Los Angeles provides no limit of things to do, some awesome and some not so awesome. Since time is precious in this fast paced city, we decided to curate a list of things to do in Los Angeles every week end that’ll help you decide how you want to spend your limited supply of attention (not to mention dollars!).
This weekend (Sept. 30 to Oct. 2) includes the DTLA Oyster Festival at GCM, a Mad Decent Block Party, free Rooftop Cinema Club, the Off The Hook Seafood Festival, the EastSide Food Fest, City of Gold at The Wiltern, and LOTS more to choose from.
Also remember you can always go to our L.A. events calendar page to get an updated rundown of what’s happening around the city.
[IMPORTANT: Want our latest ‘things to do’ rundowns sent straight to your email inbox? Sign-up for our newsletter program]
Keep in mind that while we retain complete editorial control of our content, for some of the ticketing options provided we utilize affiliate links and receive a commission if you purchase through our links.
Friday September 30th, 2016
1. Eat|See|Hear presents Front Porch Cinema, a free movie night under the stars taking place every Friday on the Santa Monica Pier from Sept. 30 through Oct. 28. Kicking off the series is Zootopia. FREE
2. The Queen Mary’s Dark Harbor returns this Thursday and promises to be darker, more shocking, and even more terrifying than the last. A new spirit named the Iron Master will join a group of sinister spirits and hundreds of their horrific henchmen ready to scare guests in the five different mazes on the ship, along with a Paintball Shooting Gallery, a 4-D horror show, freak shows and more. Check for discounted tickets before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
3. Knott’s Scary Farm is back with 13 haunted attractions, four new mazes, a thousand monsters and, for the first time ever, standalone Skeleton Room Keys. Don’t miss out on the laser gun fight with zombies! Check for discount tickets before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
4. Rooftop Cinema Club features two screenings this weekend: Romeo + Juliet on Friday and Pulp Fiction on Saturday.
5. Get discounts on The Alchemist’s Lab Escape Room Experience . DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
6. Head over to Oktoberfest in Alpine Village and enjoy traditional Bavarian fun, food, and beer. The is considered one of the oldest running Oktoberfest celebration in Southern California. Festivities continue all the way until Oct. 29.
7. Longines Masters of Los Angeles is a four-day equestrian competition focused on show jumping with activities, entertainment and competitions. Taking place at the Long Beach Convention Center. Check for discounted tickets before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
8. The Valley Film Festival (Sept. 28-Oct. 2.) taking place at the Lammele NoHo 7 Theater in North Hollywood will host over 30 indie films from feature films, shorts, music videos to documentaries. Check for discounted tickets before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
9. UnSilent Cinema is a two-night event (Sept. 29-30) at FIGat7th pairing silent film classics with scores from live musicians. FREE
10. The Virus: An Immersive Escape Room Experience happening Friday through Sunday. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
11. Starting on Sept. 30 film fanatics can view new, classic and strange films at the Egyptian Theatre in Hollywood for Beyond Fest 2016.
12. For the Record: Scorsese pays tribute to director Martin Scorsese film scores by brining to life iconic scenes and its musical counter parts from Taxi Driver to Goodfella’s and The Departed the show is supported by a stellar cast that includes Tony-winner John Lloyd Young (Jersey Boys), Pia Toscano (American Idol), and Grammy-nominee B. Slade. Playing this weekend. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
13. CreepLA returns Sept. 15 – Oct. 31, promising a bigger and scarier time where the lines of reality and performance art are blurred into your worst nightmare. Tickets available Thursday through the weekend.
14. The Fall edition of the Street Art Fair International will bring together artists, collectors and art fans to the Jeff Hamilton Studios Sept. 30 through Oct. 1 in DTLA.
15. The Getty Villa’s fall outdoor theater production is back! Haunted House Party, a comedy based Plautus’s Mostellaria, will be performed every Thursday-Saturday through Oct. 1. Be sure to grab discount tickets for select performances via our friends at Goldstar. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
Saturday October 1st, 2016
16. The Electric Dusk Drive-In is back at a new location on Fletcher Street at the LACCD Van De Kamp college campus complete with an astroturf outdoor seating area. Bring a car or come with lawn chairs this week Edward Scissorhands will be screened. Check for discount tickets before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
17. Kicking-off National Seafood Month, the Off The Hook Seafood Festival will showcase the city’s best chefs creating dishes using their favorite underwater ingredients. Taking place at the Santa Monica Pier, the event is focused on raising awareness for the sustainable seafood movement.
18. The Paella Wine & Beer Festival returns to showcase more than 20 acclaimed chefs specializing in paella plus the largest paella made in California.
19. L.A.’s only live animated comedy show Picture This! is back with a FREE show at The Virgil where the bar will be fully stalked and a taco truck will be parked outside for your dining pleasure. FREE
20. The San Fernando Chile Festival brings the heat with spicy food vendors. Guests will also enjoy a beer garden, live music, and art vendors. FREE
21. Enjoy a night of food, wine, and music during the 8th annual Taste of Italy presented by The Italian American Museum of Los Angeles, featuring 40+ of the region’s best Italian restaurants, 100+ world class wines and more.
