You know what’s handy? Waking up in the morning, firing up your phone/computer and being able to scan a super quick (but curated) rundown of the best of what lies ahead. So here it is, our list of fun things to do in Los Angeles for today, Wednesday, January 8, 2020.
May it lead you to adventure!
[IMPORTANT: Want our latest ‘things to do’ rundowns sent straight to your email inbox? Sign-up for our newsletter program]
Keep in mind for some of the ticketing options we utilize affiliate links and receive a commission if you purchase through our links (affiliates noted in parenthesis).
1. [3 p.m.] The annual LA Kings Holiday Ice happening at L.A. LIVE’s Microsoft Square is a daily outdoors holiday skating rink. Open November 30, 2019 through January 12, 2020.
2. [4:50 p.m.] Griffith Observatory offers a Sunset Walk & Talk one evening a month led by a Park Ranger and museum guide. FREE
3. [6 p.m.] The Getty Center will host Drinking in the Past: The Intoxicating Art of Impressionism, an evening celebrating French café and bar culture often seen in many Impressionist works of art. Join Maite Gomez-Rejon for a lecture on the history of Édouard Manet’s late-19th-century Paris. Then, enjoy wine and champagnes curated by Ian Blackburn from wineLA plus some hearty appetizers. Tickets cost $75 and you must be 21 and over to attend this event. The event is also held on Friday.
4. [7 p.m.] The Garvey Ranch Observatory will host an evening of astronomy with members of the Los Angeles Astronomical Society. Guest will have a chance to go into the dome to view the stars, enjoy a star party on the lawn, and learn how to build their own telescope. The observatory is open to the public on Wednesday nights only. FREE
5. [8 p.m.] Zebulon will be spinning David Bowie tunes all night long in celebration of his birthday.
6. [8 p.m.] Women Crush Wednesday is a night dedicated to female-forward spirits. Taking place at Brandon’s on La Brea, the secret hideaway is located in the back of the 6th & La Brea Brewery. This week’s featured brand is Capurro Premium Pisco. There will be complimentary bar bites, vinyl tunes, special cocktails and of course pisco tastings.
7. [8:30 p.m.] Slow Bang is a monthly night of curated DJ sets at the Ace Hotel Upstairs Bar. FREE
8. [9 p.m.] This week’s edition of DubClub at Echoplex features special live dub performance from Kutral Dub and Red I. Free before 10 p.m., $10 thereafter.
9. [9 p.m.] Jeff Goldblum and the Mildred Snitzer Orchestra come to the Rockwell Table & Stage.
10. [various] Santa Monica Restaurant Week returns January 6-12 with over 35 restaurants creating a unique dish with one unifying star ingredient, the kumquat. Scroll down to our Food Pick of the Week for highlights and suggestions.
#SPONSORED DEAL OF THE DAY: Kick-start your New Year’s resolution with the best view in the city! Join OUE Skyspace for morning yoga every Saturday in the month of January. Includes 1-hour yoga class, access to all levels of Skyspace and unlimited Skyslide rides.