As you probably already know we do a twice weekly listing of our favorite to-dos and happenings around Los Angeles (pushed out Monday AM and Thursday AM).
However, it occurs to me that sometimes event-seekers just want stuff that’s down-and-dirty, cheap-and-easy. With that in mind, here are 10 quick ideas for this weekend each costing less than $10 that might be good to keep on your radar.
Events are listed for this Friday, Saturday and Sunday in descending order from most to least expensive. Follow the links for more info!
For all prices listed we’ll generally note the true cost including any service fees, as sometimes is the case with our ticket-affiliate partner Goldstar.
1. [$10.40 including fees] SuperHero — Princess Academy: A Mini-Musical for Kids (ok this is cheating the $10 rule but this sounds fun for the kids! This is a one-hour mini-musical performed by the folks at the Creating Arts Company. Showings throughout the weekend.*
3. [FREE] Invasion: An immersive sci-fi photography experience at the HNYPT in Downtown Los Angeles on Saturday at 7:00pm.
4. [FREE] Check out the Leimert Park Village Book Fest on Saturday in Baldwin Hills from 10:00am to 6:00pm
5. [FREE] The Special Olympics World Games wraps up this weekend, but there are still plenty of inspiring moments left to be watched at all the scheduled events around the city. All competitions are free and open to the viewing public. Here is the complete schedule for reference.
6. [FREE] Sound in Focus. KCRW’s signature FREE summer series takes over the Annenberg Space For Photography with performances by De La Soul and Quantic. You must RSVP but that doesn’t hold your spot so arrive early. Doors open at 5:00pm with KCRW DJ’s spinning tunes.
7. [FREE] The Downtown Burbank Car Classic from 3:00pm to 9:00pm on Saturday.
8. [FREE] This past Monday night artist Hot Tea (and a few of his friends) created Migration, a guerrilla art installation made of yarn on top of a pedestrian bridge above PCH in Santa Monica (pictured above). The city is sure to take it down soon, so check it out while it lasts. As of 8:30pm last night, the installation was still in place.
9. [FREE] The Old Pasadena Film Festival concludes on Saturday with a screening of Barbarella (1968) in Central Park.
10. [FREE] Looking for a challenging hike? Ranger Ernie is leading a 6-mile journey to Mt. Bell on Sunday morning. Meet at the Griffith Park Ranger station at 7:30am to join.
*Discount tickets available only via Goldstar links provided.
If you want a more complete rundown, check Christina’s weekend roundup that was posted up yesterday morning or check out our discount events page for more savings.
And of course, make sure to sign-up for our email list so you’re always in the loop regarding happenings around the city.