Every week in Los Angeles there are tons of great things to do (even before the weekend gets started) that we think you ought to have on your radar. With that in mind, we put together a list every Monday morning to keep you in the know about what’s happening in the city you love (or maybe just like).
This week, from Monday, December 18 to Friday, December 22, features life-size gingerbread houses, a holiday concerts by LA Master Chorale, Holiday Edition of Rooftop Cinema Club, Winter Fest OC, and MUCH more.
Remember you can always go to our L.A. events calendar page to get an updated rundown of what’s happening around the city.
Hope you find the rundown useful and, as always, enjoy your week!
[IMPORTANT: Want our latest ‘things to do’ rundown sent straight to your email inbox? Sign-up for our newsletter program]
Keep in mind that while we retain complete editorial control of our content, for some of the ticketing options provided we utilize affiliate links and receive a commission if you purchase through our links.
Monday December 18th, 2017
1. Looking to literally step into the Christmas spirit? Find out where you can walk into life-size gingerbread houses in and around Los Angeles.
2. 37th Annual Messiah Sing-Along by the LA Master Chorale at the Walt Disney Concert Hall. Check for discount tickets for this weeks performances while supplies last. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
3. CHILL Adventure Park returns to the Queen Mary in Long Beach from December 13 through January 7. Come experience ice bumper cars, ice skating, an Alpine Zip Line and more chill themed activities. Check for discounted tickets before making your purchase. Happening all week. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
4. The Hammer Museum in Westwood is once again home to The Contenders, the Museum of Modern Art’s acclaimed series of ten influential, innovative films from the past 12 months. The series concludes this week with Detroit and Q&A with Kathryn Bigelow on Monday and a screening of Phantom Thread on Tuesday.
5. The Rink in Downtown Burbank returns with a festive ice-skating event from December 14 through January 7. Check for discount tickets while supplies last. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
6. Long Beach seafood concept Roe will host a week long culinary Feast of the Seven (Sustainable) Fishes from December 17-24. Prepared by Chef Arthur Gonzalez, the event will focus on one sustainably sourced seafood dish per night, served alongside a dish “Catch Card” detailing the fish species, catch location or fish origin, and the names of both the fisherman and the boat.
7. Spamilton a parody that celebrates and roasts the Broadway musical will make its West Coast premiere at the Kirk Douglas Theatre in Culver City. Happening throughout the week. Happening throughout the week. Check for discounted tickets before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
Tuesday December 19th, 2017
8. Rooftop Cinema Club Ultimate Holiday Movie Series will host a month-long schedule of Christmas inspired movie screenings from December 1-23. The series continues this Tuesday with a screening of The Holiday.
9. Get ready for another season of ice-skating in Downtown Los Angeles when the Bai Holiday Ice Rink returns to Pershing Square from November 16 through January 15, 2018. Check for discounted tickets before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
10. One of L.A.’s most magical holiday traditions, LA Zoo Lights returns November 17 through January 7 with thousands upon thousands of LED lights glowing up the zoo. Check for discounted tickets before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
11. 260LA will host a Stila Sample Sale at their Beverly Hills location from December 19-23. Score premium deals on a full spectrum of the makeup brands products.
12. Star Wars: The Last Jedi will screen at the El Capitan Theatre in Hollywood starting this Friday. Experience an intergalactic Laser Lightsaber Show before the movie and check out real costumes from the film up close. Happening all week. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
13. Free admission at: Los Angeles County Arboretum, South Coast Botanic Garden and Descanso Gardens.
Wednesday December 20th, 2017
14. L.A.’s only live animated comedy show Picture This! is back with a live audience taping at Victory Studios this Wednesday. FREE
15. The Museum of Failure has landed in Los Angeles at A+D Architecture and Design Museum in the Arts District. Exhibits include some of recent history’s biggest commercial flops, including Donald Trump’s board game, the Harley-Davidson Perfume, the Apple Newton, the Betamax, Google Glass, and more. Check for discount tickets while supplies. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
16. The Grand Chapiteau at Dodger Stadium will be home to Cirque du Soleil’s new big-top show LUZIA. Inspired by the rich culture Mexico, the dazzling acrobatic performance will be heightened by brassy Mexican and Latin American sounds. Happening all week. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
17. Every first and third Wednesday of the month, BEAR CITY brings free comedy and free pizza to Que Sera in Long Beach. FREE
18. Sherman Oaks resident Mike Ziemkowski’s elaborate Christmas themed animatronic characters will return once again with Lights on Display a dazzling light show with a playlist of holiday tunes spun by the beloved DJ Jingles. The show runs every night until January 1, 2018. FREE
Thursday December 21st, 2017
19. Winter Fest Returns to OC Fairgrounds (Dec. 21 to Jan. 7) will offer an all-new festival of lights, snow summit, winter bounce houses, outdoor ice skating, ice tubing, snowfall and the man of the season, Santa Claus. Check for discount tickets before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
20. The JANKY Christmas Show returns for the seventh year in a row with host John C. Reilly and a band of misfit characters, a live band called the “The Mistletone’s” and Jewish Jello Shots for the audience.
21. The Sorting Room musical series concludes with a performance by Emmy Winner and Tony Nominee Liz Callaway as she brings her critically acclaimed holiday show Celebrate!
22. Rockwell: Table & Stage present the unauthorized musical parody of John Hughes classic Home Alone. Happening Thursday through the weekend. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
23. Thursday is game Night at Grand Central Market. FREE
24. Free admission at: Japanese American National Museum (from 5 to 8 p.m.), MOCA Grand & MOCA Geffen (from 5 to 8 p.m.), Skirball and Long Beach Museum of Art (3 to 8 p.m.) FREE
Friday December 22nd, 2017
25. California Market Center, in the heart of Downtown Los Angeles’ Garment District, opens to the pubic for a big sample sale this Friday (just in time for holiday shopping!).
26. Union Station concludes its holiday season of Cocoa Concert with La Picante’s “A Very Salsa Christmas” in the historic south patio this Friday. FREE
27. There’s an ALL NIGHT Holiday Party happening at The Reserve in DTLA this Friday with a tribute room dedicated to Mariah Carey and the main room spinning old school hip hop and RnB.
28. Happy Place brings a bright and immersive pop-up experience to the Arts District starting today. Capture perfect Instagram moments and enjoy sweet treats as you journey through one-of-a-kind installations designed to make you smile. Runs on select dates through January 7, 2018. Check for discounted tickets before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
29. It’s hard not to make fun of the holidays, laugh about the “most wonderful time of the year” when the Groundlings troupe returns with their beloved Groundlings Holiday Show. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
30. Head to the New Beverly for a Christmas-themed double feature this Friday. They’ll be screening It’s A Wonderful Life and A Christmas Story in 35mm. Happening Friday and Saturday.
31. The Holiday Light Festival Train Ride at Griffith Park is a festive one mile ride on the tracks with tens of thousands of lights to get you in the Holiday spirit. Running now through December 23 and then again from December 26 to December 30.
32. Get into the winter spirit when ICE at Santa Monica returns with a 8,000 square foot ice skating rink. Running November 1, 2017 through January 5, 2018.
33. See the merriest Christmas light show in the city at City Blessing Church in Walnut during Lights on Miracle Hill: 12 Days of Christmas every Friday, Saturday, and Sunday from December 1-24.
34. Free admission at: Long Beach Museum of Art and Museum of Latin American Art (5 to 9 p.m.)
Want to get our to-do lists straight to your inbox every week? Sign up for our email program.
Have an upcoming event you’d like suggest for listing? Drop us a line at [email protected]