You know what’s handy?
Waking up in the morning, firing up your phone/computer and being able to scan a super quick (but curated) rundown of the best of what lies ahead for the day at hand in the city you live in. So here it is!
Below is our quick link list of 10 fun things to do in Los Angeles for today, Saturday, September 9, 2017. May it lead you to adventure!
[IMPORTANT: Want our latest ‘things to do’ rundowns sent straight to your email inbox? Sign-up for our newsletter program]
Keep in mind for some of the ticketing options we utilize affiliate links and receive a commission if you purchase through our links (affiliates noted in parenthesis).
1. [9 a.m.] The scenic Glendale Narrows section of the Los Angeles River will be home to the fourth LA River Boat Race happening this Saturday. The race through the river is open to paddlers of all ages and abilities! Though the suggested donation is $25, all are welcome to “pay what they can afford.”
2. [10 a.m.] The LA County Fair takes over the Fairplex in Pomona from Sep. 1-24 with fair-style foods, live musical performances, carnival-style games, rides, and unique attractions such as an expanded farm section (over five acres) featuring tons of interactive agricultural experiences for guests to enjoy. Check for discount tickets before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
3. [11 a.m.] The Institute of Contemporary Art, Los Angeles (ICA LA), formerly known as the Santa Monica Museum of Art (SMMoA), will open the doors to a new 12,700-foot facility located on the south side of the Arts District in Downtown Los Angeles. ICA LA’s new digs include 7,500-square-feet of exhibition space currently housing three exhibitions on opening day. FREE
4. [noon] Willing to drive to the O.C.? The Ohana Festival comes to Doheny State Beach for a three-day music festival with a diverse musical lineup playing right off the shore of the Pacific Ocean in Dana Point. Band include Social Distortion, Eddie Vedder, Jack Johnson, Pixies, TV on the Radio, Fiona Apple and Ray Lamontagne.
5. [noon] Long Beach Original Lobster Festival (Sept. 8-10) will feature fresh Maine lobster, live music, face painting, karaoke, arts & crafts booths, a petting zoo, plus various wine/beer gardens. Check for discount tickets before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
6. [noon] Visit the Redondo Pier for the 15th Annual Chalk Art Festival, an all-ages event that transforms the South Bay pier into a work of art. Guests are free to pick up some chalk and get creative! FREE
7. [noon] Woofstock 2017 is a celebration of peace, love, and paws at the Third Street Promenade in Santa Monica. This pet-friendly day will feature lots of fun in the sun, with activities like complimentary pawdicures, live music, LA Love & Leashes adoptions, costume contest, vendor demos and giveaways. FREE
8. [1 p.m.] The High & Low Festival heads to Nos Event Center in San Bernardino with bands like Brand New, Death Cab for Cutie, Tegan and Sara, Andrew McMahon in the Wilderness, Best Coast and more. There will also be live comedy by The Hard Times. Kurt Braunholer, Mike Lawrence, Guy Branum, and Cameron Esposito.
9. [2 p.m.] The Sunstock Solar Festival comes to the Magic Box in Downtown L.A. for an all-solar music festival featuring an eclectic array of alternative and indie musical acts, solar-powered art, organic food, and more. Check for discounted ticketsbefore making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
10. [6 p.m.] The DAC Gallery will host an opening reception for The, Their, Likeness a group art exhibition featuring works from a variety of mediums that touch on the idea of portraits. FREE
Want more ideas for upcoming things to do in L.A.? Check out our Los Angeles events calendar.