Every week in Los Angeles there are tons of great things to do (even before the weekend gets started) that we think you ought to have on your radar. With that in mind, we put together a list every Monday morning to keep you in the know about what’s happening in the city you love (or maybe just like).
This week, from Monday, December 4 to Friday, December 8, features a History of Chocolate at LA Plaza De Culturas y Artes, the Culver City Tree Lighting Celebration, The Sorting Room at The Wallis, The Contenders film screening series, a Groundlings Holiday Show and MUCH more.
Remember you can always go to our L.A. events calendar page to get an updated rundown of what’s happening around the city.
Hope you find the rundown useful and, as always, enjoy your week!
[IMPORTANT: Want our latest ‘things to do’ rundown sent straight to your email inbox? Sign-up for our newsletter program]
Keep in mind that while we retain complete editorial control of our content, for some of the ticketing options provided we utilize affiliate links and receive a commission if you purchase through our links.
Monday December 4th, 2017
1. The Hammer Museum in Westwood is once again home to The Contenders, the Museum of Modern Art’s acclaimed series of ten influential, innovative films from the past 12 months. The series kicks off with Mudbound, and a Q&A with Dee Rees, Mary J. Blige, Jason Mitchell, and Garrett Hedlund.
2. Sherman Oaks resident Mike Ziemkowski’s elaborate Christmas themed animatronic characters will return once again with Lights on Display a dazzling light show with a playlist of holiday tunes spun by the beloved DJ Jingles. The show runs every night until January 1, 2018. FREE
3. Join Boomtown Brewery for Monday Movie Nights, a new monthly movie screening in their private event space set up with comfy couches, craft beers, popcorn and an option to order from Purgatory Pizza. This week they will screen Gremlins. FREE
4. The L.A. Auto Show is back for another round of test drives, new car showcases and ‘The Garage” aftermarket hall from December 1-10.
5. See a news legend during An Evening with Dan Rather at L!ve Talks Los Angeles happening at The Novo Microsoft in DTLA. The 86 year old Rather will touch on his new book, What Unites Us: Reflections on Patriotism and discuss his views on the current political landscape.
6. The Holiday Light Festival Train Ride at Griffith Park is a festive one mile ride on the tracks with tens of thousands of lights to get you in the Holiday spirit. Running now through December 23 and then again from December 26 to December 30.
7. Get into the winter spirit when ICE at Santa Monica returns with a 8,000 square foot ice skating rink. Running November 1, 2017 through January 5, 2018.
Tuesday December 5th, 2017
8. Rooftop Cinema Club Ultimate Holiday Movie Series will host a month-long schedule of Christmas inspired movie screenings from December 1-23. The series continues this Tuesday with a screening of It’s a Wonderful Life.
9. Broadway Sings Disney is a powerhouse concert developed from the Walt Disney catalog’s 80-plus years of magical music. From Steamboat Willie, to Frozen’s “Let It Go,” happening at the Rockwell Table & Stage. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
10. One of L.A.’s most magical holiday traditions, LA Zoo Lights returns November 17 through January 7 with thousands upon thousands of LED lights glowing up the zoo. Check for discounted tickets before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
11. Spamilton a parody that celebrates and roasts the Broadway musical will make its West Coast premiere at the Kirk Douglas Theatre in Culver City. Happening throughout the week. Check for discounted tickets before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
12. Enchanted: Forest of Light is in full swing at Descanso Gardens offering guests a colorful one-mile path walk through 10 distinct light displays at unique points within the garden including the Oak Grove and the Japanese Garden. The event runs until January 6, 2018. Check for discount tickets while supplies. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
13. Something Rotten!, a hilarious new musical comedy tells the story of brothers playwrights overshadowed by the great Will Shakespeare. Follow them as they try to steal the spotlight and end up unexpectedly end up writing the world’s very first musical. The show runs November 21 through December 30. Check for discount tickets while supplies last. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
14. See the twinkling lights taking over our city during the Holiday Lights tour of Downtown Los Angeles. The tour is two hours long and starts at Union Station in the evening and ends at Pershing Square. Happening throughout the week.
