Los Angeles provides no limit of things to do, some awesome and some not so awesome.
Since time is precious in this fast paced city we curate a list of things to do in Los Angeles for every weekend that’ll help you decide how you want to spend your limited supply of attention (not to mention dollars!).
This weekend in L.A. (January 12-14) includes the 2018 start to dineL.A., Anime Impulse, the LA Art Show, Fiesta Perpetua at Echo Park Lake, free vinyl record days, the Hello Kitty Food Truck, and MUCH more.
Also remember you can always go to our L.A. events calendar page to get an updated rundown of what’s happening around the city.
[IMPORTANT: Want our latest ‘things to do’ rundowns sent straight to your email inbox? Sign-up for our newsletter program]
Keep in mind that while we retain complete editorial control of our content, for some of the ticketing options provided we utilize affiliate links and receive a commission if you purchase through our links.
Friday January 12th, 2018
1. dineL.A. the city’s restaurant week (January 12-26) kicks of this Friday with another round of exclusive lunch and dinner menus (and deals!) at a laundry list of the city’s finest eateries. Want to know where to eat among the huge list of choices? Start here, with our picks for 20 can’t-miss menus.
2. The LA Art Show continues at the Los Angeles Convention Center January 10 – 14 for the West Coast’s most comprehensive art experience of the year. Check for discount tickets before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
3. Lula Washington Dance Theatre celebrates the legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. at The Wallis with three different programs of dance over the holiday weekend (January 11 – January 13.)
4. Greenbar Distillery will open up their facility for a tour of their organic distillery. The tour is one hour long and guests will have a chance to learn about the process of spirit making and taste some of the Greenbar portfolio.
5. Tijuana is a multimedia solo show straddling the line between fiction and reality which stars Gabino Rodríguez. Playing at the Skirball Cultural Center on January 11-12. Check for discounted tickets before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
6. Redondo Beach Restaurant Week is back from January 12 to 26. Dozen of eateries from the beach city’s growing food scene will be participating by offering either specially priced prix-fixe lunches and/or dinners, or other Restaurant Week-only special offers.
7. 7th Annual Pasadena Cheeseburger Week returns with over 40 restaurants and bars offering special cheeseburger items from January 7-12.
8. Enjoy a double feature and see Willem Dafoe in person at The Egyptian Theatre. The Florida Project and one of his most memorable performances Shadow of The Vampire. A discussion will be held between films with Willem Dafoe.
9. Check out the brand new Batman ’66 retrospective at the Hollywood Museum. Highlights include original costumes and props from the 60’s T.V. Show, plus four distinct exhibit sections to check out: Wayne Manor, The Batcave, Gallery of Guest Super Villains, and The Collectibles of Batman ‘66. The retrospective continues through March 17.
10. Take an afternoon yoga class in beautiful Grand Park. The 45 minute workout is complimentary to the public every Wednesday and Friday. After yoga, checkout the many food trucks lining the park and grab lunch al fresco style.
11. The Groundlings: The Completely Different Late Show is a hilarious improv show by the cast of the Groundlings’ Main Company. Audience shout suggestions throughout the night for improvisational scenes performed by some of the best in the business. It’s also a testing ground for brand new material for the Groundlings’ main show. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
Saturday January 13th, 2018
12. Head to Echo Park Lake for Fiesta Perpetua! Acclaimed experimental Mexican vocalist Carmina Escobar will lead a 40-member Oaxacan youth brass band in a performance on floating rafts and at spots surrounding the picturesque lake. FREE
13. The Burger & Beerfest comes to Santa Anita Park this Saturday with mouth-watering gourmet burgers from some of the best burger joints in Southern California, accompanied by frosty brews. Check for discount tickets before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
14. A fun, creative show for kids, Story Pirates Live Radio Show returns to the Wallis Annenberg Center for the Performing Arts in Beverly Hills this Saturday.
15. L.A.’s only live animated comedy show Picture This! is back with another free show at The Virgil. This time they’ll also showcase live animated improv for the first time. FREE
16. The Hello Kitty Cafe will pop-up in Culver City this Saturday from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. with super adorable treats for kids and adults.
17. Celebrate Martin Luther King Jr. Day with a service and community event at Baldwin Hills Crenshaw Plaza. In honor of the beloved civil rights figure, Baldwin Hills will host a day of giving back with a variety of free services for individuals and families. FREE
18. Fusing the world of anime and video games, Anime Impulse happening January 13-14 will feature celebrity appearances, esports, artist alleys, Kawaii fashion, and cosplay, all at the Fairplex in Pomona.
19. Boomtown Brewery is throwing a release party for their specialty canned beer Double IPA called Ignorant this Saturday. International graffiti and tattoo artist Fuzi, whose mural adorns the wall of the brewery will be on hand doing flash tattoos for $100. There will also be a DJ spinning tunes and food by CA Burger Shop. Admission to the party is free.
20. The 37th Annual Asian American Expo will takeover the Fairplex in Pomona from January 13-14 with vendors, performances, food and much more.
21. Looking for a little free comedy this weekend in NELA? The Frogtown Show is a free monthly comedy show that takes place at Spoke Bicycle Cafe along the L.A. River. Light bites, wine and beer specials will be available for the evening. FREE
22. This weekend The Record Parlour is hosting free vinyl days on both Saturday and Sunday. Spend $20 and you get to take home 100 records for free. Bringing your own box or bag is recommended!
Sunday January 14th, 2018
23. Enjoy unlimited tastings of specialty and limited-edition beers during DTLA Breweries United Fest ’18. Taking place at Triangle Lot the brew-centric event proceeds will go directly to non-profit Keep A Breast.
24. The Wallis in Beverly Hills will host “Dance Sundays” with famed actress/dancer/choreographer Debbie Allen. Suitable for the whole family, each month will feature a special dance theme, this month it’s Flamenco. FREE
25. The annual Happy Birthday Marion! event returns to celebrate the popular silent-era film actress with a fabulous vintage style party at the Annenberg Community Beach House. FREE
26. Friendship Buddies is a weekly stand-up comedy show at the Verdugo Bar in Glassell Park. Come hangout in the back patio, enjoy a cocktail, and LOL to outstanding stand-up comedians in Los Angeles. FREE
27. Free admission at: Museum of Latin American Art, USC Pacific Asian Museum (11 am. to 5 p.m.) and Craft and Folk Art Museum (pay what you can).
Want to get our to-do lists straight to your inbox every week? Sign up for our email program.
Have an upcoming event you’d like suggest for listing? Drop us a line at [email protected]