Every week in Los Angeles there are tons of great things to do (even before the weekend gets started) that we think you ought to have on your radar. With that in mind, we put together a list every Monday morning to keep you in the know about what’s happening in the city you love (or maybe just like).
This week, from Monday, Nov. 14 to Friday, Nov. 18, features AFI Fest, Techweek LA, Snow Day LA, LA Autoshow, LA Zoo Lights and LOTS more.
Remember you can always go to our L.A. events calendar page to get an updated rundown of what’s happening around the city.
Hope you find the rundown useful and, as always, enjoy your week!
[IMPORTANT: Want our latest ‘things to do’ rundown sent straight to your email inbox? Sign-up for our newsletter program.]
Keep in mind that while we retain complete editorial control of our content, for some of the ticketing options provided we utilize affiliate links and receive a commission if you purchase through our links.
Monday November 14th, 2016
1. The annual AFI FEST returns to Hollywood for 2016 with an eight-day run featuring over 120 films, including three world premieres and four additional highly anticipated films. Happening Nov. 10 through 17.
2. Techweek LA kicks of in Los Angeles this Monday and runs through Nov. 18 with events, conferences, and panels at locations throughout Los Angeles.
3. Largest outdoor ice skating rink returns to Pershing Square for its 19th winter run. The 7,200 square-foot Holiday Ice Rink® Pershing Square will be open every day of the holiday season through Jan. 16.
4. Shakespeare in the Shed: The Macbeth Variety Hour at Angel City Brewery. FREE
5. Learning to Surf: Navigating the Broken Pieces with Mindfulness at the Museum of Broken Relationships.
6. The Alchemist’s Lab is an escape room experience putting you right in the shoes of a junior detective at Scotland Yard in the 19th century. Do you have what it takes to uncover the devious plans of the alchemist? Happening all week. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
7. The Mermaid Comedy Hour celebrates its one year anniversary this Monday at iO West with plenty of raffles, goodie bags, drink specials, a sweet prize for “Best Mermaid” costume, and one fierce lineup.
8. ICE at Santa Monica is back! Get into the winter spirit by going ice skating, sip on hot chocolate and listening to festive tunes. Happening now till Jan. 16, 2017.
9. Runway Playa Vista presents Music Mondays a free weekly concert and music series. This week they will host local indie bands. FREE
Tuesday November 15th, 2016
10. Come for the wine and stay for the music during Chamber Music Night + Wine Tasting at the Disney Concert Hall. The LA Phil perform an intimate concert featuring selections of Bartók and Shostakovich. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
11. Glee musical director Brad Ellis breaths life into favorite Broadway show tunes at the Rockwell: Table & Stage in Los Feliz. A talented group of singers will take the stage performing hits from classic musicals, as well as independent productions. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
12. Escape Room LA: The Detective has you inside a 1940’s film noir set up where you have to solve a slew of mysteries in order to escape. DISCOUNTED via Goldstar.
13. Darren Criss stars in Hedwig and the Angry Inch at the Pantages Theatre in Hollywood. John Cameron Mitchells groundbreaking rock musical is revived by Criss, Tony Award Winner Lena Hall and Tony Award wining Director Michael Mayer. Check for discounted tickets all week before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
14. Get a taste of Old Hollywood and sip on classic cocktails with the Historic Hollywood: Stars & Bars Gang as they recall Hollywood tales and history. Happening Tuesday and Thursday. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
15. Play Indiana Jones for a day with Escape Room LA: The Cavern. Find clues and solve puzzles to get your hands on a lost civilization’s ancient treasures hundreds of feet below Downtown Los Angeles! DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
16. Food truck night at the California Heritage Museum features a big selection of tasty food trucks (5:30 p.m. – 9:30 p.m.) FREE
17. Free admission days this Tuesday for: Los Angeles County Arboretum, South Coast Botanic Garden and Descanso Gardens
Wednesday November 16th, 2016
18. The City of Manhattan Beach invites you to kick off the holiday season with them for a night of eating, drinking, and shopping and of course, lots of pretty lights at the annual Manhattan Beach Holiday Open House and Pier Lighting. FREE
19. The Royal Tenenbaums screens at FIGat7th for free this Wednesday inside the TASTE Food Hall. FREE
20. Enjoy complementary classes, seminars and tastings of weekly featured spirits every Wednesday during Liquid Intelligence at The Mixing Room. This weeks theme is Sam Adams Winter Beers & Cookie Pairings. FREE
21. L.A. Louver Gallery will debut “ROLL CALL,” a show featuring 11 home-grown artists, some of which are the most influential graffiti writers and letterists in Los Angeles.
