Every week in Los Angeles there are tons of great things to do (even before the weekend gets started) that we think you ought to have on your radar. With that in mind, we put together a list every Monday morning to keep you in the know about what’s happening in the city you love (or maybe just like).
This week, from Monday, June 19 to Friday, June 23, features movie night at Alcove, the Silver Lake Picture Show, Fight Club with a live musical score, a free Twilight Concert at the Pier, LA Zoo Roaring Nights, and LOTS more.
Remember you can always go to our L.A. events calendar page to get an updated rundown of what’s happening around the city.
Hope you find the rundown useful and, as always, enjoy your week!
[IMPORTANT: Want our latest ‘things to do’ rundown sent straight to your email inbox? Sign-up for our newsletter program.]
Keep in mind that while we retain complete editorial control of our content, for some of the ticketing options provided we utilize affiliate links and receive a commission if you purchase through our links.
Monday June 19th, 2017
1. On the third Monday of each month Alcove in Los Feliz will host a free movie screening under the stars with tricked out themed cocktails and food specials. This week they kick off the series with Romeo & Juliet.
2. The team from Smoke and Mirrors aims to add a little razzle-dazzle to your Monday monotony by showcasing a rotating cast of award-winning magicians at The Santa Monica Playhouse.
3. Vagabond Cheese Company and Angel City Brewery team up for Ale Academy Beer and Cheese Edition. The beer-pairing series will show you ways beers and cheese can work together to create delicious results.
4. DJ Trivia at Cellar 43 in Hollywood combines team trivia night with a live DJ host spinning your favorite tunes. Free to play!
5. Head to iOWest for Queer Window, a variety show where performers take a deep dive into the past and the present of the LGBTQ community and culture. The show will feature Ira Madison III, Jurni Rayne, Zach Noe Towers, Sarah Hoffman, and a queer edition of the L.A. Slurring Bee.
Tuesday June 20th, 2017
6. The Moonlight Movies on the Beach series is back for 2017 with a screening of Secret Life of Pets at Granada Beach. FREE
7. People Power film series at the Hammer Museum feature films that examine grassroots political movements around the world. This weeks screening is Amandla!: A Revolution in Four-Part Harmony. Winner of the Audience Award at Sundance in 2002, this soul-stirring documentary uses exclusive interviews and rare film footage to document the vital role of music in the nearly half-century struggle against apartheid in South Africa. FREE
8. Spend an evening poolside and beneath the stars enjoying dinner, cocktails and a classic film as Mr. C’s Poolside Cinema returns with a screening of Chocolat.
9. Cephalopod Movie Night with Atlas Obscura & Science Friday will celebrate fascinating marine creatures like octopuses, squid, cuttlefish and nautiluses with a Cephalopod themed movie night. A co-production with Atlas Obscura, NPR’s Science Friday and Cinefamily at Bob Baker Marionette Theater in Echo Park, guest will watch four original Science Friday short films, enjoy an original puppet show and listen to aquarist Angelina Komatovich of Long Beach’s Aquarium of the Pacific share her stories about octopus wrangling and answer questions about cephalopods.
10. Grand Park is ready to whip you into shape during their Summer Bootcamp series happening every Tuesday evening from 5:30 to 6:30 p.m. All fitness levels are welcome! FREE
11. The Santa Monica Food Truck Lot hosts gourmet food trucks every Tuesday night from 5 to 9:30 p.m. at the California Heritage Museum on Main Street.
12. Honor World Refugee Day with a night of knowledge and a performance of traditional Syrian music by SAVICTO, with thanks to IKAR’s Refugee Support Group and Beth Chayim Chadashim in Mid-City.
13. Free museum day at: Los Angeles County Arboretum, South Coast Botanic Garden and Descanso Gardens
Wednesday June 21st, 2017
14. The Skirball Cultural Center is hosting Make Music Day at the museum in conjunction with an international celebration encompassing more than 700 cities and 120 countries around the world. The festival is also part of the citywide celebration, Make Music Los Angeles.
15. The Los Angeles Conservancy presents Last Remaining Seats featuring classic film screenings in Downtown Los Angeles’ vintage movie palaces. The series continues with Wings (1927) at The Theatre at Ace Hotel in Downtown L.A.
16. Taste of Grand Central Market is a 1.5 hour guided food tour of the historic open air food hall. Your guide will help you navigate the dozens of stalls while sampling from vendors both old and new. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
17. Join CorePower Yoga on International Yoga Day to practice yoga and raise funds for Smile Train. The outdoor event will take place in the middle of 3rd Street Promenade in Santa Monica. Reserve your spot here. FREE
18. The Super Serious Show is a comedy event produced by CleftClips featuring both established and up-and-coming talent performing an array of stand-up, sketch and musical comedy. Happening at The Virgil.
