Every week in Los Angeles there are tons of great things to do (even before the weekend gets started) that we think you ought to have on your radar. With that in mind, we put together a list every Monday morning to keep you in the know about what’s happening in the city you love (or maybe just like).
This week, from Monday, July 11 to Friday, July 15, features screenings at Sweet Rose, the Red Bull Music Academy, Sizzling Summer Nights, a free concert at The Hammer, Friday Night Flights at The Getty, the Outfest Film Fest and LOTS more.
Remember you can always go to our L.A. events calendar page to get an updated rundown of what’s happening around the city.
Hope you find the rundown useful and, as always, enjoy your week!
[IMPORTANT: Want our latest ‘things to do’ rundown sent straight to your email inbox? Sign-up for our newsletter program.]
Keep in mind that while we retain complete editorial control of our content, for some of the ticketing options provided we utilize affiliate links and receive a commission if you purchase through our links.
Monday July 11th, 2016
1. From July 11-22 The Red Bull Music Academy’s RBMA Radio will be broadcasting live from a DTLA studio while hosting various music-related pop-ups throughout the city. Monday there will be a conversation with Gaspar Noé and Friday a perfromance by United States of Bass.
2. Come on out to Angel City Brewery in DTLA’s Arts District as they host one epic game night that includes 15+ Board Games, 8+ beers on tap, a 3-round cornhole Tournament and one geeky host.
3. Every week the the team from Smoke and Mirrors aims to add a little razzle-dazzle to your Monday monotony with Magic Monday at The Santa Monica Playhouse. DISCOUNTED
4. View the new exhibition dedicated to Pterosaurs, a species of giant flying dinosaurs at the Natural History Museum.
Tuesday July 12th, 2016
5. Sweet Rose Creamery in Studio City is hosting free summer screenings every Tuesday. Kicking off the series is Sixteen Candles. FREE
6. Moonlight Movies on the Beach screenings take place at Granada Beach in Belmont Shore. This week it’s JAWS. FREE
7. Play Indiana Jones for a day with Escape Room LA: The Cavern. Find clues and solve puzzles to get your hands on a lost civilization’s ancient treasures hundreds of feet below Downtown Los Angeles! DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
8. Escape Room LA: The Detective has you inside a 1940’s film noir set up where you have to solve a slew of mysteries in order to escape. Happening Tuesday and Wednesday. DISCOUNTED via Goldstar.
9. Tony award winning musical Grey Gardens has performances all week at the Ahmanson Theatre. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
10. Outfest LGBTQ film festival span over two weeks (July 7-17) during the summer hosting special screenings and parties all across Los Angeles. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
11. Food truck night at the California Heritage Museum features a big selection of tasty food trucks (5:30 p.m. – 9:30 p.m.) FREE
12. World Rhythms at Descanso Gardens features world music and dance performances in a gorgeous garden setting every Tuesday from June 7 to July 26 from 6-7 p.m.
13. LACMA and The Autry have free museum days on the second Tuesday of the month. FREE
14. LACMA Tuesday Matinee Film Series screens Matilda.
Wednesday July 13th, 2016
15. Shakespeare takes over Griffith Park with free donation-based shows, this weeks performance of Richard III runs Wednesday through Sunday.
16. Shakespeare By The Sea will host performances of Othello at Valley Park on Wednesday. FREE
17. Empire of the Sun plays the Pacific Amphitheatre for the OC Fair. The Australia band puts on an elaborate show playing hit singles like “Walking on a Dream,” “Alive,” and “We Are the People.” DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
18. Get your sun salutations on during Grand Park’s lunch time free yoga class stop by at 12:15 p.m. yoga runs till 1 p.m. FREE
19. Monkey Town is a pop-up dinner series with an immersive 27-foot video installation cube in which you will dine inside of on a 5-course meal prepared by chef Nick Montgomery of Osso. Happening Wednesday-Sunday.