22. Escape Room LA presents The Theatre. Guests are trapped inside an old haunted theater, in order to get free they’ll have to ban together to help free a ghost, fail to do so and risk being trapped forever inside the haunt. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
23. The NASA’s Pavilion sound experience is now of view at The Huntington Library. A “soundscape” experience that represents the movement of the International Space Station and 19 Earth Science satellites the shell like sculpture emits sounds each interpreting one of the satellites’ missions. Open to the public till Feb. 27, 2017.
Thursday November 17th, 2016
24. Snow Los Angeles kicks off this Thursday with L.A.’s first-ever snow tubing park which also includes nine acres of winter wonderland featuring an hourly blizzard and a Giant Snowman Forest Light Show.
25. Golden Road is mad for Micheladas this Thursday when Fernando Lopez, of Guelaguetza, launches his new beer-cocktail mix with a beach themed party at the brewery. FREE
26. Check out Airbnb’s Open LA Festival of Hosting Nov. 17-19 in Downtown LA, and hear talks by hospitality experts, visionaries, and Airbnb leaders.
27. Comedian Maria Bamford does stand-up at The Novo in DTLA. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
28. Nikki Glaser and some very special guest will be doing stand-up at L.A.’s legendary Comedy Store on the Sunset Strip this Thursday. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
29. The 12th edition of Cinema Italian Style (Nov. 17-22) showcases some of the most acclaimed Italian movies of the year in a film festival environment.
30. The Virus: An Immersive Escape Room Experience happening Thursday and Friday. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
31. Free admission days this Thursday for: MOCA Grand & MOCA Geffen, Skirball Cultural Center, Japanese American National Museum, Long Beach Museum of Art and Pasadena Museum of California Art.
Friday November 18th, 2016
32. LA Zoo Lights is back starting this Friday! Now in its third year, the after-hours event showcases animal-themed LEDs, lasers, 3D projections, and animated displays throughout the zoo.
33. The LA Auto Show is every car enthusiasts dream with close to a thousand cars on display. From Nov. 16 to 27 experience various car exhibits, model debuts and more at the LA Convention Center.
34. Every Friday of November, Greenbar Distillery in Downtown Los Angeles will host cocktail classes featuring seasonal, holiday and prohibition era drinks. This weeks theme is Autumn Produce Cocktails.
35. The Groundlings presents Hook-Up App a new sketch comedy show that spotlights dating in the digital age. Happening Friday and Saturday. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
36. The California Market Center is hosting a holiday charity sample sale and dog adoption fair featuring top brands, food, a free photo booth and more.
37. On Fridays Royce’s Arcade Warehouse hosts ‘Threeplay Fridays’ from 4 to 7 p.m. For $3 you get three hours of unlimited play of games such as Donkey Kong, Street Fighter 2, Ms. Pac-Man, Galaga and many more.
38. The 8th Annual Creative Talent Network (CTN) Animation eXpo (Nov. 18-20) opens its doors to the public for the very first time. Expect top animators, opportunities to purchase unique art work and more.
39. The Latin American Film and Art Festival takes place at the Armer Theater at California State University Northridge Nov. 18 through 21.
40. The Norton Simon Museum presents a series of French Film Noirs from the 1950s and ‘60s. This week they will screen Elevator to the Gallows (1958). Doors open at 5 p.m. Films are free with admission. All films are screened with English subtitles.
Want to get our to-do lists straight to your inbox every week? Sign up for our email program.
Have an upcoming event you’d like suggest for listing? Drop us a line at [email protected].