22. The term “block party” takes on a whole new meaning when the Mad Decent Block Party returns to Los Angeles with a lineup that includes Diplo, Henrik the Artist, Kesha, Ookay, Snails, and Tropkillaz
23. The Echo Park Film Series, in partnership with Council member Mitch O’Farrell, is presenting a series of summer/fall movie nights at Echo Park Lake this week Carmen Jones will be screened. FREE
24. There’s a new foodie event in town! The EAT Show will feature 50+ restaurants from LA and the OC all under one roof at The Reef in Downtown this Saturday.
25. The 10th annual Los Angeles Chocolate Salon returns to the Pasadena Convention Center with some of the best chocolatiers and confectioners in the business. Guests can enjoy chocolate tastings, demonstrations, chef talks and author interviews.
26. Online radio station Dublab celebrates its 17th anniversary with one epic party featuring the DJs and artists played on the station throughout the year.
27. Celebrate LA’s love for oysters at the DTLA Oyster Festival at Grand Central Market this Saturday and Sunday. Admission is free, and specially ticketed oyster events are available in the evenings.
29. Santa Anita’s Oktoberfest fun will feature German beer, food, and music, all trackside. Guests can also partake in a variety of fun activities and competitions including stein holding, corn toss and a costume contest. Traditional German music will be provided by the Bavarian Wunderband. Be sure to check for discounted tickets before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar).
30. Head over to the 44th Annual Manhattan Beach Hometown Fair in the South Bay (Oct. 1-2) for some old fashioned fun with live music, fair food, arts & crafts, and a neighborly time. FREE
31. Wicked Lit is an immersive theatre experience featuring three plays adapted from classic horror literature. Premiers Oct. 1.
32. Over 40 breweries, wineries, and restaurants will take over Downtown Long Beach for the 4th Annual Promenade Beer & Wine Festival featuring unlimited pours and tasty bites.
33. The City of Artesia is putting on the 3rd International Street Fair and Diversity Festival on Oct. 1-2. Guests will enjoy cultural performances, live entertainment, International cuisine, a beer garden, shopping, arts and crafts, and a Kids Zone! FREE
34. The Car Corral & Picnic is coming to Paramount Ranch for a unique car show positioned as a meet-up for enthusiasts to celebrate the park’s racing history. Up to 80 vehicles will be let in for the day and each vehicle owner will be provided with a certificate of participation. Registration is free! FREE
35. The 8th annual Los Angeles Printers Fair celebrates the art of bookmaking through a unique showcase of more than 80 all at the International Printing Museum in Carson.
Sunday October 2nd, 2016
36. The 2016 EastSide Food Festival features some of the finest food and drink east of Western Avenue including vendors such as Little Beast, Pok Pok, Sticky Rice and Trois Familia. Guest will enjoy all-you-can-eat bites, DJ spun tunes, discussion panels, demos and educational Q&As. Get your tickets here.
37. On Oct. 2 the Los Angeles Times will present a screening of City of Gold at The Wiltern followed by a Q&A with Jonathan Gold along with a tasting party catered by local vendors. Discount tickets are available while supplies last. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
38. A free version of Rooftop Cinema Club is coming to Hollywood this Sunday. Partnering with Red Bull Media House, together they will host a global premiere party for the upcoming action-sports documentary film The Fourth Phase. FREE
39. Learn the Winter Olympics sport of curling! Beginner and pros are all welcome. The lesson will feature an excellent introduction to the basics, including sliding stones, sweeping, and game strategy. All equipment provided. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
40. The Big Draw LA: 7th Annual Make Your Mark in the Park invites guests to tap into their artistic side through a free day of drawing activities from animation to printmaking to drawing costumed models. FREE
41. Le Salon de Musiques presents a stage free chamber musical experience with champagne and high tea to follow at the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion this Sunday. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
42. Acclaimed Iranian-American harpsichordist Mahan Esfahani will perform in the Historic Ticketing Hall at Union Station on Sunday, October 2 from 3 to 5 p.m. FREE
43. The Great Rock and Roll Flea Market takes over The Regent Theater in DTLA on the first Sunday of every month with an impressive selection of vintage, music memorabilia, vinyl and much more.
44. Putting on your most agile drinking outfit cause Roxanne’s Lounge in Long Beach is hosting the Beer Olympics during Long Beach Oktoberfest. Expect flip cup, dunk tank, and beer pong!
45. Serial Killer Speed Dating is a mix of speed dating and murder mystery theater taking place at the Bearded Lady’s Mystic Museum. Guests will be given five minute dates to help determine if the other person is normal or a cold blood serial killer. Good luck 😉
46. Ranger Ernie Ybarra will lead a free intermediate 5-mile hike to Royce Canyon in Griffith Park this Sunday. FREE
47. Eagle Rock Brewery will celebrate the changing of the season this Sunday by hosting their own Oktoberfest full of awesome beers and tasty sausages.
48. Barnsdall Art Park Foundation is hosting its Wine & a Movie fundraising series at the Hollyhock House. This weekend they will host an evening of Fellini Satyricon with a late-summer Satyricon-style feast.
Want to get our to-do lists straight to your inbox every week? Sign up for our email program.
Have an upcoming event you’d like suggest for listing? Drop us a line at [email protected]