature a marketplace with unique collectibles and comics, as well as special guests from the original Batman TV series.
47. The West Hollywood Dance Festival (WHDF) returns to West Hollywood’s Park Auditorium August 20 through 27 for a week-long celebration featuring performances, workshops for all levels, and open rehearsals.
48. North Hollywood theatre Zombie Joe’s Underground will take on Laguna Beach’s annual Pageant of the Masters by re-creating over 45 classic and contemporary art through live models. Pieces include Van Gogh, Da Vinci, Picasso, Banksy as well as iconic advertising, war-time propaganda, and cultural images from present time.
49. Smorgasburg LA’s 2nd annual BBQ Day, is happening this Sunday the popup will host joints like Bludso’s Bar & Que’s, Moo’s Craft Barbecue, Craft Republic, Ol’ Skool BBQ’s Memphis-style low country cuisine and Cheezus will be doing a grilled cheese collab with Horse Thief BBQ, and RBTA will be at the beer garden serving Thai style barbecue skewers.
50. Grand Performances presents free musical performances in DTLA. This weekend the series continues with Peter & The Wolf – Edición Latinx. FREE
Want to get our to-do lists straight to your inbox every week? Sign up for our email program.
Have an upcoming event you’d like suggest for listing? Drop us a line at [email protected].