You know what’s handy?
Waking up in the morning, firing up your phone/computer and being able to scan a super quick (but curated) rundown of the best of what lies ahead. So here it is, our list of fun things to do in Los Angeles for today, Saturday, May 12, 2018.
May it lead you to adventure!
[IMPORTANT: Want our latest ‘things to do’ rundowns sent straight to your email inbox? Sign-up for our newsletter program]
Keep in mind for some of the ticketing options we utilize affiliate links and receive a commission if you purchase through our links (affiliates noted in parenthesis).
1. [10 a.m.] RuPaul’s DragCon is three days of art, pop culture and all things drag. Hosted at the Los Angeles Convention Center, visitors can check out vendors, panel discussions, screenings, photo ops with drag stars, lip sync contests, make-up and styling workshops for both men and women.
2. [10 a.m.] Echo Park Craft Fair’s Spring Edition at Mack Sennett Studios (May 11-13) features over 120 artists with various ceramic, jewelry, clothing, woodworking and textile design booths.
3. [10 a.m.] Grand Central Market Cookbook Live! is a daylong foodie party with cooking demos, tastings and workshops inspired by the recipes from the food hall’s cookbook. Workshops are free but you have to register to reserve a spot.
4. [11 a.m.] East LA Comicbook, Art and Pop-Culture Expo is a free event featuring collectibles, comic creators, cosplay, and more taking place at El Gallo Plaza. FREE
5. [noon] BoldPas: An Art Takeover of Old Pasadena returns on Saturday for a day of bold public art, installations, and activities. Expect 30+ Art Stops, live painters, an activity hub, and maps available for self-guided tours. FREE
6. [noon] Smorgasburg Fried Chicken Day will take place at Santa Anita Park. Chomp on chicken from the likes of Bahn Oui (fried chicken sandwiches), Baohaus (fried chicken bao buns), Bolo (fried chicken on a pineapple bun), Hot Star (Taiwanese street food-style large fried chicken) and more.
7. [noon] KROQ Weenie Roast comes to the Stub Hub Center in Carson.
8. [noon] The Mid City Arts and Music Festival returns for a day of live art, food trucks, music and kid friendly fun. Warren G will perform with the G Funk All Stars and Delicious Vinyl Island Sound System will also provide tunes. FREE
6. [5 p.m.] Immerse yourself in a day (or two!) of all things Jurassic Park during Universal Studios’ 25th anniversary celebration of the dinosaur blockbuster on May 11-12. Enjoy special exhibits, interactive photo ops, a fan costume show, a screening of the film and more.
10. [7:30 p.m.] Stop by Pop-Up Magazine’s Spring Edition at The Theatre at Ace Hotel for a night of jaw-dropping, scandalous, funny and sometimes endearing stories during this unique storytelling experience.
DEAL OF THE DAY: $32.50 tix to see Paul Simon at the Hollywood Bowl (via Goldstar)
Want more ideas for upcoming things to do in L.A.? Check out our Los Angeles events calendar.