Los Angeles provides no limit of things to do, some awesome and some not so awesome.
Since time is precious in this fast paced city we curate a list of things to do in Los Angeles for every weekend that’ll help you decide how you want to spend your limited supply of attention (not to mention dollars!).
This weekend (June 23-25) includes the L.A. Zoo’s Roaring Nights, Summer Happenings at The Broad, Sierra Nevada’s Beer Camp, the Long Beach Bayou Festival, an art fair at the Storrier Stearns Japanese Garden, and MUCH more.
Also remember you can always go to our L.A. events calendar page to get an updated rundown of what’s happening around the city.
[IMPORTANT: Want our latest ‘things to do’ rundowns sent straight to your email inbox? Sign-up for our newsletter program]
Keep in mind that while we retain complete editorial control of our content, for some of the ticketing options provided we utilize affiliate links and receive a commission if you purchase through our links.
Friday June 23rd, 2017
1. The L.A. Zoo’s annual Roaring Nights is back with an awesome assortment of music, food trucks, animal encounters, new exhibits and more. This week’ theme is 60’s Safari Night. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
2. The Levitt Pavilion in McArthur Park continue their annual free concert series this weekend with Tank And The Bangas and Sweet Crude on Friday; Kinky on Saturday and Kiddle Karoo on Sunday. FREE
3. Shakespeare By The Sea returns with free performances for the summer. This weekend (June 23-24) they’ll be performing Macbeth at Point Fermin Park in San Pedro. While admission is free encourage donations to help support the play. FREE
4. BET Experience is a four-day showcase of the best in music, comedy and entertainment. The event, which features both free and ticketed events, takes place at L.A. Live in Downtown Los Angeles from June 22-25 featuring Snoop Dogg, Wiz Khalifa, Kid Cudi, A$AP Rocky, Gucci Mane, Bell Biv DeVoe and more.
5. The City of Monterey Park presents Summer Movie Nights, a movie series taking place at five different parks in Monterey Park during the summer. This week they will screen Rogue One at Garvey Ranch Park. FREE
6. The Music Center’s Dance DTLA series returns for a summer full of free dance parties, every Friday, running through September 1. This week’s featured style is Cumbia. FREE
7. Dwell on Design, America’s largest design event, returns to the Los Angeles bringing together the best and brightest products, services, and thought leaders in modern design today for a series of conversations, demonstrations, tours, and much more. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
8. Constitution Happy Hour at AMMO at The Hammer continues this Friday with a focus on the question “Can we achieve racial justice under the Constitution? ”
9. Grand Performances presents Long Beach Opera FRIDA on Friday and Miguel Atwood-Ferguson: Suite for Ma Dukes and New Originals on Saturday. FREE
10. The 3rd Annual Angel City Games returns to UCLA June 22 through 25 with the leading adaptive sports festival for people with physical disabilities. Angel City Games is an inclusive competition featuring a celebrity basketball game, a charity fun run & roll, sports clinics, its first-ever Great Games Family Cookout and a fun zone for kids.
11. Los Angeles LGBT Center Out Under the Stars presents What Ever Happened to Baby Jane? at Hollywood Forever Cemetery. Benefiting the Center’s programs and services guests are welcome to bring a picnic, enjoy music from a live DJ and swag from their sponsors.
12. Spend Friday sipping wine at an architectural gem during The Barnsdall Art Park’s annual Wine Tasting Nights. Now in its ninth year, the series feature tastings of boutique artisanal wines, along with food trucks, amazing food pop-ups and music from KCRW DJs
13. Los Angeles Beer Week (June 17-25) is back! Now in its ninth year the week will feature dozens of beer-centric events over nine days in numerous locations all over the Southland.
14. The Groundlings: The Completely Different Late Show is a hilarious improv show by the cast of the Groundlings’ Main Company. Audience shout suggestions throughout the night for improvisational scenes performed by some of the best in the business. It’s also a testing ground for brand new material for the Groundlings’ main show. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
15. Greenbar Distillery is hosting a cocktail classes in Downtown LA this Friday with seasonal fresh produce cocktails using rum and whiskey. Bonus! There’s a special Saturday edition as well.
16. Black Rabbit Rose, part theater for magic and variety acts and part craft cocktail bar, takes you into their retro-style cabaret shows set in an intimate and mysterious setting. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
17. It’s “Take Your Dog To Work Day” a worldwide event celebrating man’s best friend by bringing them along to work. We suggest consulting with your boss before actually bringing Fido to your work place. 😉
Saturday June 24th, 2017
18. Summer Happenings at The Broad returns with contemporary art, music and performances in a one of a kind late-night environment. This Saturday the series begins with a night dedicated to Andy Warhol.
19. Enjoy some free Shakespeare this summer when the Independent Shakespeare Co. returns for the 8th year in a row with free / donation-based performances at the Old Zoo in Griffith Park. They will kick off their season with a performance of Measure for Measure on June 24-25.
20. Eat|See|Hear brings a screening of Grease at North Hollywood Recreation Center. Check for discount tickets before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
21. Celebrate the grand opening of Wallis Annenberg PetSpace in Playa Vista. This new community space offers pet adoptions and educational programming while educating the public about the science behind the special bond between humans and animals. On opening day enjoy family-oriented activities, behind-the-scenes tours, food trucks and surprises for all. FREE
22. The Electric Dusk Drive-In is back at the LACCD Van De Kamp college campus. This weekend they will screen Jurassic Park. Check for discount tickets before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
23. The first ever Arroyo Seco Weekend (June 24-25) is a two-day food and music festival taking place at Brookside Park in Pasadena. Headliners include Mumford & Sons, The Shins, Fitz + the Tantrums, Alabama Shake and Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers.