19. Designed for participants to explore Culver City, the 6th Annual Spiked Lemonade Tasting event provides folks with ‘passports’ to be used for redeeming lemonades at different stops in the city. With historic buildings, boutiques, theaters, galleries and unique restaurants Downtown Culver City is a hidden gem in Los Angeles just waiting to be discovered and this Wednesday you can do it with lots of free lemonade. FREE
Thursday June 22nd, 2017
20. The Wiltern will screen Fight Club with a live musical score and music performed by special guests, Gabriel McNair (No Doubt), Angel Roche (musician and former bandmate of Dave Navarro) and more. Check for discounted tickets before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
21. The Silver Lake Picture Show returns on June 22 with free outdoor movie screenings in the heart of Silver Lake at Sunset Triangle Plaza. This week: Cool Runnings. FREE
22. KCRW’s 2017 edition of Summer Nights is a free all ages outdoor music series happening throughout the summer. This Tuesday they’ll take over the Santa Monica Pier with Khalid + Bibi Bourelly. FREE
23. Shakespeare By The Sea returns with free performances for the summer. This week (June 22-23) they’ll be performing Macbeth at Point Fermin Park in San Pedro. While admission is free encourage donations to help support the play. FREE
24. The Levitt Pavilion in McArthur Park continue their annual free concert series this week with Leche on Thursday and Tank And The Bangas plus Sweet Crude on Friday. FREE
25. The 3rd Annual Angel City Games returns to UCLA June 22 through 25 with the leading adaptive sports festival for people with physical disabilities. Angel City Games is an inclusive competition featuring a celebrity basketball game, a charity fun run & roll, sports clinics, its first-ever Great Games Family Cookout and a fun zone for kids.
26. Summer Movie Fest at Cal State Northridge is a free weekly movie night taking place at dusk on CSUN’s Oviatt Library Lawn. The series continues with Selena. FREE
27. BET Experience is a four-day showcase of the best in music, comedy and entertainment. The event, which features both free and ticketed events, takes place at L.A. Live in Downtown Los Angeles from June 22-25 featuring Snoop Dogg, Wiz Khalifa, Kid Cudi, A$AP Rocky, Gucci Mane, BBD (Bell Biv DeVoe) and more.
28. City of San Gabriel’s annual Summer Night concerts & movies returns this week with “Movie in the Park” screening SING at Vincent Lugo Park. FREE
29. Free museum day at: Japanese American National Museum (from 5 to 8 p.m.), MOCA Grand & MOCA Geffen (from 5 to 8 p.m.), Skirball Cultural Center and Long Beach Museum of Art (3 to 8 p.m.)
Friday June 23rd, 2017
30. The L.A. Zoo’s annual Roaring Nights, is back with an awesome assortment of music, food trucks, animal encounters, new exhibits and more. This weeks theme is 60’s Safari Night! DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
31. City of Monterey Park presents Summer Movie Nights a movie series taking place at five different parks in Monterey Park during the summer. This week they will screen Rogue One at Garvey Ranch Park. FREE
32. Constitution Happy Hour at AMMO at The Hammer continues this Friday with a focus on the question “Can we achieve racial justice under the Constitution? ”
33. Grand Performances presents Long Beach Opera FRIDA at California Plaza. FREE
34. The Music Center’s Dance DTLA series returns for a summer full of free dance parties, every Friday, running through September 1. This week’s featured style: Cumbia. FREE
35. Take a Downtown Los Angeles foodie walking tour and savor what the bustling neighborhood has to offer. The tour is three hours long, participants will stop at six popular spots to eat and the tour guide will take folks through the history of DTLA. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
36. Sip wine perched on a iconic L.A. hill that’s also home to an architectural gem at The Barnsdall Art Park’s annual Wine Tasting Nights. Now in its ninth year, the series feature tastings of boutique artisanal wines, along with food trucks, amazing food pop-ups and this Friday includes music from KCRW DJ Marion Hodges.
37. The Groundlings: The Completely Different Late Show is a hilarious improv show by the cast of the Groundlings’ Main Company. Audience shout suggestions throughout the night for improvisational scenes performed by some of the best in the business. It’s also a testing ground for brand new material for the Groundlings’ main show. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
38. Greenbar Distillery is hosting a cocktail classes in Downtown LA this Friday with seasonal fresh produce cocktails using rum and whiskey.
39. Black Rabbit Rose, part theater for magic and variety acts and part craft cocktail bar, takes you into their retro-style cabaret shows set in an intimate and mysterious setting. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
40. Last by not least, it’s “Take Your Dog To Work Day” a worldwide event celebrating man’s best friend by bringing them along to work. We suggest consulting with your boss before actually bringing Fido to your work place. 😉
Want to get our to-do lists straight to your inbox every week? Sign up for our email program.
Have an upcoming event you’d like suggest for listing? Drop us a line at [email protected].