You know what’s handy? Waking up in the morning, firing up your phone/computer and being able to scan a super quick (but curated) rundown of the best of what lies ahead. So here it is, our list of fun things to do in Los Angeles for today, Sunday, February 23, 2020.
May it lead you to adventure!
[IMPORTANT: Want our latest ‘things to do’ rundowns sent straight to your email inbox? Sign-up for our newsletter program]
Keep in mind for some of the ticketing options we utilize affiliate links and receive a commission if you purchase through our links (affiliates noted in parenthesis).
1. [8 a.m.] Mujeres Market is a SoCal based market that highlights local womxn of color entrepreneurs, artists, writers, and collective. They’ll stop by the Hollywood Farmers Market this Sunday.
2. [9 a.m.] Los Angeles’ largest ongoing open streets initiative is heading to South L.A. on Sunday. CicLAvia will open a car-free, 6-mule stretch connecting South Central, Florence-Firestone and Watts. FREE
3. [9 a.m.] The Aquarium of the Pacific’s annual African American Festival celebrates African American and African culture through a two-day affair featuring Mardi Gras second line dancers, hip hop and break dancers, jazz musicians, interactive drum circles, West African dancers, and storytellers.
4. [10 a.m.] Enjoy a Sunday morning leisure walk at Malibu Creek State Park. Led by a docent, guests will learn about the park’s history, plants and animals, and how nature is recovering after the Woolsey Fire. The walk starts at 10 a.m. and is approximately 2 1/2 hours. Families are welcomed. FREE
5. [10 a.m.] The Japanese Garden, a 6.5 acres public Japanese garden located in central San Fernando Valley, is hosting A Day of Japanese Traditional Music on the grounds this Sunday. The experience is free with admission to the garden.
6. [11 a.m.] The Museum of Latin American Art in Long Beach will host an Afro-Lantix Festival showcasing African influence in Latin America through music, dance, food, and martial arts. Festival attendees can experience art workshops, face painting, and live performances. FREE
7. [2:30 & 7:30 p.m.] The Wallis has an experimental adaptation of Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein with performances now extended through March 7.
8. [4:30 p.m.] Head to Angel City Brewery for Go Fact Yourself a live podcast taping featuring comedians, actors and musicians answering questions on topics they claim to be experts in while the real experts on hand weight in and give us all the real facts. FREE
9. [7 p.m.] Latin Jazz Sunday kicks off at The Autry Museum in Griffith Park this Sunday at 7 p.m. with live music from Cal State LA’s award-winning Afro Latin Ensemble. In addition to the performance, the Autry offers access to select galleries and light refreshments from the cash bar.
10. [7 p.m.] Chocolate Sundaes Comedy Show is a free event happening at The Laugh Factory Hollywood featuring top comedians and a DJ.
#SPONSORED DEAL OF THE DAY: $16 tix to Mamma Mia! at La Mirada Theatre for the Performing Arts (via Goldstar)