You know what’s handy? Waking up in the morning, firing up your phone/computer and being able to scan a super quick (but curated) rundown of the best of what lies ahead. So here it is, our list of fun things to do in Los Angeles for today, Saturday, January 5, 2019.
May it lead you to adventure!
[IMPORTANT: Want our latest ‘things to do’ rundowns sent straight to your email inbox? Sign-up for our newsletter program]
Keep in mind for some of the ticketing options we utilize affiliate links and receive a commission if you purchase through our links (affiliates noted in parenthesis).
1. [9 a.m.] The Retro City Festival comes to the Fairplex on January 5 – 6 for California’s largest display of retro games. Over 70 exhibitors will be on hand to help you add to your gaming collection.
2. [9 a.m.] Bricks LA at Pasadena Convention Center (Jan. 5-6) will include over 19,000 square feet of custom made models, a play area for kids of all ages (adults included) and vendors selling new, used and vintage LEGO sets.
3. [9 a.m.] Old Pasadena Historical District offers a walking tour every first Saturday of the month.
4. [10 a.m.] The Yoga Expo heads to the Pasadena Convention Center for a full day of workshops, yoga experiences and namastes. Check for discounted tickets while supplies last via Goldstar. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
5. [10 a.m.] The Hello Kitty Cafe Truck stops by the Promenade at Downey from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. near the Cinemark Theater. They’ll be serving lots of super cute treats while supplies last.
6. [11 a.m.] The Montebello Historical Society will host a Battle of Rio San Gabriel Reenactment this Saturday. Witness American and Californio reenactors battle it out leading up to California’s statehood. Highlights include musket firing demos, living history exhibits, children arts & crafts, live authentic period music and 19th century fandango dancing. FREE
7. [noon] Second City Hollywood will once again host an Open House with free workshops in stand up, improv, acting, writing and singing. There will also be free admission to select shows. Reservations are highly recommend for both workshops and shows. FREE
8. [noon] Trek the Palos Verdes Shoreline at Lunada Bay during In the Field with NHM. Led by a team of experts including Dr. Regina Wetzer, Director of Marine Diversity at NHM. Guests will get an inside look at the geological history of the area, identify fossils, check out marine wildlife and more.
9. [6 p.m.] Ya Filthy Animals is a pop-up bar inspired by holiday movies including Bad Santa, A Christmas Story, and, of course, Home Alone. Expect themed drinks, photo booths, movie-themed installations, an outdoor ice rink, falling “snow,” a Christmas tree farm, food trucks and a fire pit. Open now till January 6, 2019 on Wednesdays through Sundays. Check for discounted tickets before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
10. [9 p.m.] BOOTIE LA is putting on a NYE Do-Over Party at Resident DTLA.
Want more ideas for upcoming things to do in L.A.? Check out our Los Angeles events calendar