Los Angeles provides no limit of things to do, some awesome and some not so awesome.
Since time is precious in this fast paced city we curate a list of things to do in Los Angeles for every weekend that’ll help you decide how you want to spend your limited supply of attention (not to mention dollars!).
This weekend (August 25 – August 27) includes LA Food & Wine, LA Weekly’s Artopia, Round Up at L.A. LIVE the Venice Beach Music Fest, the LA Taco Festival, and MUCH more.
Also remember you can always go to our L.A. events calendar page to get an updated rundown of what’s happening around the city.
[IMPORTANT: Want our latest ‘things to do’ rundowns sent straight to your email inbox? Sign-up for our newsletter program]
Keep in mind that while we retain complete editorial control of our content, for some of the ticketing options provided we utilize affiliate links and receive a commission if you purchase through our links.
Friday August 25th, 2017
1. Friday Flights at the Getty is back this year with another round of live interdisciplinary artist performances. Experience epic art, live performances and scenic views at one of L.A.’s most popular museums. FREE
2. Eat|See|Hear brings a screening of Depeche Mode: 101 at Rose Bowl Stadium.
3. Round Up, the ultimate country street party, is coming to L.A. LIVE this Friday. The free outdoor event will feature a beer garden, $5 food and drink menus at participating L.A. LIVE eateries, mechanical bull riding, live musical performances, line dancing, country-themed vendors, rodeo ropers and more! FREE
4. The 7th annual Los Angeles Food & Wine Festival comes to Downtown L.A. and Santa Monica August 24 through 27 for a four-day epicurean event showcasing the best of what Los Angeles and beyond has to offer in food and drink culture. Check for discount tickets before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
5. Summer Nights in the Garden returns to the Natural History Museum in for garden-inspired cocktails, music and botanical tours with the NHM garden staff. Guests are welcome to bring a picnic or purchase bites from food trucks, the event is free to attend. FREE
6. Head to Westwood Village for a free screening of Moana. Tickets are not required and seating is first come, first serve. FREE
7. Night Dive at the Aquarium of the Pacific is an 18-and-over event featuring DJ sets, a puppet show, food trucks, bars, henna tattoos and more.
8. KCRW’s 2017 edition of Summer Nights is a free all ages outdoor music series happening throughout the summer. This Friday they’ll takeover Union Station with DJs Jason Bentley and Travis Holcombe. FREE
9. Cheer on the Dodgers as they go up against the Milwaukee Brewers. Spend an evening at the iconic Dodger Stadium and dine on the newly revamped menu as you watch the boys in blue. The night will end with a spectacular fire works show. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
10. The Nisei Week Japanese Festival is happening from August 19 through 27 with unique cultural celebrations in historic Little Tokyo that includes a Gyoza Eating Championship, cultural exhibits, demos, food and more.
11. Head over to California Market Center, in the heart of Downtown Los Angeles’ Garment District, for a public sample sale to score fantastic bargains on current styles for women, men and kids. Happening on the last Friday of every month.
12. Beach Movie Nights at Dockweiler Youth Center is an all ages free movie screening by the water. This week they will screen Kubo and the Two Strings. FREE
13. The Music Center’s Dance DTLA series returns this week with DJ Nights at Grand Park. FREE
14. The West Hollywood Dance Festival (WHDF) returns to West Hollywood’s Park Auditorium August 20 through 27 for a week-long celebration featuring performances, workshops for all levels, and open rehearsals.
15. FIGat7th Downtown Festival will return to transform the popular shopping destination into an intimate music venue with live performances by leading pop, rock, American roots, soul and alternative artists. FREE
16. Enjoy some free Shakespeare this summer when the Independent Shakespeare Co. returns for the 8th year in a row with free/donation-based performances at the Old Zoo in Griffith Park. The Two Gentlemen of Verona Wednesday through Sunday.
17. Sip wine perched on a iconic L.A. hill that’s also home to an architectural gem at The Barnsdall Art Park’s annual Wine Tasting Nights. Now in its ninth year, the series feature tastings of boutique artisanal wines, along with food trucks, amazing food pop-ups and this Friday includes music from KCRW DJ Marion Hodges.
18. Garbage Pail Groundlings is the latest main stage show at the renowned LA theater. The show is filled with sketch comedy, improv and a cast of growing comedians who’ve made appearances in movies like Ted and television shoes like Workaholics. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
19. Catch a flick on the rooftop of the Ritz-Carlton in Downtown Los Angeles during Summer Supper + Show Series presented by WP24 by Wolfgang Puck. The series continues with a screening of Father of the Bride on August 25 and 26.
Saturday August 26th, 2017
20. Summer Happenings at The Broad returns with contemporary art, music and performances in a one of a kind late-night environment. This Saturday the series continues with a night dedicated to the Oracle exhibit, curated by Ron Athey. Expect performances by Xiu Xiu, A Place To Bury Strangers and more.
