You know what’s handy? Waking up in the morning, firing up your phone/computer and being able to scan a super quick (but curated) rundown of the best of what lies ahead. So here it is, our list of fun things to do in Los Angeles for today, Thursday, February 6, 2020.
May it lead you to adventure!
[IMPORTANT: Want our latest ‘things to do’ rundowns sent straight to your email inbox? Sign-up for our newsletter program]
Keep in mind for some of the ticketing options we utilize affiliate links and receive a commission if you purchase through our links (affiliates noted in parenthesis).
1. [10 a.m.] FIDM Museum presents their annual “Art of Motion Picture Costume Design” exhibition from February 4 to March 21. Now in its 28th year the public can see costumes created by all five Academy Award nominees. Over 100 outstanding costume designs from 29 films in the past year will also be on display. FREE
2. [11 a.m.] L.A. Art Show is our city’s largest and longest-running art fair. The show will take place at the Los Angeles Convention Center starting February 5 with an opening night gala and continuing throiugh Sunday. This year will also celebrate the shows 25th anniversary.
3. [11 a.m.] USC Pacific Asia Museum located in Pasadena is recognized as Southern California’s only museum devoted exclusively to art from Asia and the Pacific. For their first 2020 exhibition the museum presents Oscar Oiwa: Dreams of a Sleeping World. On view from January 10 – April 26, 2020 guests walk into a dome that transports them inside a 360° dreamscape fantasy world. The site-specific piece was drawn with 120 Sharpie permanent markers and reveals hints of existential threats to the environment. Oiwa’s surreal paintings and a video documenting the creation of the mural dome greets guests before they embark into the dome.
4. [5:15 p.m.] First Thursday Art-walk in San Pedro features over 40 galleries and studios hosting public receptions in the evening plus food trucks and live music at several local many venues. An official tour starts at 6:30 p.m. at the San Pedro Chamber of Commerce. FREE
5. [5:30 p.m.] Therapeutic Thursdays at LA Historic Park is a wellness group that provides a safe space and a support system. Lead by Liza, a Promotorx member, and representatives of the L.A. County Department of Mental Health facilitate will discuss reducing stress strategies this week. FREE
6. [6 p.m.] Annenberg PetSpace is hosting its first-ever singles mixer called Must Love Dogs. working in collaboration with the dating app Dig. The free event will have canine-loving singles mingling with one another. Various fun activities will be held throughout the night and vendors Tito’s Vodka, MVMT Watches, Grounds and Hounds, Wag Hotels, and many more will have swag. FREE
7. [7 p.m.] Severance Wine Bar wants to celebrate your single status during their BREAKUP BAR POPUP. Taking place next door to the bar, the two week long party will transport guest into an anti-Valentine’s Day world with break up appropriate movie screenings, a Wall of Broken Relationships, loads of champagne, cocktails and food. Running Tuesday through Saturday from Jan. 31 till Feb. 16.
8. [8 p.m.] Head down to Scum and Villainy Cantina in Hollywood for Cosmic Karaoke night. No cover.
9. [9 p.m.] Every first and third Thursday of the month Brennan’s in Marina Del Rey hosts their famous turtle races. Since 1974, this tradition brings these little speedsters out of their sanctuary (located in the bar) for an exciting game that support charities. Race starts at 9 p.m.
10. [various] Free Museum Day: Japanese American National Museum (from 5 to 8 p.m.), Skirball Cultural Center (noon to 5 p.m.), Huntington Library (note that you have to reserve passes for the free day in advance, and it books up fast. For this reason we’d suggest you take a look at the free day for March and start planning when you need to be online to grab the tix), Long Beach Museum of Art (3 to 8 p.m.) and USC Pacific Asian Museum (5 to 8 p.m.)
The Best Things to do in L.A., straight to your inbox! Sign Up For Our Email List And You Receive...
- Two emails a week, Monday AM and Thursday AM.
- Monday: The best of the week ahead. 30+ ideas.
- Thursday: What to do this weekend. 30+ ideas.
- Occasional emails with special offers and messages from promotional parters.
- Optional emails for daily to-dos, travel tips, food recommendations, and deals.Basically, just think of us as your friend making some fun suggestions for what you might like to check out this day or week or month in L.A. Sign-up in the form below to join over 66,000 Angelenos who already subscribe!