New art. Interactive installations. A holy blessing for Fido. These are the spoils I bring you for your Saturday in the City of Angels!
Below you’ll find our top three picks for today (April 16) in Los Angeles, followed by a bullet list of seven other quick ideas to consider. Hope you enjoy.
Things To Do For Saturday
Your (Un)natural Garden -> A new experience opens at Descanso Gardens today created by artist Adam Schwerner. Your (Un)Natural Garden offers colorful, interactive pop-up works and installations located inside the Sturt Haaga Gallery, Boddy House. Touching the art is definitely encouraged. Opens April 16 and runs through Jan. 8, 2023. Included with garden admission. More info here.
Blessing of the Animals -> The annual Blessing of the Animals on Olvera Street is back with an in-person for the first time since the pandemic struck. Archbishop Jose Gomez will be on hand to offer a blessing from 2 to 3 p.m., and entertainment runs from noon to 4 p.m. Free to attend. More info here.
New Exhibitions at Skirball -> Two new exhibitions are now open at the Skirball Cultural Center, both firmly rooted in the immigrant experience. “I’ll Have What She’s Having”: The Jewish Deli traces the Jewish immigrant experience in America through the lens of the delicatessen, while Talking Back to Power: Projects by Aram Han Sifuentes centers on stories of immigrant garment workers in the United States. You can find a photo preview of the new exhibitions here.
Seven More Things To Do in L.A. Today
- Want to get outside today? Consider the latest in my L.A. on Foot series, a walk in Culver City that takes you from the Ballona Creek through Downtown to the Hobbit Houses and back.
- There’s a free Earth Day Festival at Will Rogers State Park (though you will have to pay for parking).
- There are free Easter egg hunts and family-friendly activities happening in La Canada Flintridge, Downey, Gardena, and Fullerton.
- The Venice Art Walk Gallery (395 Santa Monica Place) is up and running, showcasing over 200 artworks as part of the benefit auction for Venice Family Clinic. Admission is free.
- The San Fernando Night Market brings together 25 storefronts and 70+ vendors for a new monthly event.
- North Hollywood cocktail bar Idle Hour welcomes a performance by Hells Belles Burlesque on the patio today beginning at 7:30 p.m. More info here.
- A new exhibition at the Santa Monica History Museum called Broadway to Freeway: Life and Times of a Vibrant Community examines the once flourishing community color, what happened to the neighborhood as a result of Interstate 10 construction during the 1960s.
Do you read the We Like L.A. newsletter? Every Monday and Thursday we send the best things to do in Los Angeles straight to your inbox! Sign-up here