You know what’s handy? Waking up in the morning, firing up your phone/computer and being able to scan a super quick (but curated) rundown of the best of what lies ahead. So here it is, our list of fun things to do in Los Angeles for today, Thursday, February 20, 2020.
May it lead you to adventure!
[IMPORTANT: Want our latest ‘things to do’ rundowns sent straight to your email inbox? Sign-up for our newsletter program]
Keep in mind for some of the ticketing options we utilize affiliate links and receive a commission if you purchase through our links (affiliates noted in parenthesis).
1. [10 a.m.] ban.do’s warehouse sale is back Feb. 19-23 with up to 80% on apparel, stationery, drinkware and more. This time the sale will be held at the 260 Sample Sale Beverly Hills location.
2. [6:30 p.m.] This week The Autry debuts a new series called Locals Only to take place on select Thursday evenings allowing the public to access galleries after hours. Expect artist creations, drop-in curator talkbacks, music, movement, and more during the series.
3. [7 p.m.] Silver Lake Shorts returns this month to the El Cid highlighting black filmmakers’ this time. The format is an anything goes shorts showcase of film makers from a wide range of mediums. FREE
4. [8 p.m.] KCRW’s Left, Right & Center radio program is billed as a “civilized yet provocative antidote to the self-contained opinion bubbles that dominate political debate.” On Thursday LRC will be hosting a live episode at The Broad Stage in Santa Monica.
5. [8 p.m.] The Wallis has an experimental adaptation of Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein with performances on select dates through March 1.
6. [8 p.m.] Cirque Du Soleil’s Volta is playing at Dodger Stadium on select nights through March 8.
7. [9 p.m.] Every first and third Thursday of the month Brennan’s in Marina Del Rey hosts their famous turtle races. Since 1974, this tradition brings these little speedsters out of their sanctuary (located in the bar) for an exciting game that support charities. Race starts at 9 p.m.
8. [10 p.m.] The Understudies the longest running two-man improv show in Los Angeles celebrates their nine year anniversary on the Main Stage of The Groundlings this Thursday. The theatrical style of improv show has three full acts played out on the spot from a single suggestion.
9. [various] Free Museum Day at Skirball Cultural Center (noon to 5 p.m.), Japanese American National Museum (5 to 8 p.m.), Long Beach Museum of Art (3 to 8 p.m.) and USC Pacific Asian Museum (5 to 8 p.m.) FREE
10. [various] The Pan African Film Festival (PAFF) returns to Los Angeles February 11-23. Now in its 28th year, the festival is the largest black film festival in America.
#SPONSORED DEAL OF THE DAY: $2.50 tix to the Long Beach Crawfish Festival (via Goldstar)