24. Outdoor summer concert series Off the 405 at the Getty Center showcases today’s hottest bands while surrounded by some of the most beautiful gardens, views and architecture in Los Angeles. This weekend La Luz will perform. FREE
25. Big Sing L.A. led by the Los Angeles Master Chorale is a giant day of public singing taking place in Grand Park this Saturday. Choral conductors like Grant Gershon and Francisco Núñez will lead the public through a program of popular songs including “Hey Jude,” “The Lion Sleeps Tonight,” and “Bridge Over Troubled Water.” All are welcome and no experience is necessary! FREE
26. There’s an immersive bioluminescence outdoor art installation coming to a secret beach location this Saturday. Night Life LA (02) will have guests surrounded by glowing bioluminescent algae cultivated for this art installation. This event is the brainchild of an anonymous, L.A.-based group that creates free artistic disruptions in unconventional urban sites. Their other projects include the Griffith Park Teahouse and Petal Drop LA. FREE
27. The 40th annual Riviera Village Summer Festival returns to Redondo Beach on June 24 and 25 with an international food court, carnival rides, over 300 vendor booths, beer and wine gardens and plenty of live music. FREE
28. Sierra Nevada’s Beer Camp is one of the largest craft beer celebrations and takes place in eight cities nationwide. For Los Angeles the event will be held at Queen Mary Events Park and will include unlimited samplings of hundreds of craft beers, food trucks, live music and more.
29. The 31st Annual Long Beach Bayou Festival returns on June 24 and 25 for another year of crawfish eating, zydeco bands and everything else that makes the bayou “home.” Highlights include Cajun and Creole cuisine, a crawfish eating contest, Mardi Gras parade, non-stop dancing and more.
30. The Los Angeles Conservancy presents Last Remaining Seats featuring classic film screenings in Downtown Los Angeles’ vintage movie palaces. The series continues with two movies this Saturday at the Orpheum Theatre. E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial at 2 p.m. and JAWS at 8 p.m. Check for discounted tickets before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
31. Street Food Cinema this Saturday features two screenings: Crazy, Stupid, Love at Central Park Glendale and Friday at Exposition Park Los Angeles.
32. Browse through 15 cigar purveyors from Cuba, Nicaragua, the Dominican Republic, Honduras and the United States during Cigar Festival Americana at Santa Anita Park in Arcadia. Enjoy a nice cigar, wager on live thoroughbred racing and listen to music from Moonsville Collective. Check for discounted tickets before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
33. Cliftons Living History Tour is a 45-minute guided excursion led by Kahlil Nelson. Take a peek into DTLA history and the fascinating rooms at the iconic food hall. Although tour reservations are free, donations are strongly encouraged.
Sunday June 25th, 2017
34. Seu Jorge – The Life Aquatic: A Tribute to David Bowie comes to the Hollywood Bowl as Brazilian troubadour Seu Jorge celebrates David Bowie’s music with a live orchestra for the first time.
35. The 17th annual Summer Soulstice celebration returns to Santa Monica with their annual free party featuring live music, local vendors and various attractions like a “Rock Star Pet Parade,” a wine garden, a Beauty & Wellness Expo, a Beach House Tech Expo and more.
36. Smorgasburg LA is a weekly open-air market featuring dozens of local food vendors serving a wide range of cuisines. Runs 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. every Sunday. Get free two-hour parking at the ROW DTLA structure.
37. 40z & Waffles returns with a special BET Weekend edition promising a “super lit brunch and day party.” The summer kick off party will be held at Liaison Restaurant + Lounge in Hollywood. Expect brunch, beer pong, complimentary D’USSÉ cocktails (first hour) and loads more. The event runs from noon to 5 p.m. admission is $20.
38. Art Beyond the Glass returns for its sixth year of bartenders showcasing their cocktail artistry in a multi-sensory experience and art beyond the bar like painting, photography, live music and more. Hosted by whisky legend Martin Daraz, the proceeds from the event will support storytelling nonprofit The Moth and will take place at Los Globos in Silver Lake. Tickets cost $60 per person.
39. Shakespeare’s enchanting A Midsummer Night’s Dream returns to Topanga Canyon’s Theatricum Botanicum a uniquely rustic outdoor theater surrounded by oak trees.
40. Storrier Stearns Japanese Garden is hosting their second annual Art Fair in the Garden as part of their Open Day Last Sunday program. The Garden will transform itself into a unique open-air gallery where guests will have a chance to meet local artists and purchase one-of-a-kind art pieces. Tickets are limited and must be reserved in advance.
41. UCB Sunset presents Science Time with Alex Berg a talk show about science with actual experts and live music. Special guest Moogega Cooper from JPL will try to explain gravitational waves as host Alex Berg shows the audience how cool physics, biology, and cognitive science can be!
42. Union Station presents The Floor Improv Day with bass player Oskar Cartaya and his Afro-Caribbean funk band. The program also includes an instrument workshop with Christian Moraga and a dance performance with Korede “Snoopy” Sonupe. FREE
Want to get our to-do lists straight to your inbox every week? Sign up for our email program.
Have an upcoming event you’d like suggest for listing? Drop us a line at [email protected]