20. Vinoteque on Melrose hosts a trivia night on their patio every Wednesday at 8p.m. FREE
Thursday July 14th, 2016
21. As part of KCRW Summer Nights The Hammer Museum presents Disappear Here with Peanut Butter Wolf + Mndsgn + KCRW DJ Mathieu Schreyer. Show runs 6:30-10:30 p.m. FREE
22. KCRW Summer Nights also is hosting a concert on the Santa Monica Pier with BØRNS, Porches and hosted by KCRW DJ Valida. 7-10 p.m. FREE
23. Take a three-hour Downtown Los Angeles Food Walking Tour thats part history, architecture, and food! You’ll get plenty of chances to grab a bite from seven unique eateries so come hungry. Happening Thursday and Friday. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
24. The Alchemist’s Lab: A Victorian Escape Room happening this Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
25. Shakespeare By The Sea will host performances of Cymbeline at Valley Park on Thursday and Monte Verde Park on Friday. FREE
26. The Sizzling Summer Nights returns at the Autry’s outdoor patio featuring some of LA’s best salsa and Latin fusion bands. Guests will enjoy weekly free dance lessons with award-winning salsa instructor Enio Cordoba, as well as margaritas, tacos and more.
27. Escape Room LA: The Theatre has you trapped inside a creepy theater haunted by a ghost. The only way out is to uncover clues and puzzles to release the ghost before time runs out. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
28. Old Pasadena Summer Cinema screens Plant This Movie at Armory Center for the Arts. FREE
29. Treat yourself to Veuve Clicquot Champagne & Oysters Poolside Soirée an exclusive oyster and champagne event at Mr.C Beverly Hills.
30. The Downtown Art Walk has been an L.A. cultural phenomenon bringing art enthusiasts and locals together every second Thursday of each month for a night of art in mutiple forms. FREE
31. The Japanese American National Museum offers free admission from 5 p.m. – 8 p.m. every Thursday. FREE
32. Every Thursday evening from 5 p.m. – 8 p.m. admission is free to both the MOCA on Grand and The Geffen Contemporary. FREE
33. ‘After 5’ Music Series at Hauser Wirth & Schimmel in the Arts District is a summer night party with live music, drinks and food. FREE
34. Throwback Thursdays at NOHO cinema screens A Clockwork Orange this week. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
35. Grand Performances in DTLA will host a happy hour and an all vinyl set by DJs Rudy Bleu Y Crasslos FREE
36. The Skirball Cultural Center is free to all every Thursday. FREE
37. IDEA World Fitness & Nutrition Expo is a free fitness expo taking place at the L.A. Convention Center. FREE
38. Some of the world’s best beach volleyball players compete this weekend in Manhattan Beach during the AVP Manhattan Beach Open. Matches are free to attend but seats require a ticket. FREE
Friday July 15th, 2016
39. Barnsdall Art Park’s Breaking Convention Summer Soiree will feature a live art installation by Aaron Axelrod, live music and food curated by executive chefs from Terrine, Faith & Flower, Hanjip, and Viviane!
40. Tony Award-winning puppet musical Avenue Q continues at the Cupcake Theater for a marvelous (and hilarious) look at trying to make it as an adult in NYC. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
41. Old Pasadena Summer Cinema is back this week with two screenings! Cool Hand Luke at One Colorado and Two for the Road at Distant Lands Travel Bookstore. FREE
42. Odd Nights at The Autry features a collection of over 200 vendors, 20 gourmet food trucks, a beer garden, custom handmade treasures and live entertainment. FREE
43. Westfield Summertime Cinema at Fashion Square in Sherman Oaks will screen Zootopia. FREE
44. The Completely Different Late Show performed by the cast of the Groundlings’ Main Company will have you crying tears of laughter this Friday night. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
45. East LA Meets Napa will feature some of the city’s best Latino food and wine from over 35 local chefs, eateries and Napa Valley wineries, as well as live music.
46. Summertime Cinema kicks off at Westfield Culver City with a outdoor screening of Enchanted. FREE
47. The Odyssey’s comedy Go Back To Where You Are by David Greenspan and directed by Bart Delorenzo will host a complimentary performance at 8 p.m. all you need to do is mention “WeLikeLA” and your ticket is FREE!
48. Checkout the South Bay Greek Festival for a day of Greek food, Greek wine, dancing, music and more happening all weekend.
49. Friday Flights at The Getty is a free summer series with music, special projects, dance, film and more. This program includes music by Chris Cohen, a multi-site music performance by wild Up’s Andrew Tholl, a film program presented by Veggie Cloud and more. FREE
Want to get our to-do lists straight to your inbox every week? Sign up for our email program.
Have an upcoming event you’d like suggest for listing? Drop us a line at [email protected].