Los Angeles provides no limit of things to do, some awesome and some not so awesome. Since time is precious in this fast paced city, we decided to curate a list of things to do in Los Angeles every week end that’ll help you decide how you want to spend your limited supply of attention (not to mention dollars!).
This weekend (Dec. 23 to Dec. 25) includes the LA County Holiday Celebration, Christmas at the Laugh Factory, the start of Hanukkah, the Enchanted Forest of Lights at Descanso Gardens, and LOTS more to choose from.
Also remember you can always go to our L.A. events calendar page to get an updated rundown of what’s happening around the city.
[IMPORTANT: Want our latest ‘things to do’ rundowns sent straight to your email inbox? Sign-up for our newsletter program]
Keep in mind that while we retain complete editorial control of our content, for some of the ticketing options provided we utilize affiliate links and receive a commission if you purchase through our links.
Friday December 23rd, 2016
1. Enchanted: Forest of Light at Descanso Gardens will offer visitors a colorful one-mile path route through 10 distinct light displays at unique points within the garden. Happening now through Jan. 8. Check for Discount tickets before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
2. Thrones!, a hilarious musical parody of Game of Thrones is playing at The Hudson Theatres in Hollywood this Friday. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
3. The Queen Mary’s signature winter attraction, CHILL, returns with a holiday theme of Alice in Winterland, promising an interactive and immersive experiences for the whole family to enjoy. Check for discounted tickets all holiday weekend before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
4. Kick off your Christmas weekend with a “festive” double-feature at The Aero Theatre in Santa Monica: Die Hard & Lethal Weapon. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
5. LA Zoo Lights is back! Now in its third year, the after-hours event showcases animal-themed LEDs, lasers, 3D projections, and animated displays throughout the zoo. Check for discounted tickets all week before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
6. Harry Potter Burlesque, Chamber of the Dirty Little Secrets will take the stage at Harvelle’s in Long Beach this Friday. Tickets to the show are $12, and no one under 21 is allowed.
7. Union Station’s south patio will provide some holiday entertainment with “Coco Concerts” held beneath the stations towering Christmas tree. The family-friendly celebration will feature A Very Salsa Christmas with La Picante. FREE
8. On Fridays Royce’s Arcade Warehouse hosts ‘Threeplay Fridays’ from 4 to 7 p.m. For $3 you get three hours of unlimited play of games such as Donkey Kong, Street Fighter 2, Ms. Pac-Man, Galaga and many more.
9. The NASA’s Pavilion sound experience is now of view at The Huntington Library. A “soundscape” experience that represents the movement of the International Space Station and 19 Earth Science satellites the shell like sculpture emits sounds each interpreting one of the satellites’ missions. Open to the public till Feb. 27, 2017.
10. Free admission days this Friday for: Long Beach Museum of Art and Museum of Latin American Art (5 to 9 p.m.)
Saturday December 24th, 2016
11. Winter Fest, the O.C. winter wonderland, is back from Dec. 16 through Jan. 1. This year’s holiday festival features a festival of lights, snow summit, outdoor ice skating, ice tubing, snowfall and the man of the hour, Santa Claus. Check for discounted tickets before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED(via Goldstar)
12. The 57th Annual LA County Holiday Celebration at the Music Center returns to the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion at The Music Center in Downtown LA. This festive Christmas Eve afternoon event will feature a variety of multicultural musical acts performing free for the public. FREE
13. Every year in North Hollywood / Toluca Lake on Christmas Eve the Magical Caroling Truck packed with holiday carolers takes to the streets to sing to residents of The Valley.
14. The Rink in Downtown Burbank invites you to ice skate in a winter wonderland. Perfect for a date or family night, the festive outdoor rink is located right next to hundreds of shops and restaurants. Happening all weekend. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
15. Sherman Oaks resident Mike Ziemkowski takes his Christmas decorating very seriously. Ziemkowski’s Lights on Display is a beloved local tradition worth driving to. Starts nightly at 5 p.m. through the start of the new year. FREE
16. Largest outdoor ice skating rink returns to Pershing Square for its 19th winter run. The 7,200 square-foot Holiday Ice Rink® Pershing Square will be open every day of the holiday season through Jan. 16.
17. MatzoBall the ultimate Jewish singles mixer will take place at The Association this Christmas Eve. The massive Jewish singles event has been dubbed “The Nation’s No. 1 Holiday Party!”
18. Hanukkah starts on evening of Dec. 24 and will end on the evening of Jan. 1. To mark the beginning of the holiday there will be a Menorah Lighting and Hanukkah Celebration at Sherman Oaks Galleria at 6 p.m. and Hanukkah festivities at Universal Citywalk from 8 t0 10 p.m.
Sunday December 25th, 2016
19. This Christmas the Laugh Factory in Hollywood welcomes all those who are living in L.A. away from home, homeless, or simply in need of a good meal and a hearty laugh. Top comics will join other celebrities to serve guests a Christmas dinner with all the trimmings free of charge.
20. Get all warm and fuzzy because it’s Christmas At The Bunny Museum! A bunny style Christmas celebration will take place with Bunny ornaments, carrot-colored lights and other holiday bunny decorations will fill up the museum. The owners encourage folks to bring a platter of fruits and vegetables to feed the real bunnies. Admission is $5.
21. Most important on this list… have a Merry Christmas everyone! Much love to you and yours over the holiday weekend.
MORE IDEAS: The Best Things to do for Christmas Time in L.A.
Want to get our to-do lists straight to your inbox every week? Sign up for our email program.
Have an upcoming event you’d like suggest for listing? Drop us a line at [email protected].