Every week in Los Angeles there are tons of great things to do (even before the weekend gets started) that we think you ought to have on your radar. With that in mind, we put together a list every Monday morning to keep you in the know about what’s happening in the city you love (or maybe just like).
This week, from Monday, February 19 to Friday, February 23, features free admission at LACMA for President’s Day, a VR experience at the Ace Hotel, The Urban Chuck Wagon: 100 Years of Food Truck Fare, Go Fact Yourself, 4th Fridays on 4th Street and MUCH more.
Remember you can always go to our L.A. events calendar page to get an updated rundown of what’s happening around the city.
Hope you find the rundown useful and, as always, enjoy your week!
[IMPORTANT: Want our latest ‘things to do’ rundown sent straight to your email inbox? Sign-up for our newsletter program]
Keep in mind that while we retain complete editorial control of our content, for some of the ticketing options provided we utilize affiliate links and receive a commission if you purchase through our links.
Monday February 19th, 2018
1.The world’s first premium cinematic VR chair, Voyager will screen three critically acclaimed short films at the Ace Hotel Downtown Los Angeles from February 19-25. Check for discounted tickets before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
2. Annual President’s Day Celebration at The Ronald Reagan Presidential Foundation will feature crafts, musical entertainment, storytelling and presidential look-alikes.
3. Learn the Olympic sport of curling during an open house for curling at the Pasadena Ice Skating Center.
4. Celebrate this holiday at the President’s Day Penny Carnival happening in Santa Fe Springs. Folks can enjoy penny games, crafts, food and more.
5. Palm Springs Modernism Week returns February 15-25 to celebrate all things midcentury modern including architecture, art, interior landscape design and vintage culture.
6. Hot Tub With Kurt And Kristen at The Virgil is one of the most popular weekly variety shows happening on a Monday in Los Angeles.
7. The Pan African Film Festival (PAFF) returns to Los Angeles February 8-19. Now in its 26th year, the 12-day festival will showcase over 100 new films and the talented artists who created them.
Tuesday February 20th, 2018
9. Down some tacos, drink some locally brewed beers and test your trivia skills this Tuesday during Tacos & Trivia night at Angel City Brewery in DTLA.
10. This Tuesday, two UCB shows join forces and combine into one. Catharsis: Dramatic Improv and Copycat will merge to form CopyCatharsis. For one night only see a dramatic improv set and a funny improv set re-tell the same stories through their eyes.
Wednesday February 21st, 2018
12. The Super Serious Show is a comedy event produced by CleftClips featuring both established and up-and-coming talent performing an array of stand-up, sketch and musical comedy. Happening at The Virgil.
13. FLIX at FIG will screen Selma at FIGat7th in DTLA. The free movie screenings happen every third Wednesday of the month. A live DJ and happy hour kicks off the night at 6 p.m. and the film begins at 7 p.m. FREE
14. Celebrate the Year of the Dog with a free performance by China’s Sichuan opera featuring supernatural characters and stories from the spirit realm at The Hammer. FREE
15. Celebrate Black History Month at The Paley Center for Media as they host a month long event with interactive exhibit, family activities, panels and screenings highlighting historic television moments. FREE
16. Every first and third Wednesday of the month, BEAR CITY brings free comedy and free pizza to Que Sera in Long Beach. FREE
17. There’s a party for Mikael B. mural completion at Art Share LA this Wednesday.
18. Take an afternoon yoga class in beautiful Grand Park. The 45 minute workout is complimentary to the public every. After yoga, checkout the many food trucks lining the park and grab lunch al fresco style.
19. Come to the Frogtown Brewery this Wednesday for Beer, Bingo, & Trivia Night.
Thursday February 22nd, 2018
20. From Selma to Today: Lessons from Leaders of the Civil Rights Movement is a panel discussion with four fascinating thought leaders taking place at The Skirball this Thursday. Check for discounted tickets before making your purchase . DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
21. Laemmle NoHo 7 and Eat|See|Hear return with Throwback Thursdays with a special theme titled “Highly Curated” a series of films with a 420 theme. This week they’ll screen Half Baked. (DISCOUNTED) via Goldstar
22. QuiltCon 2018 takes over the Pasadena Convention Center from February 22-25 to see over 550 modern quilts on display, shop from specialty vendors and attend workshops and lectures led by experts.
23. Free admission at: Japanese American National Museum (from 5 to 8 p.m.), MOCA Grand & MOCA Geffen (from 5 to 8 p.m.), Skirball Cultural Center (noon to 5 p.m.) and Long Beach Museum of Art (3 to 8 p.m.)
Friday February 23rd, 2018
24. The Urban Chuck Wagon: 100 Years of Food Truck Fare is a new tasting event coming to The Autry this Friday. Come sample dishes representing a century of food trucks and discover the historic flavors of items such as tamales and oyster cocktails, then experience the modern versions of food cart cuisine from contemporary chefs.
25. Greenbar Distillery will open up their facility for a tour of their organic distillery. The tour is one hour long and guests will have a chance to learn about the process of spirit making and taste some of the Greenbar portfolio.
26. Visit Angel City Brewery for a free live taping of the popular podcast Go Fact Yourself quizzes comedians, actors and musicians about topics they claim expertise in. If they slip up, real experts on hand share the actual facts.
27. Caltech Astronomy presents a free stargazing and panel event focused on The Milky Way’s crash course with Andromeda. No reservations are needed, the lecture is 30 minutes long and stargazing lasts 90 minutes. FREE
28. 4th Fridays on 4th Street activates the “Retro Road” business district in Long Beach on the fourth Friday of every month from 6 to 9 p.m. through extended hours, dining specials, discounted merchandise, pop up shops, art shows, live music, double decker bus rides and more.
Want to get our to-do lists straight to your inbox every week? Sign up for our email program.
Have an upcoming event you’d like suggest for listing? Drop us a line at firstname.lastname@example.org