You know what’s handy? Waking up in the morning, firing up your phone/computer and being able to scan a super quick (but curated) rundown of the best of what lies ahead. So here it is, our list of fun things to do in Los Angeles for today, Friday, February 1, 2019.
May it lead you to adventure!
[IMPORTANT: Want our latest ‘things to do’ rundowns sent straight to your email inbox? Sign-up for our newsletter program]
Keep in mind for some of the ticketing options we utilize affiliate links and receive a commission if you purchase through our links (affiliates noted in parenthesis).
1. [11 a.m.] Photo LA. at the Barker Hanger in Santa Monica runs from January 31 to February 3. The event celebrates photography and how it fits within the realm of fine art. Tonight is the opening night benefit for Venice Arts.
2. [11 a.m.] Check out Harder Volumes, a new solo exhibition by Los Angeles based artist Nora Shields on display at The Pit in Glendale. Gallery hours are 11 a.m. to 5 p.m.
3. [3 p.m.] Never been to LACMA? First-time Fridays is a new monthly event for new visitors to the museum. Simply let the ticket office know you’re a newbie and you’ll receive a free poster, discounts and a welcome gift. Stop by after 3 pm with a L.A. County residents ID and get free admission.
4. [2 p.m.] Rare Books L.A. comes to the Pasadena Convention Center February 1 – 2 to help book lovers discover literary treasures from all over the world. The fair will feature one hundred of the finest specialists in antiquarian books, fine prints, photography, and ephemera from throughout the United States, Europe, and Asia.
5. [4 p.m.] Metro Art presents alto saxophonist, multi-instrumentalist and composer Josh Johnson in a special rush-hour concert this Friday, from 4-6 p.m. in the Waiting Room of Union Station. FREE
6. [6 p.m.] he Consulate General of France in Los Angeles and the Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County presents the second annual Night of Ideas Los Angeles on February 1 an evening of engaging lectures and conversations, live musical and dance performances, readings, art installations, screenings, and more. FREE
7. [7 p.m.] Severance Wine Bar wants to celebrate your single status during their BREAKUP BAR POPUP. Taking place next door to the bar, the two week long party will transport guest into an anti-Valentine’s Day world with break up appropriate movie screenings, a Wall of Broken Relationships, loads of champagne, cocktails and food.
8. [7:30 p.m.] The Griffith Observatory hosts a monthly forum where some of the most amazing phenomena in the known universe are explained and discussed. It’s called All Space Considered and it takes place on the first Friday of every month. FREE
9. [various] Since its the first Friday of the month check out all the cool events happening around town including block parties and art walks for First Fridays.
10. [various] Dine on specially priced lunch and dinner menus at one of SGV’s best dining destinations through Taste of Alhambra Restaurant happening January 27 through February 2.
#SPONSORED DEAL OF THE DAY: Get $10 tix to Ragin Cajun Crawfish Jamboree in Redondo Beach
Want more ideas for upcoming things to do in L.A.? Check out our Los Angeles events calendar
The Best Things to do in L.A., straight to your inbox! Sign Up For Our Email List And You Receive...
- Two emails a week, Monday AM and Thursday AM.
- Monday: The best of the week ahead. 30+ ideas.
- Thursday: What to do this weekend. 30+ ideas.
- Occasional emails with special offers and messages from promotional parters.
- Optional emails for daily to-dos, travel tips, food recommendations, and deals.Basically, just think of us as your friend making some fun suggestions for what you might like to check out this day or week or month in L.A. Sign-up in the form below to join over 66,000 Angelenos who already subscribe!