You know what’s handy?
Waking up in the morning, firing up your phone/computer and being able to scan a super quick (but curated) rundown of the best of what lies ahead for the day at hand in the city you live in. So here it is!
Below is our quick link list of 10 fun things to do in Los Angeles for today, Thursday, August 24, 2017. May it lead you to adventure!
[IMPORTANT: Want our latest ‘things to do’ rundowns sent straight to your email inbox? Sign-up for our newsletter program]
Keep in mind for some of the ticketing options we utilize affiliate links and receive a commission if you purchase through our links (affiliates noted in parenthesis).
1. [6 p.m.] The final Taste of Downtown at the Long Beach waterfront takes place on August 23-24 featuring favorites like The Pie Hole, Parkers’ Lighthouse, Rasselbock, La Strada, The Federal and many more.
7. [6 p.m.] Summer of Music at Redondo Pier host free concerts every Thursday and Saturday highlighting a slew of genres. This week Latin Jazz band Abrakadabra will perform. FREE
2. [7 p.m.] Enjoy some free Shakespeare this summer when the Independent Shakespeare Co. returns for the 8th year in a row with free/donation-based performances at the Old Zoo in Griffith Park. The Two Gentlemen of Verona Wednesday through Sunday.
3. [7:30 p.m.] Shakespeare’s enchanting A Midsummer Night’s Dream returns to Topanga Canyon’s Theatricum Botanicum for ten performances throughout the summer with their signature production in a uniquely rustic outdoor theater surrounded by oak trees. Check for discount tickets before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
2. [8 p.m.] The 2017 season of the Skirball’s free Sunset Concert Series, inspired by the Skirball’s current high-profile exhibition Paul Simon: Words & Music, is a showcase for up-and-coming talents and established artists from Los Angeles and around the globe. The series continues with David Buchbinder’s Odessa/Havana. FREE
6. [dusk] Summer Movie Fest at Cal State Northridge is a free weekly movie night taking place at dusk on CSUN’s Oviatt Library Lawn. The series continues with Space Jam. FREE
4. [various.] Free museum days: Japanese American National Museum (5 to 8 p.m.), MOCA Grand & MOCA Geffen (from 5 to 8 p.m.), Skirball Cultural Center and Long Beach Museum of Art (3 to 8 p.m.)
8. [various] The 7th annual Los Angeles Food & Wine Festival comes to Downtown L.A. and Santa Monica August 24 through 27 for a four-day epicurean event showcasing the best of what Los Angeles and beyond has to offer in food and drink culture. Check for discount tickets before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
9. [various] The West Hollywood Dance Festival (WHDF) returns to West Hollywood’s Park Auditorium August 20 through 27 for a week-long celebration featuring performances, workshops for all levels, and open rehearsals.
10. [various] The Nisei Week Japanese Festival is happening from August 19-27 with unique cultural celebrations in historic Little Tokyo that includes a Gyoza Eating Championship, cultural exhibits, demos, food and more.
DEAL OF THE DAY: $5 tix to Nightmare on Hollywood Blvd. Halloween Party
Want more ideas for upcoming things to do in L.A.? Check out our Los Angeles events calendar.