You know what’s handy?
Waking up in the morning, firing up your phone/computer and being able to scan a super quick (but curated) rundown of the best of what lies ahead for the day at hand in the city you live in. So here it is!
Below is our quick link list of 10 fun things to do in Los Angeles for today, Sunday, August 20, 2017. May it lead you to adventure!
[IMPORTANT: Want our latest ‘things to do’ rundowns sent straight to your email inbox? Sign-up for our newsletter program]
Keep in mind for some of the ticketing options we utilize affiliate links and receive a commission if you purchase through our links (affiliates noted in parenthesis).
1. [9 a.m.] The Red Bull Soapbox Race Los Angeles comes to Elysian Park this Sunday for an exciting day of unique racing. Experienced and amateur drivers will unite and race their homemade soapbox cars down the twists and turns of Angels Point Road for this annual global event. FREE
2. [10 a.m.] The Queen Mary Presents the 13th Annual Art Deco Festival (August 19-20). Guests will get a chance to “cruise” back in time to the 1920’s while enjoying themed bars, a vintage bazaar, art deco lectures & swingin’ dance parties. Check for discount tickets before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
3. [10 a.m.] Los Angeles Comic Book & Science Fiction Convention at The Reef. Hosted in DTLA, the convention will feature a marketplace with unique collectibles and comics, as well as special guests from the original Batman TV series.
4. [10 a.m.] Smorgasburg LA’s 2nd annual BBQ Day, is happening this Sunday the popup will host joints like Bludso’s Bar & Que’s, Moo’s Craft Barbecue, Craft Republic, Ol’ Skool BBQ’s Memphis-style low country cuisine and Cheezus will be doing a grilled cheese collab with Horse Thief BBQ, and RBTA will be at the beer garden serving Thai style barbecue skewers.
5. [noon] The Long Beach BBQ Festival (August 18-20) is an annual weekend-long party featuring music, dancing, and a massive selection of top BBQ, including an All-You-Can-Eat VIP Rib Village. Check for discount tickets before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
6. [1 p.m.] Girl Cult Festival is a full day of dancing, discussion and most importantly female empowerment. Presented by Galore, the all-female lineup of musicians, speakers and panelists will cover fashion, the business of beauty, and social influence.
7. [2:30 p.m.] Punk Rock Karaoke With Live Band at Sainte Rocke in Hermosa Beach. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
8. [3 p.m.] Grand Performances presents free musical performances in DTLA. This weekend the series continues with Peter & The Wolf – Edición Latinx. FREE
9. [8:30 p.m.] The Music Center on Location comes to the Ford Theatres starting this Friday for three days of top-notch dance and musical performances. Tonight concludes the weekend with special performance by Rufus Wainwright.
10. [various] Echo Park Rising returns for its seventh year (August 17-20) with hundreds of up-and-coming bands to play at venues that include The Echo, The Echoplex, Stories Bookstore, Lost Knight, Little Joy and other more. FREE
DEAL OF THE DAY: $32.50 for Lin-Manuel Miranda’s In the Heights
Want more ideas for upcoming things to do in L.A.? Check out our Los Angeles events calendar.