Every week in Los Angeles there are tons of great things to do (even before the weekend gets started) that we think you ought to have on your radar. With that in mind, we put together a list every Monday morning to keep you in the know about what’s happening in the city you love (or maybe just like).
This week, from Tuesday, July 5 to Friday, July 8, features the Silver Lake Picture Show, Twilight Concerts at The Pier, Disappear Here at The Hammer, Summer Garden Nights at NHM, Old Pasadena Cinema, Star Trek at the Hollywood Bowl, and LOTS more.
Remember you can always go to our L.A. events calendar page to get an updated rundown of what’s happening around the city.
Hope you find the rundown useful and, as always, enjoy your week!
[IMPORTANT: Want our latest ‘things to do’ rundown sent straight to your email inbox? Sign-up for our newsletter program.]
Keep in mind that while we retain complete editorial control of our content, for some of the ticketing options provided we utilize affiliate links and receive a commission if you purchase through our links.
Tuesday July 5th, 2016
1. Moonlight Movies on the Beach screenings take place at Granada Beach in Belmont Shore. This week it’s Goonies. FREE
2. Food truck night at the California Heritage Museum features a big selection of tasty food trucks (5:30 p.m. – 9:30 p.m.) FREE
3. Kidspace Children’s Museum (from 4 to 8 p.m.)
4. World Rhythms at Descanso Gardens features world music and dance performances in a gorgeous garden setting every Tuesday from June 7 to July 26 from 6-7 p.m.
5. View the new exhibition dedicated to Pterosaurs, a species of giant flying dinosaurs at the Natural History Museum.
6. LACMA Tuesday Matinee Film Series screens Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.
7. Monkey Town is a pop-up dinner series with an immersive 27-foot video installation cube in which you will dine inside of on a 5-course meal prepared by chef Nick Montgomery of Osso.
Wednesday July 6th, 2016
8. Shakespeare takes over Griffith Park with free donation-based shows, this weeks performance of Richard III runs Wednesday through Sunday.
9. Get your sun salutations on during Grand Park’s lunch time free yoga class stop by at 12:15 p.m. yoga runs till 1 p.m. FREE
10. NHRA Motorsports Museum’s Twilight Cruise shows off hundreds of hot rods, customs, and street machines on the first Wednesday of every month.
11. Get a taste of Old Hollywood and sip on classic cocktails with the Historic Hollywood: Stars & Bars Gang as they recall Hollywood tales and history happening Wednesday through Friday. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
Thursday July 7th, 2016
12. Mayer Hawthorne, Alina Baraz and KCRW DJ Jason Bentley will perform at Twilight Concerts on the Pier the KCRW-sponsored concert will take on the Santa Monica Pier. FREE
13. Shakespeare By The Sea will host performances of Othello at Point Fermin Park on the Thursday and Saturday. FREE
14. The Silver Lake Picture Show is a summer film series at Sunset Triangle Plaza this week Idiocracy will be screened. FREE
15. Poolside, Carlos Nino & Friends and KCRW DJ Aaron Byrdwill perform during Disappear Here at The Hammer a KCRW sponsored concert taking place at The Hammer Museum. FREE
16. The Alchemist’s Lab: A Victorian Escape Room happening this Thursday and Friday. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
17. Celebrate Ringo Starr’s birthday with the Beatle and his friends at The Capitol Records Tower. Expect lots of famous faces, live performances and more. FREE
18. The Virus: An Immersive Escape Room Experience happening all weekend. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
19. Grand Performances in DTLA welcomes SuperEverything* a live cinema performance by The Light Surgeons. FREE
20. Join author Orgyen Chowang Rinpoche at The Last Book Store for a public talk on his latest book and a guided meditation to follow. FREE
21. ‘After 5’ Music Series at Hauser Wirth & Schimmel in the Arts District is a summer night party with live music, drinks and food. FREE
22. Throwback Thursdays at NOHO cinema screens Dr. Strange Love this week. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
23. Ace Gallery Beverly Hills will be hosting an opening reception for Natalie Arnoldi’s: Below Sea Level Exhibition from 7-9 p.m. FREE
24. The Japanese American National Museum offers free admission from 5 p.m. – 8 p.m. every Thursday. FREE
25. Every Thursday evening from 5 p.m. – 8 p.m. admission is free to both the MOCA on Grand and The Geffen Contemporary. FREE
26. Outfest LGBTQ film festival span over two weeks (July 7-17) during the summer hosting special screenings and parties all across Los Angeles. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
27. The Skirball Cultural Center is free to all every Thursday. FREE
Friday July 8th, 2016
28. Party under the stars during Into the Night: Summer SOULstice at the Skirball featuring music by Gavin Turek, Open Mike Eagle and a vinyl soul set from Southern Soul Spinners.
29. The L.A. Food Fest is back for it’s seventh year, promising three days of tasty bites and refreshing sips from 100+ food and beverage vendors as well as exclusive hosted ticketed events.
30. Old Pasadena Summer Cinema kicks off their July lineup with Goonies at One Colorado. FREE
31. At Natural History Museum’s Summer Nights in The Garden you can sip on nature-inspired cocktails while enjoying summer tunes. The event is free with RSVP. FREE
32. Westfield Summertime Cinema at Fashion Square in Sherman Oaks will screen Clueless. FREE
33. There are still tickets availble for Star Trek in Concert at the Hollywood Bowl. Watch the movie as the LA Phil performs Michael Giacchino’s film score along with it! DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
34. In support of our veterans, GIs of Comedy will take over The Wiltern for one night with their stand up comdey show and a screening of Robin William’s Good Morning, Vietnam! Update: The event has been cancelled]
35. Guests can actually go on to the field for a spectacular fireworks show during Los Angeles Dodgers Friday Night Fireworks. This weekend the Dodgers are up against the Padres. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
36. Shakespeare By The Sea will host a free performance of Cymbeline at Point Fermin Park. FREE
37. Barnsdall Park’s Friday Night Wine Tasting happens all summer long. Guests will enjoy fine wine, art in the gardens and and live music.
38. American Ballet Theatre returns to The Music Center with Misty Copeland and Stella Abrera from July 8-10 featuring a repertoire program that includes Igor Stravinsky, Dmitri Shostakovich and a new piece by Leonard Bernstein.
39. Tony Award-winning puppet musical Avenue Q continues at the Cupcake Theater for a marvelous (and hilarious) look at trying to make it as an adult in NYC. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
40. Grand Performances in DTLA welcomes Swing Electrique with DJ Derek Rath. FREE
41. Finding Dory at The Hollywood El Capitan Theatre, catch The Bubble Guy a breathtaking bubble extravaganza before the movie. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
42. The Long Beach Museum of Art is free from 3 – 8 p.m this Friday.
43. Tease, If You Please Burlesque Show staged at Globe Theatre spotlights acts from some of the most creative dancers in the business. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
Want to get our to-do lists straight to your inbox every week? Sign up for our email program.
Have an upcoming event you’d like suggest for listing? Drop us a line at [email protected].