You know what’s handy? Waking up in the morning, firing up your phone/computer and being able to scan a super quick (but curated) rundown of the best of what lies ahead. So here it is, our list of fun things to do in Los Angeles for today, Friday, August 31, 2018.
May it lead you to adventure!
[IMPORTANT: Want our latest ‘things to do’ rundowns sent straight to your email inbox? Sign-up for our newsletter program]
Keep in mind for some of the ticketing options we utilize affiliate links and receive a commission if you purchase through our links (affiliates noted in parenthesis).
1. [8:30 a.m.] L.A. Fleet Week is back from August 31-September 3. Hosted at Los Angeles Cruise Terminal in San Pedro the event will feature various military ships, guided tours, military demonstrations, live entertainment, aerial demonstrations and more. Plenty of venues will also be participating including Cabrillo Marine Aquarium, CRAFTED at the Port of Los Angeles, and 22nd Street Park. FREE
2. [10 a.m.] The L.A. Zoo will offer free admission for veterans, active, and retired military personnel this Friday in honor of LA Fleet Week. Offer valid from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Up to six accompanying friends and family members can receive a discount of $3 off adult and $2 off child admission. Must present a valid military ID at the time of purchase.
3. [noon] The L.A. County Fair returns to Pomona for a enormous assortment of activities, musical performances, food and beverage offerings, and more. The fair runs through September 23. Check for discount tickets before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
4. [4 p.m.] The 626 Night Market is back for its seventh season at Santa Anita Park. Happening Aug. 31 through September 2, the event will feature over 250 vendors selling crafts, merchandise, art, music and a massive selection of food from local restaurants, food trucks and more.
5. [5 p.m.] The La Brea Tar Pits and Museum will host Late Night Fridays where guests can enjoy free general admission from 5 to 8 p.m. and gain access to special activities, 3D movies, behind-the-scenes tours, live excavations, and more. FREE
6. [5:30 p.m.] Barnsdall Fridays at Barnsdall Art Park comes to a close this Friday evening with tastings of boutique wines and music from KCRW DJs perched atop a hill with incredible city views.
7. [6 p.m.] West Adams Avenues Jazz and Music Festival is three nights of music including jazz, blues, funk and more, as well as activities, arts and crafts, and food trucks. FREE
8. [7:10 p.m.] Friday Night Fireworks at Dodger Stadium will feature a dazzling fireworks show on the field after the game paired with music. This week the boys in blue will go up against the San Diego Padres. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
9. [7:30 p.m.] L.A. Times The Taste returns to Paramount Studios (August 31 to September 2) with tastings from some of the best chefs in Los Angeles selected by The Time and demos, pop-ups and chef experiences.
10. [various] Cinecon Classic Film Festival at Hollywood’s Egyptian Theatre (August 30 to September 3) is 5-days of classic film screenings, celebrity appearances, panels, a memorabilia show, and more.
DEAL OF THE DAY: Find, rent, and unlock a shared car all through the Getaround app this Labor Day! Hourly or daily rentals available nearby, with insurance included. Get $25 off your first trip at get.co/dd252
Want more ideas for upcoming things to do in L.A.? Check out our Los Angeles events calendar.