You know what’s handy?
Waking up in the morning, firing up your phone/computer and being able to scan a super quick (but curated) rundown of the best of what lies ahead. So here it is, our list of fun things to do in Los Angeles for today, Thursday, August 23, 2018.
May it lead you to adventure!
[IMPORTANT: Want our latest ‘things to do’ rundowns sent straight to your email inbox? Sign-up for our newsletter program]
Keep in mind for some of the ticketing options we utilize affiliate links and receive a commission if you purchase through our links (affiliates noted in parenthesis).
1. [10 a.m.] A Yeti Village has been constructed on Hollywood and Vine in anticipation for the movie SMALLFOOT. Designed to look like winter, visitors of all ages can dance in a blizzard, swing on a cloud, ride a 20-foot slide, play in a snowball pit, sing karaoke, do arts and crafts and more. The family-friendly experience is free to attend and runs through September 14, 2018. FREE
2. [11 a.m.] British artist Lucy Sparrow has transformed the second floor of the Standard in DTLA into Sparrow Mart a supermarket art wonderland fill with over 31,000 adorable felt-covered food replicas all for sale. Part art installation, store and loads of photo worthy moments, Sparrow Mart open Aug 1-31 (closed on Mondays) is free to attend on a first come first serve basis. FREE
3. [11 a.m.] 260LA is hosting a sample sale with Jonathan Simkhai and Charlotte Olympia August 22-25.
5. [6 p.m.] Round Up at L.A. LIVE bills itself as the ultimate country street party, featuring $5 food and drink menus, a beer garden, mechanical bull riding, live musical performances, line dancing, country-themed vendors, rodeo ropers, cowboy stilt walkers, Western-themed street art and more! FREE
6. [7 p.m.] The 8th annual Los Angeles Food & Wine Festival is a five-day epicurean event showcasing the finest in Los Angeles food and drink culture. Happening in Downtown L.A., Santa Monica and Beverly Hills between from August 22-26. Check for discounted tickets before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
7. [7 p.m.] French-based music label Kitsuné is collaborating with the NoMad Hotel for Kitsuné Afterwork. Enjoy complementary tunes by The Juan MacLean, Nancy Whang and Durant on the rooftop of the trendy hotel in Downtown Los Angeles.
8. [8 p.m.] Enjoy free family-friendly outdoor movies in Malibu thanks to Screen on the Green at Trancas Country Market every Thursday through September 13. This week Planes, Trains, and Automobiles will be screened. FREE
9. [8 p.m.] Skirball’s annual Sunset Concert Series features six Thursday night concerts with eclectic and inspiring artists from July 26 to August 30. Kishi Bashi is set to perform this week.
10. [various] Free museum days: Japanese American National Museum (from 5 to 8 p.m.), MOCA Grand & MOCA Geffen (from 5 to 8 p.m.), Skirball Cultural Center (noon to 5 p.m.), Long Beach Museum of Art (3 to 8 p.m.) and Museum of Latin American Art (5 to 9 p.m.)
DEAL OF THE DAY: $17.50 tix to Long Beach Comic Con (via Goldstar)
Want more ideas for upcoming things to do in L.A.? Check out our Los Angeles events calendar.