You know what’s handy?
Waking up in the morning, firing up your phone/computer and being able to scan a super quick (but curated) rundown of the best of what lies ahead. So here it is, our list of fun things to do in Los Angeles for today, Thursday, August 9, 2018.
May it lead you to adventure!
[IMPORTANT: Want our latest ‘things to do’ rundowns sent straight to your email inbox? Sign-up for our newsletter program]
Keep in mind for some of the ticketing options we utilize affiliate links and receive a commission if you purchase through our links (affiliates noted in parenthesis).
1. [11 a.m.] British artist Lucy Sparrow has transformed the second floor of the Standard in DTLA into Sparrow Mart a supermarket art wonderland fill with over 31,000 adorable felt-covered food replicas all for sale. Part art installation, store and loads of photo worthy moments, Sparrow Mart open Aug 1-31 (closed on Mondays) is free to attend on a first come first serve basis. FREE
2. [5:30 p.m.] Sizzling Summer Nights at The Autry returns for weekly nights of salsa and Latin fusion music, complimentary dance lessons, museum access, tacos and margaritas.
3. [6 p.m.] Downtown Art Walk brings art enthusiasts and locals together every second Thursday of each month to take part in gallery tours, shop the art mart and sample nearby food trucks, and experience the overall flavor of the downtown Los Angeles Historic Core.
4. [6:30 p.m.] Baldwin Hills Crenshaw is hosting free movie screenings this summer alongside live music, fun games and food trucks. Kicking off the event is Space Jam. FREE
5. [6:30 p.m.] Skyline Sound + Cinema partners with The Bloc, ALT 98.7 and Alamo Drafthouse Cinema for a screening of Die Hard this Thursday.
6. [8 p.m.] The Empire Strikes Back will be screened at the Hollywood Bowl, with a live accompaniment by the Los Angeles Philharmonic on August 9 and 11. Check for discounted tickets before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
7. [8 p.m.] Enjoy free family-friendly outdoor movies in Malibu thanks to Screen on the Green at Trancas Country Market every Thursday through September 13. This week The Incredibles will be screened. FREE
8. [8 p.m.] Skirball’s annual Sunset Concert Series features six Thursday night concerts with eclectic and inspiring artists from July 26 to August 30. The Marias is set to perform this week.
9. [9 p.m.] Weplay80s Thursdays comes to The OffBeat – A Bar On York, featuring an 80’s dance party and free tacos!
10. [various] Free museum days: Japanese American National Museum (from 5 to 8 p.m.), MOCA Grand & MOCA Geffen (from 5 to 8 p.m.), Skirball Cultural Center (noon to 5 p.m.), Long Beach Museum of Art (3 to 8 p.m.) and Santa Monica History Museum
DEAL OF THE DAY: $10 tix to the LA County Fair opening weekend (via Goldstar)
Want more ideas for upcoming things to do in L.A.? Check out our Los Angeles events calendar.