Los Angeles provides no limit of things to do, some awesome and some not so awesome. Since time is precious in this fast paced city, we decided to curate a list of things to do in Los Angeles every week end that’ll help you decide how you want to spend your limited supply of attention (not to mention dollars!).
This weekend (Sept. 9-11) includes the Original Lobster Festival, MainFest in Alhambra, a Pancakes & Booze Art Show, an Ice Cream Takedown at the Bootleg Theatre, the Echo Park Lake Film Series, and LOTS more to choose from.
Also remember you can always go to our L.A. events calendar page to get an updated rundown of what’s happening around the city.
[IMPORTANT: Want our latest ‘things to do’ rundowns sent straight to your email inbox? Sign-up for our newsletter program]
Keep in mind that while we retain complete editorial control of our content, for some of the ticketing options provided we utilize affiliate links and receive a commission if you purchase through our links.
Friday September 9th, 2016
1. The 20th annual Original Lobster Fest (Sept. 9-11) is a three-day crustacean-centered event featuring noms, live entertainment, an interactive reptile exhibit, and much more. Be sure to check for discounted tickets before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
2. The Pancakes & Booze Art Show (Sept. 9-10) is back with two-nights of over the top fun. Expect over 125 emerging artists to participate, live body painting, live painting, photo booth, musical performances and a zombie fashion show (fashion show only on Saturday). Oh, and LOTS of pancakes!
3. The Groundlings Theatre will bring together their best sketches and troupe members for a night of epic proportions as they set out to put on their largest main stage show of the year called Groundlings Pledge Week. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
4. The Getty Villa’s fall outdoor theater production is back! Haunted House Party, a comedy based Plautus’s Mostellaria, will be performed every Thursday-Saturday through Oct. 1. Be sure to grab discount tickets for select performances via our friends at Goldstar. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
5. There’s no better way to get prepped for the new slate of fall television programming than at The PaleyFest Fall TV Preview taking place Sept. 8-15. The CW, Fox, ABC, CBS, El Ray, and NBC will all have panels promoting their new shows along with the stars of said shows.
6. The Alchemist’s Lab: A Victorian Escape Room happening Thursday through Sunday. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
7. Celebrate the 25th anniversary of Beauty and the Beast at the El Capitan Theatre in Hollywood when they screen the film Thursday and throughout the weekend. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
8. Rooftop Cinema Club features two screenings this weekend: The Godfather on Friday and Scarface on Saturday.
9. Head to the Annenberg Community Beach House for a free sunset swim during their adults only (18+) nights. Guest can enjoy a complimentary snack bar and there will be music and activities. No reservations are required. FREE
10. Oktoberfest in Alpine Village starts Sept. 9! Enjoy traditional Bavarian fun, food, and beer at the oldest running Oktoberfest celebration in Southern California at Alpine Village in Torrance. Festivities continue all the way until Oct. 29.
11. The Burbank International Film Festival (Sept. 7-11) returns for its 8th year in a row with five days of screening over 150 films and hosting some truly special events.
12. LACMA’s award winning Department of Music Program provides hundreds of free concerts and musical events every year for Angelenos to enjoy. This Friday their jazz series continues at the BP Grand Entrance.
13. The Bailey Blue one day sale is happening from 11 a.m.- 4:30 p.m. score dresses, skirts, and tops for $9! Location: 1850 E 15th St Unit B Los Angeles, CA 90021
14. Free Museums This Friday
- The Long Beach Museum of Art is free from 3 – 8 p.m every Friday. FREE
Saturday September 10th, 2016
15. Head to the SGV for performances by Capital Cities, Miami Horror, Chk Chk Chk and more at the inaugural MainFest, a dance-centric Alhambra music festival. Check for discount tickets before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
16. Join 85+ craft beer vendors in San Dimas for the California Beer Festival happening Sept. 10-11. Check for discount tickets before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
17. Skip the mall and shop small during Unique LA’s Fall Market. Score exclusive goods from over 125 independent designers and artists at below retail prices.
18. WelcomeFest at The Wallis invites you to spend the weekend (Sept. 10-11) enjoying free performances by local and renowned artists all showcasing some of the upcoming shows at the performing arts center in Beverly Hills. Complimentary workshops and panels will also be a part of this weekend. FREE
19. The Electric Dusk Drive-In is back at a new location on Fletcher Street at the LACCD Van De Kamp college campus complete with an astroturf outdoor seating area. Bring a car or come with lawn chairs this week Reality Bites will be screened. Check for discount tickets before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
20. Experience the food and culture of East Hollywood’s ethnic neighborhoods through a four hour foodie tour this Saturday. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
21. The LA International Neon Jubilee celebrates the re-lighting of the Union Theater marquee this Saturday starting with free events all day. Echo Park Film Center will offer workshops for families, the LA Rollers will entertain you with their skills and DJ Lance Rock (of Yo Gabba Gabba fame) will do a set. Tons of music, food trucks, and vendors will also be on hand throughout the day. FREE
22. Shoreline Jam is back at The Queen Mary for its 6th year featuring some of California’s best Reggae performers including Iration, Triabal Seeds, YellowMan, J Boog, Bad Apples and more! Check for discount tickets before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
23. Enjoy two full days of music, art, activities and food during Feed LA Fest happening Sept. 10 and 11 at Historical Monument 157 in East L.A. benefiting FeedLA and ShareHopeUSA.
