You know what’s handy? Waking up in the morning, firing up your phone/computer and being able to scan a super quick (but curated) rundown of the best of what lies ahead. So here it is, our list of fun things to do in Los Angeles for today, Thursdat February 21, 2019.
May it lead you to adventure!
[IMPORTANT: Want our latest ‘things to do’ rundowns sent straight to your email inbox? Sign-up for our newsletter program]
Keep in mind for some of the ticketing options we utilize affiliate links and receive a commission if you purchase through our links (affiliates noted in parenthesis).
1. [9 a.m.] 260LA will host a Herschel sample sale from February 19-24 in their Beverly Hills location.
2. [11 a.m.] Head to Hauser & Wirth Los Angeles to check out ‘Annie Leibovitz. The Early Years, 1970 – 1983: Archive Project No. 1,’ an extension of the 2017 survey of the same title presented by the LUMA Foundation at the festival Rencontres d’Arles, France. The exhibition features more than 4,000 photographs taken between 1970 and 1983, spanning the artist’s early photojournalistic work for Rolling Stone Magazine to some of her most iconic portraits. ‘The Early Years’ will remain on view through April 14, 2019. FREE
3. [6 p.m.] Gary Clark Jr. comes to Amoeba Hollywood this Thursday with a live performance promoting his new album, This Land.
4. [6 p.m. ] Takashi Murakami opening reception at Gagosian Beverly Hills.
5. [6:30 p.m.] This Thursday the Just Jazz Live Concert Series brings a special pop-up event to Baldwin Hills Crenshaw Plaza featuring a live performance by Inglewood-based jazz collective Katalyst and the Fernando Pullum Community Arts Center Student Jazz Ensemble. FREE
6. [8 p.m.] Annual Bowie Skate Night at Moonlight Rollerway.
7. [9 p.m.] Every first and third Thursday of the month Brennan’s in Marina Del Rey hosts their famous turtle races. Since 1974, this tradition brings these little speedsters out of their sanctuary (located in the bar) for an exciting game that support charities. Race starts at 9 p.m.
8. [various] Free admission at: Japanese American National Museum (from 5 to 8 p.m.), MOCA Grand & MOCA Geffen (from 5 to 8 p.m.), Skirball Cultural Center (noon to 5 p.m.) and Long Beach Museum of Art (3 to 8 p.m.) FREE
9. [various] The 3rd Annual Oscar Film Week returns to Culina at the Four Seasons Hotel in Beverly Hills February 19 – 23 with a meal and screening of all eight “Best Picture” Oscar nominated films in 2019.
10. [various] Palm Springs Modernism Week returns February 14-24 to celebrate all things midcentury modern including architecture, art, interior landscape design and vintage culture.
#SPONSORED DEAL OF THE DAY: $8 tix to the PartyWith experience (via Goldstar)
Want more ideas for upcoming things to do in L.A.? Check out our Los Angeles events calendar