Every week in Los Angeles there are tons of great things to do (even before the weekend gets started) that we think you ought to have on your radar. With that in mind, we put together a list every Monday morning to keep you in the know about what’s happening in the city you love (or maybe just like).
This week, from Monday, August 14 to Friday, August 18, features the Burbank Comedy Festival, Echo Park Rising, a Taste of Downtown Culver City, the Long Beach BBQ Festival, the Chocolate & Art Show, and MUCH more.
Remember you can always go to our L.A. events calendar page to get an updated rundown of what’s happening around the city.
Hope you find the rundown useful and, as always, enjoy your week!
[IMPORTANT: Want our latest ‘things to do’ rundown sent straight to your email inbox? Sign-up for our newsletter program.]
Keep in mind that while we retain complete editorial control of our content, for some of the ticketing options provided we utilize affiliate links and receive a commission if you purchase through our links.
Monday August 14th, 2017
1. Head to the Ford Theatres for a free summer JAM session featuring complimentary dance instruction. This Monday’s theme: Line Dance! FREE
2. The 4th Annual Burbank Comedy Festival runs August 13 – 19 and will feature Hal Sparks, Jeff Garlin, Carol Leifer, Kel Mitchell, Mary Lynn Rajskub, Joey Diaz, and many more.
3. Grab a beer and get artistic by attempting to draw a live model at Angel City Brewery in DTLA when Drinky Draw returns for their popular beer and art event.
4. Interested in learning more about how humans will get along on the red planet? Snag a ticket to attend Sleeping on Mars: A Hidden Challenge for Human Space Exploration, part of the Cosmic Musings Lecture Series at Griffith Observatory.
5. E.P. & L.P. presents ‘Melrose Rooftop Cinema’ in West Hollywood featuring sweeping city views, modern Asian cuisine and an outdoor movie experience every Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday evening through August 30. The series continues this week, starting with Dirty Dancing on Monday.
6. The Business LA is a free comedy show at Little Joy featuring some of the best local comics in town. FREE
Tuesday August 15th, 2017
7. The Hammer Museum’s new series Shake It Off offers dance themed films all August. This week they will screen Flashdance on Tuesday.
8. The Moonlight Movies on the Beach series continues with a screening of Moana at Granada Beach this Tuesday. FREE
9. Cheer on the Dodgers as they go up against the Chicago White Sox. Spend an evening at the iconic Dodger Stadium and dine on the newly revamped menu as you watch the boys in blue. Happening Tuesday and Wednesday. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
10. E.P. & L.P. presents ‘Melrose Rooftop Cinema’ in West Hollywood featuring sweeping city views, modern Asian cuisine and an outdoor movie experience every Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday evening through August 30. The series continues this week, starting with Pulp Fiction on Tuesday.
11. Spend an evening poolside and beneath the stars enjoying dinner, cocktails and a classic film as Mr. C’s Poolside Cinema returns with a screening of Back to the Future.
12. Free museum days: Los Angeles County Arboretum (note: the tram doesn’t run on this day), South Coast Botanic Garden and Descanso Gardens
Wednesday August 16th, 2017
13. Taste of Downtown Culver City: Centennial Grand Finale comes to Downtown Culver City for the ultimate outdoor tasting event. In addition to sampling over 20 restaurants guests will enjoy live music and family fun activities. Check for discount tickets before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
14. Taste of Grand Central Market is a 1.5 hour guided food tour of the historic open air food hall. Your guide will help you navigate the dozens of stalls while sampling from vendors both old and new. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
15. Enjoy some free Shakespeare this summer when the Independent Shakespeare Co. returns for the 8th year in a row with free/donation-based performances at the Old Zoo in Griffith Park. The Two Gentlemen of Verona Wednesday through Sunday.
16. E.P. & L.P. presents ‘Melrose Rooftop Cinema’ in West Hollywood featuring sweeping city views, modern Asian cuisine and an outdoor movie experience every Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday evening through August 30. The series continues this week, starting with Hidden Figures on Wednesday.
17. The Hammer Museum’s new series Shake It Off offers dance themed films all August. This week they will screen Breakin’ on Wednesday.
18. Shakespeare By The Sea returns with free performances for the summer. This Wednesday they’ll be performing Macbeth at Adventure Park in Whitter. While admission is free encourage donations to help support the play. FREE
Thursday August 17th, 2017
19. Echo Park Rising returns for its seventh year (August 17-20) with hundreds of up-and-coming bands to play at venues that include The Echo, The Echoplex, Stories Bookstore, Lost Knight, Little Joy and other more.
20. The Silver Lake Picture Show returns with free outdoor movie screenings in the heart of Silver Lake at Sunset Triangle Plaza. This week: Space Jam will be screened . FREE
21. The 2017 season of the Skirball’s free Sunset Concert Series, inspired by the Skirball’s current high-profile exhibition Paul Simon: Words & Music, is a showcase for up-and-coming talents and established artists from Los Angeles and around the globe. The series continues with Daymé Arocena. FREE
22. All My Single Friends is described as part comedy show and part live dating app taking place at the Copper Still. If you’re so over Tinder and Bumble check this show out where you’ll be in a room with some of LA’s best comedians and hottest singles. Use Code BALLS for 50% off your ticket.