15. Free admission at: Kidspace Children’s Museum (from 4 to 8 p.m.), Natural History Museum and Page Museum at La Brea Tarpits. FREE
Wednesday December 6th, 2017
16. The Museum of Failure is coming to Los Angeles starting this Saturday at A+D Architecture and Design Museum in the Arts District. Exhibits will include some of recent history’s biggest commercial flops, including Donald Trump’s board game, the Harley-Davidson Perfume, the Apple Newton, the Betamax, Google Glass, and more.
17. There’s a DIY Holiday Snow Globe Workshop happening at Angel City Brewery this Wednesday. Make festive non-toxic mason jar globes for your home or as a gift. A donation of $20 is suggested and includes a pint of beer.
18. Get ready for another season of ice-skating in Downtown Los Angeles when the Bai Holiday Ice Rink returns to Pershing Square from November 16 through January 15, 2018. Check for discounted tickets before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
19. Every first and third Wednesday of the month, BEAR CITY brings free comedy and free pizza to Que Sera in Long Beach. FREE
20. Happy Place brings a bright and immersive pop-up experience to the Arts District starting today. Capture perfect Instagram moments and enjoy sweet treats as you journey through one-of-a-kind installations designed to make you smile. Runs on select dates through January 7, 2018.
Thursday December 7th, 2017
21. Celebrate the holidays during Plactica y Pruebas: The History of Chocolate at LA Plaza De Culturas y Artes. Trace the history chocolate while enjoying authentic Aztec hot chocolate and champurrado.
22. Refinery29 presents 29Rooms for two weekends (December 7 – 10 & December 14 – 17) will host a festival in Downtown L.A. focused on style, culture, and technology.
23. Enjoy the world premiere of a new version of George Balanchine’s The Nutcracker at Dorothy Chandler Pavilion from December 7-10. Check for discounted tickets on select dates before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
24. The Sorting Room kicks off its winter session this Thursday with a performance by Tony Award winning composer Jason Robert Brown. The series runs for two weeks (through December 21) and includes special happy hour drink deals beforehand, plus an eclectic mix of headliners including presenting poets, composers, jazz singers, and cabaret singers.
25. Downtown Culver’s annual Tree Lighting Celebration returns this Thursday with live performances and a visit from the man himself, Santa Claus.
26. Rockwell: Table & Stage present the unauthorized musical parody of John Hughes classic Home Alone. Happening Thursday through the weekend. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
27. The Los Angeles Shorts Festival will showcase seven films from five countries at LA LIVE Regal Cinemas. FREE
28. There’s a free mindful awareness meditation going on at the Hammer. Participants are welcome to stay for the entire 30-minute session or leave when they choose. FREE
29. Free admission at: Japanese American National Museum (from 5 to 8 p.m.), MOCA Grand & MOCA Geffen (from 5 to 8 p.m.), Skirball and Long Beach Museum of Art (3 to 8 p.m.) FREE
Friday December 8th, 2017
30. California Market Center is hosting Fashion with a Cause, charity sample sale this Friday featuring 20 plus vendors and sips and bites from local L.A. vendor pop-ups. The event will benefit the Vanderpump Dog Foundation.
31. It’s hard not to make fun of the holidays, laugh about the “most wonderful time of the year” when the Groundlings troupe returns with their beloved Groundlings Holiday Show. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
32. Score amazing designer brands available for as much as 80% off at Gilt Sample Sale on December 8- 9. Taking place at Siren Studios, shopper will enjoy cocktails, snacks, on demand alterations and styling services. Check for discounted tickets before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
33. See the merriest Christmas light show in the city at City Blessing Church in Walnut during Lights on Miracle Hill: 12 Days of Christmas every Friday, Saturday, and Sunday from December 1-24.
34. Take a Downtown Los Angeles foodie walking tour and savor what the bustling neighborhood has to offer. The tour is three hours long, participants will stop at six popular spots to eat and the tour guide will take folks through the history of DTLA. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
35. The USC Pacific Asia Museum in Pasadena is reopening to the public this Friday. To celebrate the museum will offer free admission from December 8-17. Among the exhibitions on view will be Winds from Fusang: Mexico and China in the Twentieth Century, which showcases the connection between the creative communities of Mexico and China in the last century, and is presented as part of Pacific Standard Time: LA/LA. FREE
Want to get our to-do lists straight to your inbox every week? Sign up for our email program.
Have an upcoming event you’d like suggest for listing? Drop us a line at [email protected]