A new rooftop music and film series is coming to Los Angeles, this one boasting excellent views of downtown. Skyline Sound + Cinema is a partnership among The Bloc, ALT 98.7 and Alamo Drafthouse Cinema, and it kicks off June 21 with a sing-along screening of The Greatest Showman.
The Bloc is the result of massive renovations to Macy’s Plaza and Broadway Plaza, which converted what Curbed LA referred to as one of the city’s ugliest buildings into a pedestrian- and transit-friendly, open-air plaza with retail, restaurants, and more. The Bloc will also contain Los Angeles’ first Alamo Drafthouse Cinema, though no official opening date has been announced.
In the meantime, the Austin-based theater will host a summer rooftop series on the Bloc’s massive roof featuring music curated by ALT 98.7 followed by a film. Each screening has room for 800 guests, according to a release.
The inaugural event will feature music from singer-songwriter Cary Brothers. Then, guests are invited to sing along with the 2017 musical drama The Greatest Showman, which stars Hugh Jackman in a loose retelling of circus entertainer P.T. Barnum’s life story.
Future events are planned for July 12, July 26, and August 9, but screening details have not been announced.
The Greatest Showman screening takes place on Thursday, June 21. Doors are at 6:30 p.m., music from the Cary Brothers is at 7:30 p.m., and the screening begins at 8:30 p.m. Food and drinks will be available until 9:30 p.m. via variety of vendors. Tickets are $25. 21+.
The Best Things to do in L.A., straight to your inbox! Sign Up For Our Email List And You Receive...
- Two emails a week, Monday AM and Thursday AM.
- Monday: The best of the week ahead. 30+ ideas.
- Thursday: What to do this weekend. 30+ ideas.
- Occasional emails with special offers and messages from promotional parters.
- Optional emails for daily to-dos, travel tips, food recommendations, and deals.Basically, just think of us as your friend making some fun suggestions for what you might like to check out this day or week or month in L.A. Sign-up in the form below to join over 66,000 Angelenos who already subscribe!