Los Angeles provides no limit of things to do, some awesome and some not so awesome.
Since time is precious in this fast paced city, we decided to curate a list of things to do in Los Angeles every week end that’ll help you decide how you want to spend your limited supply of attention (not to mention dollars!).
This weekend (Apr. 7 to Apr. 9) includes the Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach, Broke LA, SoCal Corgi Beach Day, th LA Beer Fest, First Fridays, and LOTS more to choose from.
Also remember you can always go to our L.A. events calendar page to get an updated rundown of what’s happening around the city.
[IMPORTANT: Want our latest ‘things to do’ rundowns sent straight to your email inbox? Sign-up for our newsletter program]
Keep in mind that while we retain complete editorial control of our content, for some of the ticketing options provided we utilize affiliate links and receive a commission if you purchase through our links.
Friday April 7th, 2017
1. The folks at Rooftop Cinema Club are back for 2017 with another exciting season of outdoor movie screenings atop the Ricardo Montalbán Theatre in Hollywood. The screening schedule this weekend includes Goodfellas on Friday and Mulholland Drive on Saturday.
2. The Natural History Museum’s First Fridays returns for after hours at the museum, special music performances and themed panel discussions. This year the talks will be centered around the science behind food.
3. The Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach is back from April 7 to 9 with auto showcases, a celebrity race, music, food, and the featured IndyCar event on Sunday. Check for discount tickets before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
4. National Geographic Live returns to the Eli and Edythe Broad Stage in Santa Monica with The Mystery of Our Human Story. The event includes a post-show Q&A with National Geographic Explorer-in-Residence and Paleoanthropologist, Lee Berger. Happening April 6 and 7. Discount tickets are available via Goldstar while supplies last. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
5. The Wallis presents the West Coast debut of The Encounter. Described as one of the most moving theatrical experiences staged on Broadway and London, Encounter follows the true story of National Geographic photographer Loren McIntyre as he finds himself lost in the Amazon. Combining excellent storytelling with 3D audio technology the show is directed and performed by Complicite’s Simon McBurney. Performances run April 6 through April 16. Check for discounted tickets on Goldstar while supplies last. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
6. The TCM Film Festival returns to Hollywood from April 6 to 9. This ultimate event for classic film lovers brings over 80 movie screenings to iconic Hollywood venues: the Chinese Theater (opened in 1927), 1922’s Egyptian Theater, and the venerable Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel.
7. Thrones!, a hilarious musical parody of Game of Thrones is playing at The Hudson Theatre in Hollywood all weekend. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
8. Los Angeles based fashion label Greylin is having a sample sale April 6-8 with prices starting at just $10.
9. The Great Horror Movie Nights at the Old Zoo in Griffith Park will screen a double feature of Fright Night and Ghostbusters. The event will feature plenty of pre-show entertainment including games, prizes, and roaming scare-actors. Discount tickets are available via Goldstar while supplies last. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
10. Monsterpalooza 2017 comes to The Pasadena Convention Center April 7 through 9 for the ultimate celebration of monsters and movie magic.
11. Experience the food and culture of East Hollywood’s ethnic neighborhoods through a four hour foodie tour this Saturday. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
12. The Griffith Observatory hosts a monthly forum where some of the most amazing phenomena in the known universe are explained and discussed. It’s called All Space Considered and it takes place on the first Friday of every month. FREE
13. HAH will be hosting a pre-festival sample sale along with YFB in Downtown Los Angeles this weekend (Friday, Saturday, and Sunday). Score items as low as $5, $10, $20, $30 and 40% off current stock!
14. Emmy-nominated actor-comedian, writer, producer and director Jeff Garlin comes to Flappers Comedy Club Burbank April 7-8. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
15. Since its the first Friday of the month check out all the cool events happening around town including block parties and art walks for First Fridays.
16. Ahmanson Theatre presents the much beloved Tony Award-winning Stephen Sondheim musical Into the Woods. The new rival of the classic will be performed by the acclaimed Fiasco Theater production. Happening throughout the weekend. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
17. Every Friday in April Greenbar Distillery in Downtown Los Angeles will host cocktail classes featuring seasonal and themed drinks. This week’s theme is Seasonal Produce Cocktails (Gin x Vodka x Tequila).