21. Did you know Boyle Heights was once home to Russian and Jewish labor activists? Or that the San Gabriel Valley had a large Italian-American community? Join Esotouric for a day of exploring the architecture and social history of the two neighborhoods during Hidden Histories of L.A.’s Melting Pot Boyle Heights & Monterey Park. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
22. Off the 405 is a free outdoor summer concert series at the Getty Center. The series showcases some of today’s hottest bands while surrounded by some of the most beautiful gardens, views and architecture in Los Angeles. FREE
23. Playful Los Angeles lifestyle brand ban.do will host a huge warehouse sale at their L.A. penthouse on Saturday and Sunday with up to 70% off accessories, shoes, stationery, jewelry, clothing and tons more. Expect over 10K items on sale over the weekend.
24. Artopia returns to Union Station for LA Weekly’s fifth annual art party celebrating the booming arts and culture scene in Los Angeles. Check for discount tickets before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
25. DTLA Proud Festival returns to Pershing Square on August 26 and 27 for a fun weekend celebrating local queer culture, art, history and entertainment.
26. The LA Taco Festival 2017 returns to Grand Park for a day of eating some of the tastiest tacos in town. This year’s participants include Kogi, Tacos La Estrella, Street Kitchen, Epic Tacos, Thai Mex Cocina, and The Shrimp & Taco Stop. Admission is free and guests can purchase tacos a la carte from 20 or so vendors.
27. Street Food Cinema this Saturday features two screenings on Saturday: 51st Dates at at Central Park Glendale and La La Land at Poinsettia Rec Park West Hollywood. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
28. Intersection: A Playhouse District Festival celebrates the Pasadena Playhouse District with a free, end-of-summer street party featuring live music, multiple art activities and an opportunity to leave your mark on the PMCA’s community art mural inspired by the current exhibitions and take a tour of local public art installations. FREE
29. Bryan Ferry makes his Hollywood Bowl debut this Saturday with a live orchestra at the Hollywood Bowl. The concert will be filled with Ferry’s hits from his solo career and his work with glam rock band Roxy Music. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
30. The folks at Rooftop Cinema Club are back with a screening of Saturday Night Fever at LEVEL in Downtown Los Angeles.
31. The Summertime Square Dance Social comes to One Colorado in Old Pasadena for the ultimate hoedown! Practice your Roll Aways and Half Sashays with Silent DJ country western tunes and promenade to live music with square-dance caller Darren Gallida and his band Crossfire.
32. Summer of Music at Redondo Pier host free concerts every Thursday and Saturday highlighting a slew of genres. This weekend Like Zeppelin a Led Zeppelin tribute band will perform. FREE
33. Spend the night enjoying a classic film beneath the stars during Cinespia at Hollywood Forever Cemetery. This weekend they will screen Ghost World.
34. The Venice Beach Music Fest* comes to Windward Plaza Park this Saturday bringing yet again another incredible lineup of music, art, and dance. Among this year’s highlights are ’60s stalwarts Strawberry Alarm Clock (“Incense and Peppermints”) , Grateful Dead tribute band Cubensis, who’ve paid homage to The Dead since 1987, and belly dance troupe Ya Harissa. FREE
*An earlier version of this article indicated the Venice Beach Music Fest was on Sunday, August 26. We apologize for the error!
Sunday August 27th, 2017
35. The first annual Festival Del Marisco Y Michelada is premiering this Sunday. Taking place at the Pico Rivera Sports Arena, the event will feature carnival rides, games, food vendors, dance bands, seafood and an award for the best michelada! Tickets are currently available online for $45 (general admission) and $75 (VIP and backstage access).
36. The Los Angeles Visionaries Association (LAVA) will host their popular Sunday Salon where guest will enjoy a talk and walking tour of an architectural gem in danger of being demolished. This Sunday join them for “The Cranky Preservationist in Search of Lost Art Deco” led by architectural historian Nathan Marsak at the ARCO Plaza towers, built in 1972 a Meisian Corporate International style building. To join this fun FREE event, meet up in the basement of Grand Central Market in DTLA. FREE
37. The Floor Improv Day at Union Station is a free public event showcasing L.A.’s diverse musicians and dancers from live musical performances, dance lessons, percussion workshops, and the very funny The Floor Improv Jam. This event is free and open to all ages.FREE
38. Topanga Vintage Market hits Pierce College in Woodland Hills on the fourth Sunday of every month. Renowned for its array of vintage goods from over 170 of Los Angeles’ best vintage, antiques, and collectibles dealers, this flea market has been praised by fashion and decor publications all around.
39. Drinkin’ Smokin’ & West Coastin’ — A Group Love/Hate Letter to LA at Think Tank Gallery examines Los Angeles and all its stereotypes through art and insanely fun events. This Sunday the gallery will host Brew High a notorious comedy show that’s also a drinking/smoking game.
40. North Hollywood theatre Zombie Joe’s Underground will take on Laguna Beach’s annual Pageant of the Masters by re-creating over 45 classic and contemporary art through live models. Pieces include Van Gogh, Da Vinci, Picasso, Banksy as well as iconic advertising, war-time propaganda, and cultural images from present time.
Want to get our to-do lists straight to your inbox every week? Sign up for our email program.
Have an upcoming event you’d like suggest for listing? Drop us a line at [email protected].