You know what’s handy?
Waking up in the morning, firing up your phone/computer and being able to scan a super quick (but curated) rundown of the best of what lies ahead. So here it is, our list of fun things to do in Los Angeles for today, Sunday, August 19, 2018.
May it lead you to adventure!
[IMPORTANT: Want our latest ‘things to do’ rundowns sent straight to your email inbox? Sign-up for our newsletter program]
Keep in mind for some of the ticketing options we utilize affiliate links and receive a commission if you purchase through our links (affiliates noted in parenthesis).
1. [11 a.m.] British artist Lucy Sparrow has transformed the second floor of the Standard in DTLA into Sparrow Mart a supermarket art wonderland fill with over 31,000 adorable felt-covered food replicas all for sale. Part art installation, store and loads of photo worthy moments, Sparrow Mart open Aug 1-31 (closed on Mondays) is free to attend on a first come first serve basis. FREE
2. [noon] Long Beach BBQ Festival at Rainbow Lagoon Park (August 17-19) will feature world class pitmasters showcasing their skills for hungry que fans! Check for discounted tickets before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
3. [noon] Head down to Roxanne’s Cocktail Lounge in Long Beach for a Tiki Swapmeet and social featuring live tiki bands and DJs, games, and selected tiki vendors from across SoCal.
4. [noon] Boomtown Brewery will host a Summer Family Festival this Sunday with plenty of fun activities like a bounce house, face painting, a petting zoo, games, prizes, and a photo booth. FREE
5. [2 p.m.] Head to Downtown L.A. for Sunday Sessions, at Grand Park and enjoy the city’s best House music artists, groove on the dance floor and enjoy eats from food trucks and cocktails from the bar. FREE
6. [4 p.m.] The All My Friends Music Festival heads to The Row DTLA for two days of live music and performances on three separate stages. Performers include RL Grime, Gucci Mane, Jhene Aiko, M.I.A., Jamie XX, Armand and Van Helden and more.
7. [6:30 p.m.] Silents Under the Stars series continues at Paramount Ranch in Agoura Hills this Sunday with Flesh and the Devil staring Greta Garbo, one of the greatest stars of the 1920s.
8. [6:30 p.m.] Swingin’ Summer series returns to The Wiltern with a Roaring ’20s Night, featuring a ten-piece jazz band and swing dancing lessons. Check for discounted tickets before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
9. [7 p.m.] This Sunday is the 9-Year Anniversary of Cool Beans Comedy. To celebrate, they brought in NBC’s Tony Baker, Netflix’s Taylor Tomlinson and other friends for a night of free comedy at The Ice House Comedy Club in Pasadena. FREE
10. [various] Echo Park Rising celebrates the creativity, diversity, music and businesses of Echo Park with a four-day celebration (Aug 16-19) featuring food, drink, and amazing live music. FREE
DEAL OF THE DAY: $4.50 tix to the Long Beach BBQ Fest Aug. 17-19 (via Goldstar)
Want more ideas for upcoming things to do in L.A.? Check out our Los Angeles events calendar.