Every week in Los Angeles there are tons of great things to do (even before the weekend gets started) that we think you ought to have on your radar. With that in mind, we put together a list every Monday morning to keep you in the know about what’s happening in the city you love (or maybe just like).
This week, from Monday, February 5 to Friday, February 9, features Pop-Up Magazine, Chamber Music & Wine Tasting at Walt Disney Concert Hall, Pan African Film Festival, Downtown Art Walk, Open Shabbat at the Skirball and MUCH more.
Remember you can always go to our L.A. events calendar page to get an updated rundown of what’s happening around the city.
Hope you find the rundown useful and, as always, enjoy your week!
[IMPORTANT: Want our latest ‘things to do’ rundown sent straight to your email inbox? Sign-up for our newsletter program]
Keep in mind that while we retain complete editorial control of our content, for some of the ticketing options provided we utilize affiliate links and receive a commission if you purchase through our links.
Monday February 5th, 2018
1. Pop-Up Magazine’s “Winter Issue” at the Theatre at Ace Hotel is a live magazine-style variety show for comedic genius and unique storytelling.
2. Join Boomtown Brewery for Monday Movie Nights, a new monthly movie screening in their private event space set up with comfy couches, craft beers, popcorn and an option to order from Purgatory Pizza. This week they will screen Empire Strikes Back. FREE
4. Hot Tub With Kurt And Kristen at The Virgil is one of the most popular weekly variety shows happening on a Monday in Los Angeles.
5. In celebration of the Metro Red Line’s 25th birthday this year, they’ve partnered with filmmaker Hervé Cohen to present “Life Underground,” an immersive art media installation and interactive web documentary on view at Los Angeles Union Station from January 30 to February 5. FREE
6. The Business LA is a free comedy show at Little Joy featuring some of the best local comics in town. FREE
Tuesday February 6th, 2018
7. The Walt Disney Concert Hall will host Chamber Music & Wine Tasting. This Tuesday The LA Philharmonic will perform pieces from Czech. (DISCOUNTED) via Goldstar
8. Comedian George Lopez will take the stage of the Laugh Factory this Tuesday. (DISCOUNTED) via Goldstar
9. Keeping up with your health goals? Take a Desserts for Your Sweetheart & Your Heart class at BLVD Kitchen in Sherman Oaks. You’ll learn to make German Chocolate cake, brownies, truffles, Cherry Cobbler and more all without using sugar, gluten and dairy.
10. Down some tacos, drink some locally brewed beers and test your trivia skills this Tuesday during Tacos & Trivia night at Angel City Brewery in DTLA.
Wednesday February 7th, 2018
12. The Hammer Museum will host a discussion about the future of clean energy in Los Angeles. FREE
13. Broadway Sings Disney is a powerhouse concert developed from the Walt Disney catalog’s 80-plus years of magical music. From Steamboat Willie, to Frozen’s “Let It Go,” happening at the Rockwell Table & Stage. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
14. Take an afternoon yoga class in beautiful Grand Park. The 45 minute workout is complimentary to the public every. After yoga, checkout the many food trucks lining the park and grab lunch al fresco style.
15. Every first and third Wednesday of the month, BEAR CITY brings free comedy and free pizza to Que Sera in Long Beach. FREE
Thursday February 8th, 2018
16. The Pan African Film Festival (PAFF) returns to Los Angeles February 8-19. Now in its 26th year, the 12-day festival will showcase over 100 new films and the talented artists who created them.
17. Downtown Art Walk brings art enthusiasts and locals together every second Thursday of each month to take part in gallery tours, shop the art mart and sample nearby food trucks, and experience the overall flavor of the downtown Los Angeles Historic Core.
18. There’s a one-man, family-friendly adaptation of Charles Dickens Great Expectations at The Wallis in Beverly Hills. Performances will run February 8 through 11. Check for discounted tickets before making your purchase. (DISCOUNTED) via Goldstar
19. L.A. native Lesley Telléz will head to LA Plaza de Cultura y Artes to share her insights and dishes from her cookbook, Eat Mexico: Recipes from Mexico City’s Streets, Markets and Fondas this Thursday.
20. There’s a free mindful awareness meditation going on at the Hammer. Participants are welcome to stay for the entire 30-minute session or leave when they choose. FREE
21. Laemmle NoHo 7 and Eat|See|Hear return with Throwback Thursdays. This week they’ll screen The Big Lebowski. (DISCOUNTED) via Goldstar
22. Equality California, the nation’s largest statewide LGBTQ civil rights organization will join forces with the LA Opera for Night OUT at the Opera. Guests will be treated to a production of Leonard Bernstein’s CANDIDE, followed by a post-performance party with complimentary wine and hors d’oeuvres and special performances. Get 20% off your ticket and receive admission to the post-show party with promo code: EQCA
23. Free admission at: Japanese American National Museum (from 5 to 8 p.m.), MOCA Grand & MOCA Geffen (from 5 to 8 p.m.), Skirball Cultural Center (noon to 5 p.m.) and Long Beach Museum of Art (3 to 8 p.m.)
Friday February 9th, 2018
24. Visit the Skirball Cultural Center this Friday for Open Shabbat, a communal meal, held outdoors, featuring a farm-fresh vegetarian menu. This reimagined version of a Jewish ritual is meant to be a meaningful life practice for all.
25. Celebrate Valentine’s Day a little bit early during Cinespia’s special 25th anniversary screening of Poetic Justice at Downtown Los Angeles’ Palace Theater. FREE
26. The 9th Annual Edwardian Ball & World’s Faire returns to the Globe Theater in Los Angeles the day before the official big day. Check for discounted tickets before making your purchase. (DISCOUNTED) via Goldstar
27. Greenbar Distillery will open up their facility for a tour of their organic distillery. The tour is one hour long and guests will have a chance to learn about the process of spirit making and taste some of the Greenbar portfolio. NOTE: Guests can get a free distillery tour & tasting with code LAHEART when booking.
28. Head to The Madelin Garden in Pasadena for high tea and a performance of Oscar Wilde’s The Importance of Being Earnest. (DISCOUNTED) via Goldstar
29. The Last Bookstore presents a reading and discussion with Laurie Penny about the Feminist Future. Laurie is an award-winning writer, critic, political journalist and author of five non-fiction books. FREE
30. The Groundlings Theatre presents their latest main stage show, Sweet Valley Groundlings performing this Friday. (DISCOUNTED) via Goldstar
Want to get our to-do lists straight to your inbox every week? Sign up for our email program.
Have an upcoming event you’d like suggest for listing? Drop us a line at [email protected]