23. The El Segundo Art Walk takes place every third Thursday of the summer months featuring 40+ artists in 35 venues, live music, great food and tours of artist studios in downtown El Segundo and in Smoky Hollow. FREE
24. KCRW’s 2017 edition of Summer Nights is a free all ages outdoor music series happening throughout the summer. This Thursday they’ll takeover the Santa Monica Pier with Warpaint, Wild Belle and KCRW DJ Karene Daniel. FREE
25. The Moonlight Movies on the Beach series continues with a screening of Princess Bride at Alamitos Beach this Thursday. FREE
26. Dance the night away during Sizzling Summer Nights happening at The Autry this Thursday. Some of L.A.’s best salsa and Latin fusion bands will get the outdoor party sizzling and free dance lessons with award-winning salsa instructor Orlando Delgado will have you twirling like a pro. In addition guests will gain access to museum galleries, a separate children’s dance floor, tacos, margaritas, and more!
27. Marina del Rey’s free Summer Concert Series continues with a fully staged version of Giuseppe Verdi’s opera Aida. FREE
28. Summer Movie Fest at Cal State Northridge is a free weekly movie night taking place at dusk on CSUN’s Oviatt Library Lawn. The series continues with La La Land. FREE
29. Concerts on The Bloc in Downtown Los Angeles is a free summer concert series with free beer in the mix! FREE
30. Shakespeare By The Sea returns with free performances for the summer. This Thursday they’ll be performing Macbeth at Terreana Resort in Rancho Palos Verdes. While admission is free encourage donations to help support the play. FREE
31. Summer of Music at Redondo Pier host free concerts every Thursday and Saturday highlighting a slew of genres. This week Living Cover will perform. FREE
32. Shakespeare’s enchanting A Midsummer Night’s Dream returns to Topanga Canyon’s Theatricum Botanicum for ten performances throughout the summer with their signature production in a uniquely rustic outdoor theater surrounded by oak trees. Check for discount tickets before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
33. Free museum days: Pasadena Museum of California Art (from 5 to 8 p.m.), Japanese American National Museum (all day), MOCA Grand & MOCA Geffen (from 5 to 8 p.m.), Skirball Cultural Center and Long Beach Museum of Art (3 to 8 p.m.)
Friday August 18th, 2017
34. The Long Beach BBQ Festival (August 18-20) is an annual weekend-long party featuring music, dancing, and a massive selection of top BBQ, including an All-You-Can-Eat VIP Rib Village. Check for discount tickets before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
35. Join the Los Angeles Philharmonic for an evening of music and fireworks at The Hollywood Bowl. During Tchaikovsky & Fireworks, the LA Phil along with conductor Bramwell Tovey will perform some of Tchaikovsky’s greatest hits including Eugene Onegin, The Nutcracker and Sleeping Beauty. The night will conclude with the 1812 Overture and a dazzling fireworks extravaganza. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
36. Beach Movie Nights at Dockweiler Youth Center is an all ages free movie screening by the water. This week they will screen Moana. FREE
37. Expereince all things Korean during KCON 2017 at the Los Angeles Convention Center. There will be vendor booths, Korean food, performances, loads of celebrity appearances and more.
38. KCON Food Street by KTOWN Night Market (August 18, 19, and 2) is three days of Asian-inspired street food as part of KCON. Admission is free and 30+ vendors like Bibigo, Seoul Street, Rice Balls of Fire, Belly Bombz, Bling Bling Dumpling, Boba Bear, Hot Stars and more will be on hand for all your Asian cravings.
39. Garbage Pail Groundlings is the latest main stage show at the renowned LA theater. The show is filled with sketch comedy, improv and a cast of growing comedians who’ve made appearances in movies like Ted and television shoes like Workaholics. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
40. The Music Center’s Dance DTLA series returns this week with Dance Downtown: Argentine Tango at Grand Park. FREE
41. FIGat7th Downtown Festival will return to transform the popular shopping destination into an intimate music venue with live performances by leading pop, rock, American roots, soul and alternative artists. FREE
42. The Chocolate and Art Show heads to Los Angeles this Friday August and Saturday for an indulgent art show featuring LA’s best up-and-coming artists, photographers and creators showcasing their work. In addition, there will be live body painting, booth vendors, live music, face-painting, and of course lots of free chocolate.
43. 818Day returns with a celebration of the San Fernando Valley and all of its unique character. Top Valley DJs will be spinning Hip Hop to Acid House tunes and drinks are sure to be served.
44. Pershing Square continues their free summer movie screenings this Friday with Cell. FREE
45. The Music Center on Location comes to the Ford Theatres starting this Friday for three days of top-notch dance and musical performances. The lineup features Aszure Barton’s Awáa, Jacob Jonas The Company + Tim Hecker with Kara-Lis Coverdale, and Rufus Wainwright.
46. Grand Performances presents free musical performances in DTLA. This weekend the series continues with Cameron Graves and Leon Ware Tributeo. FREE
47. Sip wine perched on a iconic L.A. hill that’s also home to an architectural gem at The Barnsdall Art Park’s annual Wine Tasting Nights. Now in its ninth year, the series feature tastings of boutique artisanal wines, along with food trucks, amazing food pop-ups and this Friday includes music from KCRW DJ Marion Hodges.
Want to get our to-do lists straight to your inbox every week? Sign up for our email program.
Have an upcoming event you’d like suggest for listing? Drop us a line at [email protected]