You know what’s handy?
Waking up in the morning, firing up your phone/computer and being able to scan a super quick (but curated) rundown of the best of what lies ahead for the day at hand in the city you live in. So here it is!
Below is our quick link list of 10 fun things to do in Los Angeles for today, Saturday, August 19, 2017. May it lead you to adventure!
[IMPORTANT: Want our latest ‘things to do’ rundowns sent straight to your email inbox? Sign-up for our newsletter program]
Keep in mind for some of the ticketing options we utilize affiliate links and receive a commission if you purchase through our links (affiliates noted in parenthesis).
1. [10 a.m.] The Queen Mary Presents the 13th Annual Art Deco Festival (August 19-20). Guests will get a chance to “cruise” back in time to the 1920’s while enjoying themed bars, a vintage bazaar, art deco lectures & swingin’ dance parties. Check for discount tickets before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
2. [11 a.m.] Family Day: Art for Good comes to The Hammer Museum in Westwood for a day of art, music, improv, performances and more. Guests can also create protest posters and sound makers for a peaceful procession through the museum! FREE
3. [noon] The Long Beach BBQ Festival (August 18-20) is an annual weekend-long party featuring music, dancing, and a massive selection of top BBQ, including an All-You-Can-Eat VIP Rib Village. Check for discount tickets before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
4. [5 p.m.] BuskerFest will rock out at Long Beach’s East Village Arts District, this free celebration brings musicians into the streets with performances by up and coming bands such as Milo Greene, WARGIRL, Joachim Cooder, and Bob Forrest and Mike Martt of Thelonious Monster. FREE
5. [6 p.m.] KCRW’s 2017 edition of Summer Nights is a free all ages outdoor music series happening throughout the summer. This Saturday they’ll takeover the California African American Museum with KCRW DJs Aaron Byrd and Garth Trinidad. FREE
6. [7:30 p.m.] Opening Night for Drinkin’ Smokin’ & West Coastin’ — A Group Love/Hate Letter to LA at Think Tank Gallery will examine Los Angeles and all its stereotypes.
7. [8 p.m.] Join the Los Angeles Philharmonic for an evening of music and fireworks at The Hollywood Bowl. During Tchaikovsky & Fireworks, the LA Phil along with conductor Bramwell Tovey will perform some of Tchaikovsky’s greatest hits including Eugene Onegin, The Nutcracker and Sleeping Beauty. The night will conclude with the 1812 Overture and a dazzling fireworks extravaganza.
8. [8 p.m.] Muse ’til Midnight happening at LACMA units hundreds of art lovers for the ultimate late-night summer party! This year the event will celebrate Latin American and Latino art in Los Angeles with the new Chagall show and four other LACMA exhibits with separate music and party areas.
9. [8:30 p.m.] The Music Center on Location comes to the Ford Theatres starting this Friday for three days of top-notch dance and musical performances. Tonight continues with a double bill of contemporary dance by Jacob Jonas The Company followed by Tim Hecker with Kara-Lis Coverdale.
10. [various] Echo Park Rising returns for its seventh year (August 17-20) with hundreds of up-and-coming bands to play at venues that include The Echo, The Echoplex, Stories Bookstore, Lost Knight, Little Joy and other more. FREE
DEAL OF THE DAY: $39.50 for weekend passes to the Long Beach Comic Con
Want more ideas for upcoming things to do in L.A.? Check out our Los Angeles events calendar.