24. The Long Beach Beer Fest lands in Belmont Veterans Memorial Pier this Saturday. Beer lovers will have access to unlimited samples of brews from 20+ breweries in addition to food trucks and live music throughout the day. Check for discounted tickets before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
25. The 14th annual Chalk Art Festival returns to Redondo Beach Pier this weekend with a day filled with chalk art, musical entertainment and prizes. FREE
26. Street Food Cinema has screenings of three movies this Saturday. Chicago at Glendale Central Park (discounted) and Gremlins at Victory Park (discounted) and Bridesmaids at Poinsettia Rec Park (discounted). DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar).
27. Visit the Bergamot Station Arts Center during their annual free Fall Open event. Home to over 40 galleries the center will be open to the public with receptions in several galleries to celebrate upcoming fall exhibits. FREE
28. Top comics will take the stage at the iconic Comedy Store on the Sunset Strip this Saturday including Anthony Jeselnik and more. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
29. The Echo Park Film Series, in partnership with Council member Mitch O’Farrell, is presenting a series of summer/fall movie nights at Echo Park Lake this week Funny Girl will be screened. FREE
30. The L.A. County Fair continues at the Fairplex this week, running Wednesday through Sunday until Sept. 25. Be sure to check for discount tickets on select dates from Goldstar, while supplies last. This weekend Iggy Azalea will perform (discount tickets available!!!). DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
31. Every summer The Getty presents Saturdays Off the 405 a free live music evening with some of the best up and coming bands in music. This weekend electronic music duo Demdike Stare will perform an original live set in response to the new exhibition London Calling: Bacon, Freud, Kossoff, Andrews, Auerbach, and Kitaj. Tickets are not required. FREE
32. In honor of the upcoming Philippine Arts & Culture festival, FilAm ARTS will host a food and beer night at Pico House in DTLA featuring The Park’s Finest, Stoked California BBQ, and SALO Series with music by Gingee.
33. Eat|See|Hear is back with a screening of Pretty in Pink. Check for discounted tickets before you make your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
34. DJ Shadow is selling part of his record collection at Rappcats in Highland Park Sept. 10-11. Dubbed the “First Annual DJ Shadow Storage Sale” the sale will have all records, posters, tapes priced at $15 and below. You might be able to meet DJ Shadow he’ll be there and so will Intelligentsia coffee.
35. North Hollywood’s free outdoor summer movie series continues at Victory Vineland Rec Center with a screening of Frozen at 8:30 p.m. FREE
36. Once Upon a Canyon Night brings together nature and art for a series of performances in the S. Mark Taper Foundation Amphitheater nestled among the trees July 23 through September 17. This weekend is Billy Valentine Unplugged
37. The Virus: An Immersive Escape Room Experience happening Saturday through Sunday. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
38. Now in it’s 15th season Cinespia brings classic films to the famed Fairbanks Lawn at the Hollywood Forever Cemetery. Some 4,000 moviegoers are expected to attend per night, bring blankets, food and drinks (including alcoholic beverages). This week they will screen the Sixteen Candles.
39. The Giant Robot 2 (GR2) gallery will host FROM WHENCE WE CAME, a solo exhibition by Kozyndan this Saturday featuring a full spectrum of their primitive bunny sculptures. Opening reception with the artist is from 6:30 p.m. to 10 p.m. FREE
40. The National Park Service will give a free tour of the historic Rancho Sierra Vista this Saturday from 9-11 a.m. Guest also have an option to go on a one-mile hike and visitors can meet the parks patrol horses and participate in ranching activities. All ages welcome. FREE
41. The City of Santa Monica’s Buy Local Health and Fitness Festival takes place on Saturday at the Civic Center celebrating Santa Monica businesses through food, pop-up shops, activities and giveaways. Stop by interactive beneficial booths featuring friendly therapy dogs, fitness centers, massage specialists, health screenings and more. FREE
42. Brooklyn-born craft market Artists & Fleas will be in the Arts District of DTLA this weekend and will feature locally made art, fashion, vintage and beyond. FREE
Sunday September 11th, 2016
43. The LA Ice Cream Takedown is coming to the Bootleg Theater this Sunday. Ice cream makers will be scooping up samples and guest will do the judging on who takes home the top prize and bragging rights.
44. Barnsdall Art Park Foundation is hosting its Wine & a Movie fundraising series at the Hollyhock House. This weekend they will screen Jules et Jim Picnic and Décadanse Soirée will deliver French tunes and Zebulon LA will curate live music.
45. Namaste to Yoga + Beer at Brewyard Beer Company in Glendale as they host a 60 minute yoga class. The class cost $10 and comes with a FREE pint of beer! Get your tickets online or show up on Sunday to pay in person.
46. 2 Girls 1 Pup is a comedy show hosted by Monique Madrid, Comet the pup and a rotation of girl hosts. Set up at Tailwaggers in Hollywood, pet owners can bring their little pups along for the show! Come early for the red carpet, PUPparazzi, doggy caricatures, PUPcorn and free PBR’s! See line up here. All proceeds go directly to The Tailwaggers Foundation.
47. Held on the second Sunday of each month the Rosebowl Flea Market has everything you can imagine from vintage tees, unique vintage jewelry and furniture you’ll find yourself browsing for hours.
48. The South Park 20 Experience opened this month at The Paley Center in Beverly Hills. Check out the foul mouth characters 20 years of anitics all under one roof. FREE
49 It’s pay what you can at the Craft and Folk Art Museum on Sunday.
50. Free Museum this Sunday:
- The Museum of Latin American Art is free on Sundays. FREE
- Pacific Asia Museum FREE
Want to get our to-do lists straight to your inbox every week? Sign up for our email newsletter.
Have an upcoming event you’d like suggest for listing? Drop us a line at [email protected].