18. L.A. Urban Adventures invites you to relive Old Hollywood by taking a stroll down the Hollywood Walk of Fame while stopping to hear stories about historic spots, sample drinks made famous during the Golden Age and try out local street food. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
19. The #1 show in Vegas history comes to L.A. LIVE for a limited engagement. Absinthe, the immersive variety show will feature comedy, burlesque, aerial and acrobatic acts. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
20. The Alchemist’s Lab is an escape room experience putting you right in the shoes of a junior detective at Scotland Yard in the 19th century. Do you have what it takes to uncover the devious plans of the alchemist? DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
21. Free admission days this Friday for: Norton Simon Museum (5 to 8 p.m.), Pasadena Museum of California Art (noon to 5 pm), Long Beach Museum of Art (3 – 8 p.m.) FREE
Saturday April 8th, 2017
22. Enjoy the festival vibe without breaking the bank at Broke LA 2017. Music fans will once again be entertained by a lineup of musicians, bands & comedians along with food vendors, a dog park, art installations and more. Check for discount tickets before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
23. Corgis, owners and dog fans alike will invade Huntington Dog Beach for a full-day of corgi activities during SoCal Corgi Beach Day. Similar to last year, the event will feature contests, games and other dog-friendly entertainment. FREE
24. Hosted by Drink Eat Play, the LA Beer Festival is back on April 8 for their spring event at Los Angeles Center Studios. Guests are invited to sample dozens of local and national beers while listening to 90’s-inspired tunes. There will also be various food trucks with delicious snacks and meals available for purchase.
25. Calling all wizards and muggles alike, the 6th Annual Harry Potter Roller Skating Night is going down at Moonlight Rollerway this Saturday! The Harry Potter event will feature music from the film series, a costume contest, raffles, butterbeer & more!
26. Watch an all star cast give a live reading of the movie Juno to support Planned Parenthood at The Theatre at The Ace. All proceeds benefit Planned Parenthood!!!
27. The Original Renaissance Pleasure Faire is back at the Santa Fe Dam Recreation Area in Irwindale April 8 through May 21. Come to the fair for an afternoon of games, rides, mouthwatering food and artisan crafts.
28. The Queen Mary’s 2nd Annual FantaSea is a unique festival of magic that includes multiple events including a magic show and dinner, vintage-inspired mixology tasting classes, celebrity magicians and more. Check for discount tickets before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
29. L.A. based burlesque troupe The Dollface Dames take over the Magicopolis stage for a night of tease, balloon popping, belly dance and even clogging. Lets just say they do a lot in their 80 minute show. But the fun doesn’t end there the Magicopolis bartenders double as magicians! DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
30. Head to PLATFORM in Culver City for a pre festival season weekend. There will be plenty of shopping opportunities and a secret rooftop soiree and inflatable pools!
31. Zombie Joe’s Underground Theatre returns with their signature horror-theatre show Urban Death revamped for this year! The show will take a deep dive into unspeakable horrors, monstrosities, and disturbed spirits that walk among us. Highly regarded as one of the must see shows in L.A. annually this show is perfect for horror fans.
32. CorePower Yoga is teaming up with Stretch4Vets and Embrace to host a one of a kind class on the USS Iowa. Hundreds of yogis are expected to show up to support a great cause.
33. SEPIA Collective has produced a multi-city fine art exhibition called ICONIC: Black Panther featuring original Panther’s work combined with local and internationally recognized artists who fight for equality. The show will take place at the Gregorio Escalante Gallery on April 8 and will run until May 14.
34. W Hollywood is hosting a Shopping Bazaar this Saturday to kick off spring and festival season. Score discounts from Sonix, Montce Swim, Perverse Eyewear, Chaser, Endless Summer and more. ULTA and MATRIX will be offering complimentary beauty glam and hair styling. FREE
35. Celebrate Japanese American history during JANM Free Family Day in Little Tokyo. Learn about Japanese American history, partake in educational events, crafts and meet actor/activist George Takei! FREE
Sunday April 9th, 2017
36. If you’re interested in becoming a social and/or political activist, head over to The Wiltern on Sunday, April 9 for a FREE workshop called Stand Up and Fight Back: Tactics and Strategies for Effective Creative Activism. FREE
37. The Montrose Food and Brewfest features unlimited food samples from local restaurants and chefs from the Montrose area as well as unlimited beer samples from various breweries! Check for discount tickets before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
38. The Amazing Los Angeles Race II is part scavenger hunt, part sightseeing tour. Spend your Sunday afternoon getting to know the city of angels by making your way through iconic L.A. sites while solving puzzles – it’s an active and fast pace way to visit all tourists areas on your bucket list. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
39. Free admission days this Sunday for: Museum of Latin American Art and Craft and Folk Art Museum (pay what you can)
Want to get our to-do lists straight to your inbox every week? Sign up for our email program.
Have an upcoming event you’d like suggest for listing? Drop us a line at email@example.com.